User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyn2high View Post
    Actually Amazon has it for $99.92 and they are pretty good with returns. Here is a link. I'll let you know if it stops the pulsing on my pump.

https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Titan...8774376&sr=8-1
    I hope it solves your problem!
    Don
    2021 Solitude 310GK
    2020 Silverado 3500HD/CC/SB/SRW

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you tried connecting the trailer with the truck off? I'm hearing that helps solve the problem sometimes. There is a lot of talk of this here, on iRV2 and (I think) one of the Duramax forums (not sure which one).

I have a friend that had to get an "adapter". I thought GM fixed this back in 2016. Too bad but at least there is a work-a-round.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    Have you tried connecting the trailer with the truck off? I'm hearing that helps solve the problem sometimes. There is a lot of talk of this here, on iRV2 and (I think) one of the Duramax forums (not sure which one).
    Thanks, Larry. I thought that might help, too, but it doesn't seem to matter if I attach with the truck on or off. I also tried deleting the trailer profile the truck had stored, thinking maybe if I started from scratch it would learn the brake system correctly this time. No dice.

I checked the resistance across the brake actuator today, it's 175 ohms. It seems like the adapters basically provide a parallel path to ground through 1.5 ohms. So I've ordered some beefy resistors to wire up in a 1.5 ohm configuration, and will see if I can spoof the Chevy brake controller using that as I would an adapter. If that works, I'll probably go ahead and order an adapter.
    Don
    2021 Solitude 310GK

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DriverDon View Post
    Thanks, Larry. I thought that might help, too, but it doesn't seem to matter if I attach with the truck on or off. I also tried deleting the trailer profile the truck had stored, thinking maybe if I started from scratch it would learn the brake system correctly this time. No dice.

I checked the resistance across the brake actuator today, it's 175 ohms. It seems like the adapters basically provide a parallel path to ground through 1.5 ohms. So I've ordered some beefy resistors to wire up in a 1.5 ohm configuration, and will see if I can spoof the Chevy brake controller using that as I would an adapter. If that works, I'll probably go ahead and order an adapter.
    Well at least I know one more thing that won't work. Thanks for the update. It sounds like you are on the right track.
    Larry KE4DMG

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just want to add a quick update on the chevy/ford adapter that I received today. I checked it with an ohm meter and it is not a pure resistance. It appears to have coil inside. When I connect my ohm meter it initially shows about 19 ohms and then comes down and settles on 10.75 ohms after about 2 seconds. This makes sense since the drum electric brakes use an electro-magnetic coil. The device body is a square aluminum tube with its components potted inside so there is no way to see what is going on.

If the weather is nice tomorrow I will install it and let you know if it makes any difference.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200511_114755.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	97.9 KB 
ID:	26445
    Best regards, Lou & Diane Cetrangelo, Saint James, NY
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat | Dually | Diesel | 4x4 | Super Cab | 8' Bed | B&W Goose Ball
    2020 Solitude 310GK | Reese 20k Goosebox |1,550 Watts of Solar | Victron 3k Mutiplus II | 3 SOK 206 AH Batteries | Disk Brakes | MorRide IS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last week we called GM to try to get information on the integrated brake controller/EOH brake actuator compatibility issue. GM forwarded us to our local dealership's service department, which wasn't what we were after, but we did decide to make an appointment for them to look at the brake controller. Later that day I went into the dealership and said what I would really like is a list of the EOH brake actuators which GM successfully tested with, since their claim is that they are compatible with most EOH brake systems. This request was not met with great enthusiasm, but they did say they would contact GM to see if they had any suggestions to resolve our problem. Today they called to say that they were told we could use the Hydrastar HBA-CAM adapter with the Dexter actuator to solve this problem. After speaking with them, I was able to find this corroborating bulletin online: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...73714-9999.pdf

One interesting thing in that bulletin is the statement that the GM integrated brake controller no longer differentiates between electromagnetic and EOH brake systems. Anyway, I still plan to do a test using a resistor network as an "adapter" later this week, I'll post my results here.
    Don
    2021 Solitude 310GK

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for posting a link to that article. I am going to make a sticky and put the reference there for other 2020 GM owners. Maybe it will help someone.
    Larry KE4DMG

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A new piece of information we received today, dealing with the GD support people. Solitudes and Momentums which are being upgraded to disc brakes are now equipped with the Hydrastar brake actuator. So, apparently the Dexter actuator was only installed on a small number of units during the time ours was built. This is significant because Dexter does not publicly recommend using any adapter with their brake actuators, so using one could cause a warranty issue, or even worse, a braking problem. We are still trying to get a direct answer from Dexter on this.

I'm not convinced the GM integrated brake controller would work flawlessly with the Hydrastar brake actuator without an adapter, but the Hydrastar adapter does appear to consistently work with that combination.
    Don
    2021 Solitude 310GK

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder if GD would be willing to change your Dexter for a Hydrastar? It's a real long shot, but ya never know... Your's is probable "defective"....
    Larry KE4DMG

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, after GD contacted Dexter on my behalf yesterday, I received an email from Dexter this morning. They are in the process of getting their own EOH adapter into production, but don't expect it to be available for at least 6 weeks, and don't have pricing set for it yet. They recommended that I use the Hydrastar HBA-CAM adapter with their actuator. So, based on both GM and Dexter saying this adapter should work, I've ordered one! I'll post back once I have installed it and tried it out.
    Don
    2021 Solitude 310GK

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast