User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2021 Sollitude factory disc brakes not working with 2020 Silverado 3500HD

We recently took delivery of our 2021 310GK, with the (Dexter) disc brake upgrade. We are towing it with a 2020 Chevy Silverado 3500HD with an integrated brake controller. It seemed to work fine when we picked the trailer up, but now, when we hitch up, the brakes will function once or twice, and then the truck will post a message telling us to "Service the Trailer Brake System." At that point the truck stops sending any control voltage to the trailer brakes. There is no problem when I pull a trailer with standard electric brakes.

I am wondering if anyone has had a similar problem with a recent vintage GM truck with integrated brake controller, with the Dexter disc brake actuator, and if they have a solution.

Don
    Don
    2021 Solitude 310GK
    2020 Silverado 3500HD/CC/SB/SRW

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do the new GM trucks offer the choice of electric/surge or ELOH (electric over hydraulic) in your trailer settings menu like Fords do? Maybe it's set on electric/surge and should be on ELOH, just a thought.
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Txfivver View Post
    Do the new GM trucks offer the choice of electric/surge or ELOH (electric over hydraulic) in your trailer settings menu like Fords do? Maybe it's set on electric/surge and should be on ELOH, just a thought.
    That's a great idea, Jeff. I had looked at the trailer settings, and not seen a way to modify the trailer brake type. From what I've been able to find online, it seems the GM ITBC thinks it's smart enough to automatically determine the trailer brake type (spoiler alert: it's not). The owner's manual states it's compatible with "most" EOH systems (my quotes).

Looking at the Dexter website, there's nothing about an incompatibility with the GM ITBC, but I've found a couple of retail sites selling the Dexter EOH actuator that specifically say it's incompatible with the GM ITBC. GD support has been helpful, but seemed unaware this was a current problem. It sounds like they've only recently been doing the disc brake option install in-house. At this point, it looks as though the least expensive solution will be to buy a 3rd party brake controller and bypass the ITBC.

Don
    Don
    2021 Solitude 310GK

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Txfivver View Post
    So, on my Ford I should set it as Electric over hydraulic? I left it on electric surge, but maybe I should change it?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    2020 Solitude 2930RL-R 2019 Ford F350 SRW SB 6.7L Powerstroke

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hubie1988 View Post
    So, on my Ford I should set it as Electric over hydraulic? I left it on electric surge, but maybe I should change it?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    I believe you only use the electric over hydraulic setting if you have disc brakes with the electric powered master cylinder usually mounted on the trailer. The regular electric brakes most of us have use the electric/surge setting.
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DriverDon View Post
    We recently took delivery of our 2021 310GK, with the (Dexter) disc brake upgrade. We are towing it with a 2020 Chevy Silverado 3500HD with an integrated brake controller. It seemed to work fine when we picked the trailer up, but now, when we hitch up, the brakes will function once or twice, and then the truck will post a message telling us to "Service the Trailer Brake System." At that point the truck stops sending any control voltage to the trailer brakes. There is no problem when I pull a trailer with standard electric brakes.

I am wondering if anyone has had a similar problem with a recent vintage GM truck with integrated brake controller, with the Dexter disc brake actuator, and if they have a solution.

Don
    To my understanding Chevy trucks may need to use the Brakerite EHB adapter when you have Electric/Hydraulic Trailer Brakes. Here is a link to it on eTrailer

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories.../T4846000.html

You can try setting your truck to Electric/Hydraulic Brakes if you have the choice.

I have a question in regards to the above BrakeRite EHB Adapter on my Ford I hope someone can answer.

I have a Solitude 2020 310GK and a 2019 F350 tow vehicle. I installed the StopMyTrailer Titan / Brakerite disk brake system in my RV. Everything is working well. However, when the truck is connected every 4 seconds the brake pump gets a quick pulse. On my truck I have set it for Electric/Hydraulic brakes. Bill Halasyn at StopMyTrailer said that he heard of that happening but he was not 100% sure if installing the "Titan BrakeRite EHB Adapter for Ford/Chevy" would stop it. He added that the truck is sending a signal out to check to see if brakes are connected. If it sees the resistance of electric brakes it should stop checking.

Did anyone else have this issue? Will the adapter make it stop? Is it a non issue and to just live with the noise?
    Best regards, Lou & Diane Cetrangelo, Saint James, NY
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat | Dually | Diesel | 4x4 | Super Cab | 8' Bed | B&W Goose Ball
    2020 Solitude 310GK | Reese 20k Goosebox |1,550 Watts of Solar | Victron 3k Mutiplus II | 3 SOK 206 AH Batteries | Disk Brakes | MorRide IS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyn2high View Post
    To my understanding Chevy trucks may need to use the Brakerite EHB adapter when you have Electric/Hydraulic Trailer Brakes. Here is a link to it on eTrailer

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories.../T4846000.html
    I have read conflicting advice about whether or not this adapter would work with the Dexter actuator (and Dexter doesn't offer an adapter), but looking at the etrailer listing, there is at least one reviewer who successfully used this with the Dexter and a 2017 GM truck, and also an etrailer Q&A response indicating it would work. So this could be a solution! I plan to talk to Dexter directly today, hopefully they will be able to confirm this.
    Don
    2021 Solitude 310GK

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Acording to Bill at StopYourTrailer the adapter connects between the blue brake signal wire and the white ground wire near the pump. It provides a resistive load to simulate what the truck would see if you had conventional electric brakes. If the truck doesn't see the load it may disable braking in your case.

Have you checked with a meter what is going on between the blue brake wire and ground on your 7 pin cable on the truck. You should see voltage when you are squeeze the brake controller.

Also you could connect 12 vdc to the brake and ground on the trailer end of the connector. The trailer brake should actuate if the wiring is correct.

For my problem im going to buy the adapter and see if it helps my situation. I suppose i could check the return policy so im not out $120 if it doesn't help.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually Amazon has it for $99.92 and they are pretty good with returns. Here is a link. I'll let you know if it stops the pulsing on my pump.

https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Titan...8774376&sr=8-1

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyn2high View Post
    Acording to Bill at StopYourTrailer the adapter connects between the blue brake signal wire and the white ground wire near the pump. It provides a resistive load to simulate what the truck would see if you had conventional electric brakes. If the truck doesn't see the load it may disable braking in your case.

Have you checked with a meter what is going on between the blue brake wire and ground on your 7 pin cable on the truck. You should see voltage when you are squeeze the brake controller.

Also you could connect 12 vdc to the brake and ground on the trailer end of the connector. The trailer brake should actuate if the wiring is correct.

For my problem im going to buy the adapter and see if it helps my situation. I suppose i could check the return policy so im not out $120 if it doesn't help.
    I have confirmed that the umbilical brake wiring and the actuator are okay by applying 12v to the connector brake pin. Also, when initially operating the brakes after connection, it typically will power the actuator once or twice before it disables the brake control due to the perceived brake system problem. I had also tried measuring the brake control line voltage, but without the trailer connected, the controller doesn't supply brake control.

I tried calling Dexter, but they're on a skeletal staff currently, and the best I could do was leave a truncated message. So, not expecting any immediate response.

I may give this adapter a try as well. It's nice having the integrated brake controller, if I can get it to work!
    Don
    2021 Solitude 310GK

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast