Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Basement Storage Door replacement

Just got approval for a new basement door to replace the warped one. I have no Idea how to do this, but don't want to take it to the dealer. Anyone ever do this? They give 1/2 hour to do this so it can't be that complicated. Any input would be appreciated.
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB
    2019 Chevy 2500HD LT Crew Cab Gasser

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We've never had to replace a door but bet there are a few people on you tube that have
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    GD sent me one to replace one of ours that had a small water leak. It's not difficult.

Open the baggage door and you will see a number of screws that go into the wall around the edge. These come out. There is most likely some butyl tape or other sealant around the outside. You may want a small, thin plastic piece (like a thin putty knife) to separate that from the edge of the door that is against the outside of the trailer. Once that's separated, the whole thing comes out. It's pretty light, I did the largest door by myself.

I put sealant around the edge of the new door, then put it into place and screwed it back in. That was all there was to it. It's never leaked again.

I also had to move the magnet from the old door to the new one, and moved the level-up controls too.
    2016 Grand Design Momentum 385TH
    2014 Ram 3500 CC/LB/CTD/Aisin/4.10
    2014 Polaris RZR 800EPS

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    GD sent me one to replace one of ours that had a small water leak. It's not difficult.

Open the baggage door and you will see a number of screws that go into the wall around the edge. These come out. There is most likely some butyl tape or other sealant around the outside. You may want a small, thin plastic piece (like a thin putty knife) to separate that from the edge of the door that is against the outside of the trailer. Once that's separated, the whole thing comes out. It's pretty light, I did the largest door by myself.

I put sealant around the edge of the new door, then put it into place and screwed it back in. That was all there was to it. It's never leaked again.

I also had to move the magnet from the old door to the new one, and moved the level-up controls too.
    Sounds doable. - thanks
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    We've never had to replace a door but bet there are a few people on you tube that have
    I looked but didn't see anything that looked remotely close to what I was wanting. Then again, my search terms may leave something to be desired.
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This may be useful for you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGWXcjObNHs, here are also some useful tips: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgekWYTzd1U. If you know how to work with your hands, the replacement should go without problems. Personally, I never did it, but I did a basement overhaul by hiring a specialized company(https://ikhomepros.com/basement-reno...in-naperville/). In the performance of professionals, the process ahead of you looked very simple

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by asENEYER View Post
    This may be useful for you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGWXcjObNHs, here are also some useful tips: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgekWYTzd1U. If you know how to work with your hands, the replacement should go without problems. Personally, I never did it, but I did a basement overhaul by hiring a specialized company(https://ikhomepros.com/basement-reno...in-naperville/). In the performance of professionals, the process ahead of you looked very simple
    Sorry - misunderstanding - I was talking about the Basement Storage door in my 5th wheel. But thanks for the videos!
    Last edited by SGT ROC; 05-12-2020 at 12:54 PM.
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got the new door yesterday via UPS. Pretty simple and straightforward task. Remove the screws around the inside of the door. Use a plastic putty knife, or in my case I had a piece of oak about 1/4 inch thick and 1.5" wide. I ground a tapered edge on it and used that to break loose the silicone. Just push your choice of tool in and go all the way around the perimeter. I had to do this a couple of times. Slowly work the door frame out of the opening. Clean off all of the old silicone. This took longer than anything else. I used a razor scraper and a plastic razor scraper to remove as much as I possibly could. I then used a rag and alcohol over the area. On the new door put a hefty bead of silicone around the inside of the flange. When I say hefty it was about 1/2" wide by 1/4" high. Place the door inside the opening with the door latched in place. Once in place, open the latch and put in a screw in the top of the frame close to the center and one in the bottom. With that done, use painters tape to hold the door open and put the rest of the screws in. The corner screw holes all matched up, but some of the rest did not - not a big deal to re-drill with the self drilling screws. Make sure to slightly angle any screws you are re-drilling so that they tend to pull the door inward. Smooth out the squished out silicone making sure it sealed all the way around. Touch up as needed with more silicone. Last thing - if you have it on your door - remove the magnet from the old door and put it in place on the new door. I held the door up against the magnet on the rig, and then put painters tape on the door beside the magnet, marking where the door magnet goes. Screw in place with the Self Drilling screws and your done. A couple of notes. Wear latex (or whatever) gloves when using the silicone. I don't know abut you, but I'm messy with this stuff and get it everywhere . Do not overtighten the screws. They will either break or strip. Neither is good. (No I did not have those issues - this time). Take care and good luck. And once again, I forgot to take pictures.
    Last edited by SGT ROC; 05-12-2020 at 12:53 PM.
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SGT ROC View Post
    Got the new door yesterday via UPS. Pretty simple and straightforward task. Remove the screws around the inside of the door. Use a plastic putty knife, or in my case I had a piece of oak about 1/4 inch thick and 1.5" wide. I ground a tapered edge on it and used that to break loose the silicone. Just push your choice of tool in and go all the way around the perimeter. I had to do this a couple of times. Slowly work the door frame out of the opening. Clean off all of the old silicone. This took longer than anything else. I used a razor scraper and a plastic razor scraper to remove as much as I possibly could. I then used a rag and alcohol over the area. On the new door put a hefty bead of silicone around the inside of the flange. When I say hefty it was about 1/2" wide by 1/4" high. Place the door inside the opening with the door latched in place. Once in place, open the latch and put in a screw in the top of the frame close to the center and one in the bottom. With that done, use painters tape to hold the door open and put the rest of the screws in. The corner screw holes all matched up, but some of the rest did not - not a big deal to re-drill with the self drilling screws. Make sure to slightly angle any screws you are re-drilling so that they tend to pull the door inward. Smooth out the squished out silicone making sure it sealed all the way around. Touch up as needed with more silicone. Last thing - if you have it on your door - remove the magnet from the old door and put it in place on the new door. I held the door up against the magnet on the rig, and then put painters tape on the door beside the magnet, marking where the door magnet goes. Screw in place with the Self Drilling screws and your done. A couple of notes. Wear latex (or whatever) gloves when using the silicone. I don't know abut you, but I'm messy with this stuff and get it everywhere . Do not overtighten the screws. They will either break or strip. Neither is good. (No I did not have those issues - this time). Take care and good luck. And once again, I forgot to take pictures.
    Just curious, how warped were your doors? The doors on my Imagine are slightly warped outwards in the middle, so I wouldn't mind some more information for comparison. Thanks!
    2019 Imagine 2400bh
    2019 f150 XLT Crew, 6.5' box, 3.55 ratio

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveO View Post
    Just curious, how warped were your doors? The doors on my Imagine are slightly warped outwards in the middle, so I wouldn't mind some more information for comparison. Thanks!
    Pretty Bad - from the center outward about 3/4" each side. I was surprised they didn't leak.
    New one is nice and Flat.
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast