User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice needed!

nguyenbio

Advice needed!

Okay folks, the baby is down for a month while in for some maintenance and service. While in there, I was asking about adding a second air to the bedroom. Has anyone added a non-factory second air? Meaning it was not installed at the factory.
    If you did add a second air, was it tied into the ductwork or did it just dump into the bedroom. I would love some real world advice from folks with real world experiences.

Thanks and be safe!

nguyenbio
    One more thing! Is the ductwork easily accessible from the Vent cutout in the Reflections line?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You may have more luck getting an answer if you post this question in the manufacturers corner "tech" section. Grand Design keeps tabs on that section and provides answers to these type of questions.
    Andy & Julie
    Gig Harbor, Wa
    2014 Solitude 369RL S/N 104
    2012 F350 SWR 4x4 CC 6.7 Diesel

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We live in Texas and, like others who live in the SW, two ACs are important. Ours is the Atwood AirCommander. Works great and is quiet as it is ducted into the living room AC. If I were to do it again, I would have them install a low profile AC. I don't know if Atwood makes one but if they do I would get the low profile one over the bedroom.

.....I just get a knot in my stomach every time I go under a 14' bridge - hoping the guy who was doing the measuring bridges that day was not in a hurry to get home
    Dean and Cindy
    2014 337 RLS
    Firestone Ride - Rite Airbags
    Ford F-250 6.7 Diesel

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm also going to add a second air conditioner, The ductwork is already installed to the 14" x 14" ceiling duct in the bedroom and so is the wiring already installed.

To go low profile, you'd have to change brands. Most bedroom air conditioners are the same unit as in the rear. The Atwood 13.5K unit can be ordered for a very good price online.

Lineman28
    We purchased a reflection 303 today and they are putting the extra air in the bed room They say it will tie into the ducts in the bedroom but will not be connected to the thermostat you will have to manually turn it on or up/down on the unit itself. I looked at the unit while there and it had a nice fold down door that opened to the controls

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Joe and Samantha. we added an A/C unit in the Bedroom and the dealer did the installation. As I understand it there are 2 ways to add a B/R A/C. One is not to duct it and the air just comes out of the unit. The other is to tie it in to the ducting so it utilizes the ceiling ducts. If it is ducted they need to add a plenum which does not come with the A/C unit and do some minor work in the hole where the unit goes to open up to the ducts. It is a little more work to do it that way but I think it's the right way and that's what we had done. Some may not agree.

I'd have a good conversation with the service manager and have him explain what they intend to do.
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The ductwork and wiring for a second a/c unit is already installed. You've got to remove the 14" x 14" vent, and it's all there. The A/C unit fits through the vent hole.

I looked at the instruction instructions online, and installation of a ducted a/c unit is not that difficult. Lifting an 85 lb. unit up a ladder seems to be the toughest part of the job.

The a/c unit can be ordered online at a savings. The face plate is separately ordered--whether ducted or non-ducted. Those with fifth wheel trailers prepped for an additional unit would used non-ducted faceplate.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...I made sure to have a second thermostat installed for the second Atwood AC unit.
    Dean and Cindy
    2014 337 RLS
    Firestone Ride - Rite Airbags
    Ford F-250 6.7 Diesel

Tileguy
    We had the dealer install a second unit in our 323bhs. They installed a Dometic unit that is connected with the duct system and has a second thermostat in the bedroom.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast