User Tag List

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tow vehicle pricing

I'm still looking at different tow vehicles and I'm not sure what the fair price should be. There is an F250 (2019 six speed) and Ram 3500 (2020 ASIN six speed) dually that I'm considering. Both trucks are nicely equipped (Lariat/Laramie trims). Honestly I don't need the 3500 but both vehicles come in at a very similar price points. Ram is only couple k more. The dealer is asking 65K for F250; I think it's a bit high considering it's a previous model year. Another thing that worries me is that it's been sitting on the lot probably for a while. In addition to these vehicles there is a 2020 3500 Dually Big Horn (ASIN six speed) edition for 64k.

Since F250 is a previous model year Ford is offering MSRP (74k) at 0% for 60 months or MSRP - discount ($9500) @standard rate. I thought that it would be 0% for 60 months no matter what price we'd agree upon. What should it be?

Will I upgrade my travel trailer to a 5th wheel or bigger trailer? Probably not any time soon. We are towing Imagine 2400BH and honestly our F150 does ok with it. What I like about diesels are two things, exhaust brake and better bigger brakes in general, plus better payload. Speaking of payload our F150 is almost 1900lbs, F250 would give us 3100lbs and Ram dually is around 4100lbs.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also have a 2400BH towed by an F250 so definitely partial to that combo.

The dually would be nice if you were to upgrade your trailer but they tough to park and you have to hand-wash them since they don't fit into a standard car wash.

Best of luck with your choice.
    ~Peter

Ford F-250 6.7 CCSB (tow vehicle), Imagine 2400BH, Cadillac Escalade 6.2 (family vehicle), BMW X5 (daily driver), Porsche 911/996 (weekend toy)

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by luke79 View Post
    I'm still looking at different tow vehicles and I'm not sure what the fair price should be. There is an F250 (2019 six speed) and Ram 3500 (2020 ASIN six speed) dually that I'm considering. Both trucks are nicely equipped (Lariat/Laramie trims). Honestly I don't need the 3500 but both vehicles come in at a very similar price points. Ram is only couple k more. The dealer is asking 65K for F250; I think it's a bit high considering it's a previous model year. Another thing that worries me is that it's been sitting on the lot probably for a while. In addition to these vehicles there is a 2020 3500 Dually Big Horn (ASIN six speed) edition for 64k.

Since F250 is a previous model year Ford is offering MSRP (74k) at 0% for 60 months or MSRP - discount ($9500) @standard rate. I thought that it would be 0% for 60 months no matter what price we'd agree upon. What should it be?

Will I upgrade my travel trailer to a 5th wheel or bigger trailer? Probably not any time soon. We are towing Imagine 2400BH and honestly our F150 does ok with it. What I like about diesels are two things, exhaust brake and better bigger brakes in general, plus better payload. Speaking of payload our F150 is almost 1900lbs, F250 would give us 3100lbs and Ram dually is around 4100lbs.
    Is the 65K the price out the door, or is that with the discount already applied? If it's with the discount applied, IMHO, that's quite a bit too high. I bought a F450 (2019) King Ranch with basically every option, out the door, for right around 70K last year. A 250 Lariat should be quite a bit lower, especially since it's not a King Ranch.

Selling at MSRP to get 0% sounds like a terrible deal to me. What's the standard rate? Do you have anywhere else to get the money, it's so cheap to borrow right now (HELOC perhaps?)

Is that 3100lb payload on the sticker? I ask because my F250 was quite a bit below that, but, again, it was a KR and optioned up (that big sunroof is heavy).

I will say, having owned a 2019 250 and 450, if you're going to be pulling a lot, a dually really does pull like a dream. My small trailer (7K landscape trailer) you literally could forget it's back there loaded to the gills. If you're going to be pulling a lot, I'd strongly consider the dually; get yourself a foam cannon and wash the car at home, it's easy, fast, does a better job and saves money.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The payload of 3480 is what the dealer states, I suppose this is from a sticker. It does seem high for a well optioned truck, especially F250. I was expecting something in at around 2500 lbs. Standard rate is 6% which is high, I can get significantly lower rate at my bank or like you said HELOC.

The price of $65K is before taxes, doc fees, and whatever other nonsense they charge. I was thinking of giving them an offer between $45K-$50K. Taxes will be another $3k on top of that.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been looking at a F250 4x4 with the STX package and 7.3 gas for about $45K. When you start looking at the Lariats, you're going to get the $10K 6.7 diesel and a $65K price. Ford is floating around a coupon for $2K to $3K cash discount on F150's and F250's--I received a $3K coupon.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At the beginning of the year I was looking at F350 7.3Gas XLT dually for around $45K. I think that was a good price. But having said that I think F250 that I mentioned earlier is simply overpriced.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dullys are BIG. They are wide. And you don't park them in tight parking lots unless you are far out. Other than that they are nice. But for what you are doing the F250 sounds OK. You've got a tough decision.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That offer sounds high to me, especially for a 2019 model that’s still on the lot. I would make an offer you’re comfortable with and see what their response is. I would also double check the yellow sticker in the door jamb to see if that quoted payload number is correct. If they won’t budge on the price, I’d find a different dealership, plenty of ford dealers out there. The one fact across the brands is that, all new trucks are overpriced.

I’ve been eyeing those new 7.3 SD fords since they introduced them. I love my Tundra and have put a lot of upgrades into it but I’ll have to see how it pulls our 2400 once we pick it up and take it camping a few times to see if a truck upgrade will be needed in the future.
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2400BH
    2017 Toyota Tundra TRD Pro Double cab

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by That 1 Ron View Post
    That offer sounds high to me, especially for a 2019 model that’s still on the lot. I would make an offer you’re comfortable with and see what their response is. I would also double check the yellow sticker in the door jamb to see if that quoted payload number is correct. If they won’t budge on the price, I’d find a different dealership, plenty of ford dealers out there. The one fact across the brands is that, all new trucks are overpriced.

I’ve been eyeing those new 7.3 SD fords since they introduced them. I love my Tundra and have put a lot of upgrades into it but I’ll have to see how it pulls our 2400 once we pick it up and take it camping a few times to see if a truck upgrade will be needed in the future.
    Right, 2019, manufactured in 2018, so it's been sitting on the lot for a long time. It's a six speed transmission, which I don't like and would prefer a 10 speed, but if I could get into a diesel for a lot less that would make me happy. I just can't see myself spending 60-70k.

BTW, 2400BH is a great trailer, we've had it for a over a year and we had almost 0 issues. We really enjoyed it last year. Our F150 tows it ok, but it does go into lower gears when in the mountains. I would guess your Tundra would be very comparable when it comes to towing experience.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by luke79 View Post
    Right, 2019, manufactured in 2018, so it's been sitting on the lot for a long time. It's a six speed transmission, which I don't like and would prefer a 10 speed, but if I could get into a diesel for a lot less that would make me happy. I just can't see myself spending 60-70k.

BTW, 2400BH is a great trailer, we've had it for a over a year and we had almost 0 issues. We really enjoyed it last year. Our F150 tows it ok, but it does go into lower gears when in the mountains. I would guess your Tundra would be very comparable when it comes to towing experience.
    Have you test driven that truck? I would worry there’s something going on with it since it hasn’t sold. That seems like a long time to sit on the lot for a fairly popular vehicle. It would have to be steeply discounted for me to consider buying it.

That’s good news on the 2400! We’re excited to camp in ours and be up off the ground!
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2400BH
    2017 Toyota Tundra TRD Pro Double cab

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast