Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Residential Fridge Ice Maker freezes up

We have a 2020 Solitude with the Samsung residential frig. The ice maker made ice (slush cubes) when the antifreeze was in the system but now will not with water. After investigating, we found the water line feeling the tray formed an ice clump at the end of the line where it fills the tray. We melted it off and the ice maker worked for 2 trays of ice until it froze up again. I called Samsung and their comment was they would send a tech out to replace the ice maker. I don't think that is the solution and I really don't want someone tearing my frig/trailer apart already unless absolutely necessary. Any thoughts?
    Gary & Debbie Reischer
    Chadds Ford, Pa
    2020 Solitude 2930RL-R
    2015 F350 Lariat CC 6.7 Diesel Pull Rite 4400 Super Glide Hitch

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by greische View Post
    We have a 2020 Solitude with the Samsung residential frig. The ice maker made ice (slush cubes) when the antifreeze was in the system but now will not with water. After investigating, we found the water line feeling the tray formed an ice clump at the end of the line where it fills the tray. We melted it off and the ice maker worked for 2 trays of ice until it froze up again. I called Samsung and their comment was they would send a tech out to replace the ice maker. I don't think that is the solution and I really don't want someone tearing my frig/trailer apart already unless absolutely necessary. Any thoughts?
    I haven't looked at how the Samsung icemaker is installed yet. Most icemaker are very easy to remove and install from the front. Usually 2 screws and remove from a notch.
    Let Samsung do their warranty work, before the warranty runs out. KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Samsung ice makers are the worst for reliability. Freezing up is a common fault. Let the tech come out and replace the ice maker.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Refrigerators with French doors and freezer located on the bottom that have ice makers located in the French door have this issue. Samsung is notorious for this.

This issue stems from the ice makers being located in the refrigerator portion of the unit. Not like the older styles of refrigerators that had double doors with ice maker located on the side door for the freezer. The ice maker has to overcome the greater temperature difference. Should be better insulated to stop the frost buildup that makes the ice maker inop.

We have a Samsung at home with two ice makers. One in the French door and one in the freezer section. The one in the freezer section works faultlessly. The one in the door will work for a week or so only after you thaw it out and reset it. After two years of this, we gave up and only use the door unit for cold water. All of our ice we get from the freezer ice maker.

Google this issue and you can find hours of reading on this. I wish we had saved the money and bought the model with only one ice maker in the freezer.
    Last edited by vonzoog; 05-15-2020 at 05:18 AM.
    2018 Momentum 376TH
    2016 RAM 3500 Dually