User Tag List

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can a raptor safely tow the 2800bh

Hello,

I know this is a backwards way of doing this. My dealer told me it was safe to tow an Imagine 2800bh with my 2019 Raptor Supercrew. I’ve already bought the trailer, towed it home, and haven’t gone camping yet. After researching a bit more and doing various calculators, I’m more confused then ever if this truck can safely pull this trailer without issue. Can someone who understands this help me figure this out? I have a weight distribution hitch. Here are the details I know for certain.

Truck:
    2019 Ford Raptor SuperCrew
    7050 GVWR
    14,250 GCWR
    8,000lb max tow rating
    800lb Max hitch weight rating (with weight distribution hitch).
    1113lbs max cargo weight capacity according to sticker on door (including passengers and cargo).

Trailer:
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2800bh
    6618lb trailer weight (according to purchase documents)
    7995 GVWR

Truck Cargo:
    -Wife and kids with combined weight of 390lbs
    -2 car seats (let’s say 50lbs combined)

Trailer Cargo:
    Haven’t put anything in it yet, but for example purposes let’s assume it’s at it’s max cargo capacity of 1377lbs (GVWR of trailer minus dry trailer weight).

I haven’t weighed the truck, trailer, or actual hitch weight on any type of scales but I can if necessary. I would really appreciate the help. Thanks so much in advance for the time helping me figure this out.

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ArizonaDave View Post
    My dealer told me it was safe...
    There's where the problems started. Dealers will tell you anything to make a sale. Fully loaded, the 2800BH could put 960 lbs. on the hitch. You missed adding fuel and personal items (you'll never have just you, your wife, the kids and their car seats in the truck - and the kids are likely to grow) to the "cargo" you'll have in the truck. You will be over the payload capacity of the truck.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My F-150 had 1486# payload capacity, 7200# GVW, and 3800# rear axle. With my wife and I towing our 2650 I was 200# over on the gross and rear axle.
    I could have spec'd out another F-150 that would been within the weight limits but under the sheet metal it's still a 1/2-ton.
    There's a new F-250 sitting in the driveway waiting for the lockdowns to be lifted.
    2019 F-250 Supercab
    2017 Imagine 2650RK

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with those above.

Here are my numbers with my 2018 Chevy 1500 and my 2019 2800bh the last time I scaled my set up (full fresh h20, full fuel tank, me and a 95# GSD and everything needed for a 3 day weekend). I also carry 5 gallons of gas for my generators, 10 extra gallons of water and an extra propane tank for an approximate 163 pounds in the bed of my truck.

Factory numbers:
    Truck GVWR 7200, GCWR 15000, Max tow 9200, Payload 1662, Axles 3950 each.
    2800bh: GVWR 7995, Payload 1495, Axles 4400 each.

Actual scale numbers:
    Truck w/camper: Front Axle: 3180, Drive Axle 4220, Trailer 7040, Gross 14440.
    Truck wo/camper: Front Axle: 3480, Drive Axle 3040, Gross 6520.

With these numbers the actual camper weight is 7920, just under the GVWR of 7995, and the trucks drive axle GAWR of 4220 was over the factory GAWR of 3950. I am under my trucks GCWR of 15000 with the actual GCWR of 14440. My estimated tongue weight with these numbers is 880, I have a tongue scale but I didn't have a chance to use it before this trip.

I did make an adjustment to my weight distributing hitch after this trip to try to move more weight to the front axle of the truck while taking weight off of the rear axle.

Hope these real world numbers show how easy it is to overload 1/2 ton trucks.
    Last edited by Unlimitedmatt; 05-07-2020 at 08:54 AM.
    2019 2800bh
    2018 Silverado 1500

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    There's where the problems started. Dealers will tell you anything to make a sale. Fully loaded, the 2800BH could put 960 lbs. on the hitch. You missed adding fuel and personal items (you'll never have just you, your wife, the kids and their car seats in the truck - and the kids are likely to grow) to the "cargo" you'll have in the truck. You will be over the payload capacity of the truck.

Rob
    Pretty much the truth, while there are a few dealers & salesman who know the in's and outs of towing specs, they are few and far between so best to read and understand the numbers yourself, which in part you have done. First thing is never go by the trailer weight often quoted by manufacturers as this is the weight of the trailer when it leaves the factory, so not real world weight that would include the trailer loaded for travel which includes batteries, propane, likely some water and of course all your gear. Looking at your numbers you report a max towing capacity of 8K and a max tongue weight of 800 pounds and 1,113 pounds of payload capacity. Your trailers GVWR , which is the number you should use, as it represents the maximum allowed weight of your trailer when fully loaded, it may not reach that number but it is best to use it as a worse case scenario. So you are 5 pounds shy of the max towing capacity of your truck and 313 pounds under your payload capacity after you factor in the hitch weight. Sounds like to make it work you better plan on not adding any accessories to the truck, carrying any gear, tools etc. in your truck and plan on your wife and the kids walking to the campground. In other words you have too little a margin, and run the risk of quickly going over the payload capacity. In addition in all my years of towing boats, RV's & cargo trailers, I have always found it prudent to have a margin of at least 10% and up to 20%. I used the 10% number when I have lived and traveled in mostly flat terrain and 20% when travelling on mountain grades. IMHO if it were me, I would be looking for a new truck or lighter trailer.
    Sorry this may not be the answer you were looking for.
    Last edited by BB&LAB; 05-07-2020 at 08:57 AM.
    Regards, Bruce, Lin An, Kenji & Suki (Our two Akitas)
    2019 Solitude 310GK-R
    2015 Ram 3500 Big Horn CC, TD, Aisin Tranny, DRW

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you all for the responses! Here are the actual weights I gathered from a Cat Scale today.

These are the figures with a full tank of gas in my truck, but other wise dry weights. Trailer is dead empty but attached to my truck via WDH in these measurements.

Truck by itself:

Steer axle 3400lbs
    Drive axle 2880 lbs
    Gross weight 6280

Truck with dry trailer attached:
    Steer axle 3360 lbs
    Drive axle 3600 lbs
    Trailer axle 6120 lbs

Gross combined weight 13,080lbs

Given this information, I probably am cutting it too close right?

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With your numbers I see this:

Your Raptor has a 7050 GVWR and your actual weight is 6280, this leaves only 770 pounds of payload left.

If you calculate the actual weight of your trailer (13080 - 6280) it is 6750. Then use 10% (which is a bit on the low side) for your estimated tongue weight, you get 675. Keep in mind that that you may find you'll need more like 12% for your tongue weight for a safer towing experience, your calculated tongue weight will be 810. And this is all before you load anything in your truck or camper.

When you add the tongue weight of the trailer it puts you over the payload for your truck.
    Last edited by Unlimitedmatt; 05-07-2020 at 03:09 PM. Reason: more math...
    2019 2800bh
    2018 Silverado 1500

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the responses and all the help guys! I traded in my raptor on a 2020 F250 Platinum diesel last night Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F53060F9-CB08-4C57-B4D2-EAFAFFAE5367.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	1.19 MB 
ID:	26540

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ArizonaDave View Post
    Thanks for the responses and all the help guys! I traded in my raptor on a 2020 F250 Platinum diesel
    Well that should do it. Congrats!

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice truck, you will enjoy for year’s to come.

I always try to remind owners it’s about stopping...not towing. I hate salesman who don’t own trucks or RV’ing.
    Bob and Cheryl, Puka the doodle
    2018 Ram 2500 Crew,Diesel,4x4
    2016 Reflection 27RL
    2012 Palomino 6.5 camper