User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ford Raptor

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, you guys convinced me. F350 platinum it is :-)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On my F150 Ford recommends no more than 50% of the weight should be transferred to the steer axle with the weight distribution bars hooked up. The fact that you only have 40# difference says you have the weight distribution bars set too tight.
    On our 2650 weighed in all-up, ready to camp configuration I was 200# over on the gross and rear axle with my F150. I could have spec'd out a heavier F150 but under the skin it's still a 1/2-ton. The new F250 is sitting in the driveway waiting for the lockdowns to ease.
    2019 F-250 Supercab
    2017 Imagine 2650RK

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ArizonaDave View Post
    Hahaha well that was easy. Welcome to the big truck party, you won't regret it!
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ArizonaDave View Post
    It will be a better vehicle for everything except jumping dunes in Baha.....
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali Diesel DRW (Crew Cab | 8 Ft bed | OEM Puck System | Curt Gooseneck Ball for OEM Puck | Timbrens on rear axle)
    2019 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3740BH-R Fifth Wheel (Onan 5500W LP Generator | MORryde CRE3000 and HD Shackles/Wet Bolts | 3x MORryde Cross Members | 8k Axles and Disc Brakes | Sailun S637 ST | Reese GooseBox 20k 2nd Gen | Splendide Stackable Washer and Dryer)
    Full Suite of Victron Energy Products (2x 5k 24v Quattro Inverter/Charger | 2x 25.6/200 LFP Smart LiFePO4 Batteries | 2880w of Solar Panels across 4x MPPTs | Cerbo GX)

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Two things that are going to get you.

CCC - wife, kids and car seats leaves you only 673
    Once you load that trailer for camping your tongue weight is going to be north of 800 lbs. So you'll end up over 127 past your CCC. I think that is a very conservative number.

The other item of bigger concern (IMO) is your hitch rating of 800 lbs. If your tongue weight is north of 800 lbs then you exceeded your hitch rating. If your hitch fails then you and your trailer part company (ending in a very bad day). If your brake cable is attached to the hitch and the hitch fails then the trailer doesn't stop when you part company (making for an even worse day).

Everyone should be attaching the brake cable to the truck itself not the hitch. I drilled a hole in my license plate and through the trucks metal backing behind the license plate. I then installed a heavy duty stainless steel eye bolt through that hole and attach my brake cable to the eye bolt. If my hitch ever fails the trailer still stops.

As for your dealer selling you a trailer that's to big for your truck, that almost happened to me. Fortunately I wanted to look around a little more. In the process of looking around I found GD and did a lot of reading. I realized that first trailer was too much for my truck, dumped that dealer and bought a GD.
    Charles and Susan
    2021 Ram 3500 Laramie, 6.4 Hemi, 4x4 CCSB
    2021 337rls w/ Andersen hitch.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmbopp View Post
    On my F150 Ford recommends no more than 50% of the weight should be transferred to the steer axle with the weight distribution bars hooked up. The fact that you only have 40# difference says you have the weight distribution bars set too tight.
    On our 2650 weighed in all-up, ready to camp configuration I was 200# over on the gross and rear axle with my F150. I could have spec'd out a heavier F150 but under the skin it's still a 1/2-ton. The new F250 is sitting in the driveway waiting for the lockdowns to ease.
    Not getting your math. He transferred zero weight to the steer axle. He kept it close to its original weight, which is the point. IMO the hitch is set up well. Sounds like he’s going bigger though anyway.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stealth13777 View Post
    Not getting your math. He transferred zero weight to the steer axle. He kept it close to its original weight, which is the point. IMO the hitch is set up well. Sounds like he’s going bigger though anyway.
    Weigh the steer axle with the truck empty, then with the trailer hooked up without the weight bars. The weight bars should be set so only 50% of the difference is transferred back to the steer axle. Instead of a scale you can take measurements at the front fender well to ground.
    2019 F-250 Supercab
    2017 Imagine 2650RK

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmbopp View Post
    Weigh the steer axle with the truck empty, then with the trailer hooked up without the weight bars. The weight bars should be set so only 50% of the difference is transferred back to the steer axle. Instead of a scale you can take measurements at the front fender well to ground.
    Interesting, wasn’t aware of that. That’s useful for initial setup, and less weight than I thought reading the hitch manual. Thank you!

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I measured the height of my front fender. Hooked up to trailer and adjusted my WDH to get my front fender back to the original height.
    Charles and Susan
    2021 Ram 3500 Laramie, 6.4 Hemi, 4x4 CCSB
    2021 337rls w/ Andersen hitch.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the responses and all the help guys! I traded in my raptor on a 2020 F250 Platinum diesel last night you guys were a huge help. Definitely not worth the risk all around. I feel much more comfortable with this setup now.
    Attachment 26540
    Last edited by ArizonaDave; 05-16-2020 at 11:46 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast