Thread: Ford Raptor

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ford Raptor

Hello,

I know this is a backwards way of doing this. My dealer told me it was safe to tow an Imagine 2800bh with my 2019 Raptor Supercrew. I’ve already bought the trailer, towed it home, and haven’t gone camping yet. After researching a bit more and doing various calculators, I’m more confused then ever if this truck can safely pull this trailer without issue. Can someone who understands this help me figure this out? I have a weight distribution hitch. Here are the details I know for certain.

Truck:
    2019 Ford Raptor SuperCrew
    7050 GVWR
    14,250 GCWR
    8,000lb max tow rating
    800lb Max hitch weight rating (with weight distribution hitch).
    1113lbs max cargo weight capacity according to sticker on door (including passengers and cargo).

Trailer:
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2800bh
    6618lb trailer weight (according to purchase documents)
    7995 GVWR

Truck Cargo:
    -Wife and kids with combined weight of 390lbs
    -2 car seats (let’s say 50lbs combined)

Trailer Cargo:
    Haven’t put anything in it yet, but for example purposes let’s assume it’s at it’s max cargo capacity of 1377lbs (GVWR of trailer minus dry trailer weight).

I haven’t weighed the truck, trailer, or actual hitch weight on any type of scales but I can if necessary. I would really appreciate the help. Thanks so much in advance for the time helping me figure this out.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to address payload calculation: 1113-440 leaves you 673 for tongue weight.
    Tongue weight should be 10% to 15% of trailer GVWR, so if you are loaded all the way to max (7995), that is 799 to 1199 TW. Putting you over payload by 126 to 526.

Best bet is to load up and find a CAT scale at a near-by truck stop and see exactly what your numbers are. Your combination will be near (to possibly over) the truck's ratings, but depending on how much stuff you take (and how/where you place it), you should be able to be "legal" on your numbers.
    2019 2970RL
    2020 F250

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ArizonaDave the thing to remember here is what the Raptor was designed for...offroading and soft landings! I have a friend with a 2019 Raptor who is into old cars. We recently towed a 68 Mustang on a 2 axle open car trailer and the Raptor sagged pretty badly under the tongue weight. The car was not loaded all the way to the front so tongue weight was probably 7-800 pounds and it pulled fine but was tail dragging due to the softer rear springs and shocks. I think I'd hook up and try it with a good WD hitch and see what you think, definitely hit the Cat scales also.
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the reply guys! Is the suspension the concern with payload and tongue weight? I bought Timbren progressive “springs” for it which basically act as a large progressive “air bag” but it’s solid rubber and replaces the factory bump stop with a much larger solid rubber one for towing. They are designed to eliminate sag when towing. With them installed and a dry trailer, the truck sits pretty level and I don’t really have much of any sag. If the standard f150’s higher tow capacity is due to stiffer suspension, I wonder if sag is avoided with the help of these Timbrens on the Raptor, if it would allow me to safely tow. Even if so, is there anything that can be done to my raptor suspension wise (the timbrens, maybe a new leaf pack from Deaver) to legally and safely allow me to tow this loaded?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BC0B62E1-8DD5-4B90-98EC-52749D5347AB.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	26357

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FA6CF444-6343-469F-A628-2A826A5F8C68.jpeg 
Views:	113 
Size:	20.3 KB 
ID:	26358

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That actually looks pretty good level wise, the weight distributing hitch makes all the difference. Again we were not using one when towing the car trailer.
    Jeff

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok so update!! I took it to the CAT scales. These are the figures with a full tank of gas in my truck, but other wise dry weights. Trailer is dead empty but attached to my truck via WDH in these measurements.

Truck by itself:

Steer axle 3400lbs
    Drive axle 2880 lbs
    Gross weight 6280

Truck with dry trailer attached:
    Steer axle 3360 lbs
    Drive axle 3600 lbs
    Trailer axle 6120 lbs

Gross combined weight 13,080lbs

Given this information, can you guys help me figure out if I’m over my limit as is, or how much weight I can add to my truck and cargo and trailer before I hit my max limits? Thanks so much for the help!

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok so your original post said your cargo capacity on the truck sticker was 1113 pounds. If you take the rear axle weight hitched up minus the unhitched rear axle weight your tongue weight is 720 pounds. 1113-720= 393 pounds. this is how much room you have to add cargo in the truckbed and any added cargo in the trailer. Doable but getting close. The problem will be when you add propane to the tanks and a battery or batteries if they're not installed yet and then some normal camping stuff if the front storage on the trailer. Add in any people in the truck and you will probably be over the max payload on the truck. Will this destroy the truck, no of course. A lot depends on how the truck handles the trailer when towing. Raptors are nice trucks though!
    Last edited by Txfivver; 05-07-2020 at 12:50 PM.
    Jeff

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ya the Raptors are just not made for towing. As a comparison point, my Mazda CX-9 has slightly MORE payload.....
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali Diesel DRW (Crew Cab | 8 Ft bed | OEM Puck System | Curt Gooseneck Ball for OEM Puck | Timbrens on rear axle)
    2019 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3740BH-R Fifth Wheel (Onan 5500W LP Generator | MORryde CRE3000 and HD Shackles/Wet Bolts | 3x MORryde Cross Members | 8k Axles and Disc Brakes | Sailun S637 ST | Reese GooseBox 20k 2nd Gen | Splendide Stackable Washer and Dryer)
    Full Suite of Victron Energy Products (2x 5k 24v Quattro Inverter/Charger | 2x 25.6/200 LFP Smart LiFePO4 Batteries | 2880w of Solar Panels across 4x MPPTs | Cerbo GX)

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even if so, is there anything that can be done to my raptor suspension wise (the timbrens, maybe a new leaf pack from Deaver) to legally and safely allow me to tow this loaded?
    Nothing you do to your suspension changes your tow/weight limits. It might make it tow better but it won't change your tow/weight limits.
    Charles and Susan
    2021 Ram 3500 Laramie, 6.4 Hemi, 4x4 CCSB
    2021 337rls w/ Andersen hitch.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cookinwitdiesel View Post
    Ya the Raptors are just not made for towing. As a comparison point, my Mazda CX-9 has slightly MORE payload.....
    Ha that's so true! My daily driver is a '19 Explorer Sport and since it's a 7 passenger vehicle the payload sticker shows 1380 pounds! That's 200 more than the last F150 I owned.
    Jeff

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast