User Tag List

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Waste/Macerator pump suggestions

We have a Flojet macerator pump that I use to empty our tanks when boondocking. I am getting so fed up with that thing! It is forever overheating and shutting down or blowing the fuse. I'm only pumping 15' and 3' vertical through 5/8 hose.
    I would like to switch to something that is 115V but most of the commercial versions are prohibitively expensive.
    I have heard of a few people who have modified a garbage disposal pump to do the same thing. Has anyone here done that and would you have any recommendations or tips to share?

Thanks
    Rob, Chris and fur baby Maya - Follow us at rctravels.rmcd.ca
    2019 Solitude 374TH, Victron Multiplus II 3000 2x120, Cerbo GX, 6x Battle Born 100AH, 1800W Solar, Blue Sky CC's, Starlink
    2023 GMC Sierra Duramax Denali 4x4 DRW Longbox Crew Cab, Curt Q25

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KamFlyer View Post
    We have a Flojet macerator pump that I use to empty our tanks when boondocking. I am getting so fed up with that thing! It is forever overheating and shutting down or blowing the fuse. I'm only pumping 15' and 3' vertical through 5/8 hose. I would like to switch to something that is 115V but most of the commercial versions are prohibitively expensive. I have heard of a few people who have modified a garbage disposal pump to do the same thing. Has anyone here done that and would you have any recommendations or tips to share? Thanks
    I don't know anything at all about them, but it's disconcerting that many RV-related reviewers put the pump you hate at the top of their reviews.

When looking for quality not always found in the RV industry it's sometimes worth looking at the marine industry. Here's a link:

https://www.westmarine.com/macerator-pumps

One thing I'd wonder about is the ability to pump uphill... marine owners are often pumping down. But it might be worth exploring some of those products.

Good luck.

EDIT: I did a bit more reading about them on marine forum web sites and found a lot of frustration about macerators pumping uphill. One poster described problems almost exactly like yours and attributed them to infrequent use of the pump and material solidifying around the impeller; said he often had to get the impeller going with a screwdriver.
    Last edited by boyscout; 05-07-2020 at 03:39 PM.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check you wires. Are they large enough to carry the full current and then some? I don't think the pump should overheat. Also check the fuse holder to be sure it is a good one and can carry the current the pump draws; it may have bad contacts inside of it.

I had a macerator once. The least of my worries was power but I had installed a dedicated power source wired directly from the battery.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    Check you wires. Are they large enough to carry the full current and then some? I don't think the pump should overheat. Also check the fuse holder to be sure it is a good one and can carry the current the pump draws; it may have bad contacts inside of it.

I had a macerator once. The least of my worries was power but I had installed a dedicated power source wired directly from the battery.
    ^^^^ Larry is dead-on above. Check the wire size on your macerator & fuse size (at the receptacle you're using). This may solve your problem "on the cheap!"

If you ultimately want to design your own setup, I bought the following pump/macerator on Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/Amarine-Made-..._=sb_s_sparkle) and bought/added the appropriate parts to make my own setup. I can't say how well it works because I haven't used it yet, but once I do I will update this thread. I think overall the entire setup amounted to about $150 or near there. I can dig up the relevant details if you're interested, just let me know.

Stay safe! -Diego

2017 Ford F350 DRW 6.7L Custom Ordered
    2018 GD Solitude 310GK
    40,900+Miles
    "Censorship reflects society's lack of confidence in itself." -Potter Stewart

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One other thing I forgot to mention. You might install a "momentary" switch that activates the circuit only for as long as you depress it. Then when you are macerating, only depress the switch for several seconds at a time until the dumping is complete. This will help prevent the pump from overheating.

2017 Ford F350 DRW 6.7L Custom Ordered
    2018 GD Solitude 310GK
    40,900+Miles
    "Censorship reflects society's lack of confidence in itself." -Potter Stewart

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2020 Grand Design Solitude 344GK
    B&W Companion 25,000
    Disc Brake conversion
    3 - X-Factor
    MORryde pinbox
    2007 GMC Topkick C5500 Duramax 6.6
    1 Wife 3 Scotties

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Flojet and the smallest wire in the circuit is 12 gauge. I'm running full 3/4" hose and pumping the tanks into a drum mounted in the truck bed. Yes, the pump will stall out and blow the 20A fuse if you let it run dry. Overall I'm satisfied with it.
    Floating around the Internet I saw a post about someone converting a home garbage disposal to a macerator pump.
    2019 F-250 Supercab
    2017 Imagine 2650RK

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I snatched a 1.25 HP stainless garbage disposal from Costco ($99) and a 1 HP flow pump from Lowes ($73). I was going to use a 3/4 HP, but as I was walking in, somebody else was walking in to return that pump as it didn't work for his needs and I ended up getting it for less than the 3/4 HP before my discount. Due to the clearance issues I had when I first built it, I have the disposal laying on it's side with the outlet at the bottom, then rubber hoses to and from the pump and then quick connects to 1" PVC. My run is almost 50" and tops out at about 4 foot lift at the high spot. This system does create some vacuum if there is a bit of a clog on the tank side. It's not as fast as taking a regular dump, but since it stays hooked up at home, I can pull the valve, plug it in and as long as I stay within earshot of it I know when it is done, but I refer to watch the clear connection to see what is coming out to see if I need a cleaning flush.
    Jerry & Kelly Powell
    Zebulon, NC
    2020 Solitude 390RK-R :target:

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the Thetford Sanicon Turbo macerating pump. I have never had an overheat or fuse blow. It has a 1 1/2” waste pipe. Pumps fast and has no problem going up hill,
    Dennis, Pat, Prince and the Lady - Western New York
    2018 Solitude 310GK- 2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW - Blue Ox Super Ride