User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

battery disconnect key replacement

when I am moving storage boxes around in my pass through, I bump the battery disconnect key and drop everything electrical! I really hate where they put that key and that it is so easy to bump.

Does any one know of a key replacement that is just a nub? Or, am I just going to disconnect the whole thing and hard wire it!

Has anyone moved the key part from the pass through to the front storage where it should have been in the first place?
    2015 Ford F350 6.7L TurboDiesel, Crew Cab, short bed SRW, 4x4, Lariat
    2021 Reflection 5th Wheel 337
    Pullrite Superglide hitch, TST507 TPMS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Juiceman View Post
    Has anyone moved the key part from the pass through to the front storage where it should have been in the first place?
    Yes. I did on our Solitude. I made a wooden support for the factory disconnect switch and mounted it directly above the circuit breakers in the front compartment. Caution, the black plastic wall covering is conductive. Make sure that neither terminal touches the wall. While I was cleaning up I made battery cable out of #4 wire (one size up from factory) and rewired it so the switch was a true disconnect (except for the breakaway switch). I also traced and labeled a lot of wires/connections. I do not have a picture of the final install, but it was fairly straight forward.

Chris

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9294.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	98.0 KB 
ID:	26362
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your setup sounds similar to mine. The 12V disconnect switch pokes through the wooden partition from the front cargo bay and into the pass-thru cargo bay. I haven't done it yet, but I want to remedy the same problem you're having with yours. I was thinking I would turn the switch 180-degrees and install it in the front cargo bay where the electrical leads are. I would have to construct something out of wood to make a small box for the switch to attach to the partition on the front cargo bay side. Seems like it would be a pretty straight forward job and you would now turn the key on/off from the front cargo bay instead. Good luck! -Diego

2017 Ford F350 DRW 6.7L Custom Ordered
    2018 GD Solitude 310GK
    40,900+Miles
    "Censorship reflects society's lack of confidence in itself." -Potter Stewart

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I moved the disconnect from the curb side of the storage compartment to the street side upper corner of the storage compartment.
    2018 Reflection 315RLTS
    2023 F350 Lariat 6.7L/CC/LB/FX4

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gran Casita View Post
    Your setup sounds similar to mine. The 12V disconnect switch pokes through the wooden partition from the front cargo bay and into the pass-thru cargo bay. I haven't done it yet, but I want to remedy the same problem you're having with yours. I was thinking I would turn the switch 180-degrees and install it in the front cargo bay where the electrical leads are. I would have to construct something out of wood to make a small box for the switch to attach to the partition on the front cargo bay side. Seems like it would be a pretty straight forward job and you would now turn the key on/off from the front cargo bay instead. Good luck! -Diego
    Hi Diego. I ******-u-me you where replying to @Juiceman. Using "Reply with Quote" makes that clear. Anyway, what you are describing is exactly what I did in our Solitude 310GK. Post #2 shows the holder/spacer I made to keep all of the wiring on the same (front compartment) side of the basement partition.

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CoChris View Post
    Hi Diego. I ******-u-me you where replying to @Juiceman. Using "Reply with Quote" makes that clear. Anyway, what you are describing is exactly what I did in our Solitude 310GK. Post #2 shows the holder/spacer I made to keep all of the wiring on the same (front compartment) side of the basement partition.

Chris
    Yes Chris, you are correct, I was replying to @Juiceman. Sorry, I forgot to use the quotes. However, I did not look at your picture closely the first time and that's exactly what I'd like to do on a future project. I like the way you labeled the circuits too! Thanks Chris! -Diego

2018 GD Solitude 310GK
    40,900+Miles

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    UPDATE: thanks to the group for the idea of a little wooden box to flip the switch around to the front storage area and cover the hole left behind. I am pretty handy with wood, so it was a 1-hour project even with painting it black.

Name:	BatteryDisconnect.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	94.2 KB 
ID:	26467
    2015 Ford F350 6.7L TurboDiesel, Crew Cab, short bed SRW, 4x4, Lariat
    2021 Reflection 5th Wheel 337
    Pullrite Superglide hitch, TST507 TPMS

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    UPDATE: thanks to the group for the idea of a little wooden box to flip the switch around to the front storage area and cover the hole left behind. I am pretty handy with wood, so it was a 1-hour project even with painting it black.

Name:	BatteryDisconnect.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	94.2 KB 
ID:	26467
    Nice job! I will hopefully tackle that one soon.

2018 GD Solitude 310GK
    40,900+Miles

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am in the process, materials order. Electrical wire 4AWG and terminals plus two Blue Sea battery disconnect switches, all coming from different sources. Once here, will reconfigure the front utility bay to incorporate having everything inside it. I have two batteries since my unit is a 375RES-R, inverter for residential Frig.

Will post pics when in process. Right now plan is on paper.

I just reconfigured the battery box with a Husky storage box to encase the batteries. The individual battery boxes that came with the Trailer had the wiring all compressed and out of sorts. Had to go.

Gary
    Last edited by FOWLERGK; 05-14-2020 at 11:11 AM.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice job. Next phase: replace the switch with a good one and re-wire things so that the switch actually does "disconnect" the batteries.

As shipped from the factory there are usually a few things that remain connected even when the switch is off, and they can drain a battery flat within a few weeks. Sometimes alarms, often the landing gear, the brakes, sometimes the radio. Our trailer was drawing 0.4 to 0.6 amps with the "disconnect" switch off.

The switch at the following link is a nice one used by a number of owners here, including me. It allows for the possibility of more than one battery, or more than one battery bank, in the future.

https://www.amazon.com/SYSTEMS-Batte...578856&sr=8-16

When you're done that job come back and we'll help you spend MORE of your money/time!

Good luck.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast