User Tag List

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonl78 View Post
    I'm not try to offend anyone's ability but who actually measured the camper? You said it was over 35 feet. Will removing the ladder get you what you need? How about the tail lights and the receiver hitch? Are they going to put you over the 34'8" mark you desire?

I've got to agree with others here, if you've put two years into a search to find your dream unit, and you let a ladder stop you, you'll cause yourself more personal anguish settling for something less.

Maybe I'm the odd duck here but I can't imagine not having a ladder. I use it every trip. I climb on the roof to sweep it off before pulling in the slides and to remove branches and debris. Carrying a separate ladder taking up vital room isn't that viable of an option to me either. If the ladder has to go, cut the ladder at the bases and cap them. I'm sure someone could come up with an ingenious idea for those capped bases (ie towel racks or clothes hangers) when you're camping.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
    I took a 100' foot tape to the dealer and my wife and I measured it ourselves. My building is unfinished inside, so the hitch and lights will clear the wall supports, as they only stick out 2 to 3 inches. but the ladder sticks out 7 inches which means it won't even clear if I cut the supports completely into. I built my own house, so I am pretty good with a tape. I could live with a separate ladder, as I also use my every trip, not ideal but doable.

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PTParker View Post
    You sound a lot like me! That is what is driving me crazy! Sometimes I wish I were not so Particular, even though some people say that is what they like about me, I am a stickler for detail.
    If/when it really comes down to it and you really, really want the Reflection, the screw holes are easily filled and painted by a good body shop..

We see lots (surprisingly many) brand new units come from the factory with factory repairs that are filled and painted.

Our onsite body shop does it all the time for impacts and accident repairs.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Txfivver View Post
    Wow that would be nerve racking to me to back that trailer in that close! I'm always backing in by myself and I have a good 6 ft of clearance in my storeroom but it still has a pucker factor for me even with a backup camera.
    My wife spots for me, which would cause a divorce with some people, but she is good at directing me to not hit things. Not so good backing me under a ball, so thankful for backup camera's!

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntr70 View Post
    If/when it really comes down to it and you really, really want the Reflection, the screw holes are easily filled and painted by a good body shop..

We see lots (surprisingly many) brand new units come from the factory with factory repairs that are filled and painted.

Our onsite body shop does it all the time for impacts and accident repairs.
    If I spotted it, I would refuse to take delivery! I do not know anyone that would buy a new car that had been damaged and had body work done on it! I really don't know what I will do at this point! We are going to have to weigh our options and decide which is more important to us.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gran Casita View Post
    One other thought I scavenged from my sailing days & resources, but maybe if you swapped-out the ladder's round rail base with these https://www.suncorstainless.com/roun...base-90-degree or something similar. These bases look like a direct replacement and are much stouter than the OEM. On the downside, the stainless base would stand out, but you could try painting them first. Each base comes with two set screws that you could loosen when you need to remove the ladder for storage?

My only concern with this custom setup would be the set screws. I would have to ensure they did not loosen and thereby create a hazardous condition. I suppose you could also retrofit the base to accept a cotter pin of adequate size to secure the stand-offs to the base.

Just a closing thought that popped-up before I turned in for the night! -Diego
    Interesting idea! I had looked for something similar but did not have any luck finding something removable. I may investigate this further! Thanks for the link! This is why this forum is so valuable! Lots of ideas to consider and food for thought! Not sure how secure the set screws would be on the aluminum? Stainless is so much harder.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post
    That was going to be my suggestion, it should not be too difficult to add a bit of a "Bump-out" to the area where the ladder would fit.

Heck, you might be able to just remove a single metal panel in the area where the ladder would fit into, you wouldn't even have to replace the metal with more metal, you could easily build a wooden box around the ladder that could be made water proof and save the metal for whenever you don't have the camper any more.
    I looked at it, but my supports are horizontal and are doubled 2X6's, and they are lapped running though vertical supports because of the length of the wall. So, it is going to be a entire wall rebuild.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I spotted it, I would refuse to take delivery! I do not know anyone that would buy a new car that had been damaged and had body work done on it! I really don't know what I will do at this point! We are going to have to weigh our options and decide which is more important to us.
    Please do not take offence to this because I used to be like you in these matters. BUT... The world is an imperfect place and the sooner you learn to deal with lifes imperfections, the more time you will have to enjoy life without been stressed.
    2019 2800bh
    2018 Silverado 1500

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You'd be surprised (and probably disappointed) to know how many cars show up on lots with damage and are repaired before ever being sold. A lot happens on those rails when they're delivered.
    Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte

2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
    2020 Momentum 351M

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sure you already have owned a car/truck.

60% of all new vehicles have been touched up before they hit the lot.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure why GD won't leave the ladder off. It's not as if it affects the integrity of the unit(unless of course GD thinks the ladder somehow helps keep the backwall attached to the frame). I'll get flamed for this but GD build quality is really now no better or worse then the rest of the manufactures. That was not the case in the early years.
    I'd just go with another manufacturer that can supply what you want. These things are way too much money to be filling screw holes with bondo right off the lot.
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Sold: 2015 27RL
    2016 Ram 3500 Crewcab Cummins SRW

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast