User Tag List

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PTParker View Post
    Man if all these new trailers are that junkie, I may need to rethink keeping the one I have! 7 years with zero problems other than reattaching a couple of pieces of trim.
    Sometimes I'm a little harsh on the industry but I think they need it. I build specialized equipment including heavy trucks. The first heavy truck completion I built is still working on/off road after 25 years. I say this because it shows that I have an idea of how things should be put together. Some of the things I have found in the two fifth wheels that I've had are just appalling. I agree with you that for the prices we pay, they should be what we want... And well built. And BTW, trim falling off is not acceptable either at these prices.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roll With The Changes View Post
    Sometimes I'm a little harsh on the industry but I think they need it. I build specialized equipment including heavy trucks. The first heavy truck completion I built is still working on/off road after 25 years. I say this because it shows that I have an idea of how things should be put together. Some of the things I have found in the two fifth wheels that I've had are just appalling. I agree with you that for the prices we pay, they should be what we want... And well built. And BTW, trim falling off is not acceptable either at these prices.
    I agree, these things are as expensive as cars, without all the Machining and tech that cars have! I can tell you, if these things were built as efficient and as well as cars, they would be half the price! I have done quiet a bit of construction in my life and am also appalled at how quick and cheaply these things are built! I have often thought, If I could incorporate the things I know about the auto industry into building RV's, they would be much better quality!!

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roll With The Changes View Post
    I definitely feel your pain. I agree that your request of GD should not be a problem but here you are. Things are seldom exactly what we what them to be so we always have to settle for something. Whatever you decide, it will be the right choice because it sounds like you are an over thinker like most of us here.
    Definitely an over thinker! Drives my wife crazy! She says, "I research things to death"! But, I generally make good purchases, and take care of the stuff I have. In fact, I still own most of what I have bought over the years! Wow, I have a lot of "Stuff"! Keeps me broke buying tires and batteries!

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cookinwitdiesel View Post
    No one has mentioned the likelihood of owner induced body damage that is likely to occur having to park the trailer within 1" of the rear wall of the garage after every trip - even if he gets the ladder removed. These things work well and do not look brand new forever, fortunately that impacts the usability and enjoyability exactly zero?

Here is what I did literally the first time parking my new Solitude at home bringing it home from the dealer. You fix it and move on. Hasn't impacted my enjoyment of the trailer for 5 seconds since it happened a year and 8k miles ago. It has a friend at the front now too (this was at the rear). Since then the tree has been "adjusted" and my wife has a much better idea of what to watch for now

I have also put nearly 200 holes into the roof installing solar, holes are a thing, not the end of the world at all.

Attachment 26413

Attachment 26412
    Great post. You hit it on the head with how your enjoyment had not been diminished because of damage that has been repaired. RVing is about a lifestyle, not about the RV. The RV is a tool to help us achieve that lifestyle. It is important to choose the right tool. It is important to take care of our tools. The tools we use most will get some scratches. As you have done here, you got a scratch and repaired to the point that it will not get worse. If the cosmetic aspect troubled you more, you could have spent more money and brought it to a level that satisfied your personal tastes.

So back to the original post. This isn't a judgment of your personal taste, we are all different. Your choice is about what will get under your skin the most; or rather, what will let you enjoy RVing the most. My sense is you already know that and you are venting your frustration about GD's lack of willingness to accommodate what seems to you (to be honest, to me too) to be a reasonable request.

Best of luck in your search to find something that works for you!
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7L PowerStroke DRW
    2017 Solitude 379FLS

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I may wreck mine next trip out, but knock on wood, I have never done any damage to a trailer in 35 years of pulling them! Never had a break down on the road either. I have put a few scratches on my truck however!
    Jinx !!!
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB
    2019 Chevy 2500HD LT Crew Cab Gasser

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you given thought to "Artwork" to cover the area where the ladder was? Something like a thin board decorated to you or more likely your wife's fancy coated in epoxy or whatever they use for protection? You could even use the screws from the ladder removal to attach it. I have a million thoughts going through my head on what that "Artwork" could be, and what it could be made from. Put places you've been, scenes from places you've been, sayings, funny or otherwise, Flowers, Animal pics, - you name it. Since I don't use my ladder (afraid of heights) I might even do it! I doubt it though cause DW is NOT afraid of heights. Anyway, food for thought!
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB
    2019 Chevy 2500HD LT Crew Cab Gasser

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If they are, they are doing it at the lot. I worked in the auto industry for 30 years, GM at least do not "touch up" anything. If a door has a ding, the whole door gets repainted. Also, I have purchased more new cars than I would like to admit. I look them over very well, and have never bought one that has been "Touched up".
    That you know of.
    Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte

2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
    2020 Momentum 351M

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I would have to think about that before I could get used to the idea of doing that! Don't really want to do that, but I guess I will have to weigh my options and see which I hate the worst, the holes or owning an inferior camper.
    Ace Hardware has painted stainless screws that match the siding color. I bought them to fill the Furrion camera mount holes when I put a Haloview camera in. You can hardly see them.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I wanted to become part of the Grand Design family, but I guess Grand Design does not want me! We have been looking at Grand Designs for 2 years and they finally came out with a floor plan this year that I thought would go in my storage building that we really liked! But, when we measured it they had under reported the length! They gave it as 34' 8", but with the MANDITORY ladder it is actually over 35'! I got the salesman at one Grand Design dealer to talk to 2 different people at Grand Design and they said, " they will not leave the ladder off if I order one"! My home Grand Design dealer, I have not been able to get him to talk to anyone! He just keeps sending me emails telling me to "Challenge him with whatever is stopping me from buying" but when I do, he ignores it!!! I have been told he is going to work on it, but every time it is a different excuse! I have been waiting over a week and have heard nothing from him! I also talked to a Grand Design rep directly and he said they would not build one like that.

So, I guess this is fare well my friends. I guess I will have to go with another company, even if I will likely not be as happy with the trailer I get. Cougar and Rockwood have a trailer of similar design and floor plan that will go in my building, but through my research I have found issue with each on their build quality! But, I want to keep it in my building, because that is the life of a trailer, to keep it out of the weather 24/7 so I guess I don't have a choice but to be adopted by another family, maybe one that actually wants me. So, so long Brothers and sisters, Happy camping!
    Cya

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everyone is different, but I sure wouldn't look at removing the ladder as "repair", or a defect in the trailer. I would look at it as a modification.

We all want our trailers to look good, especially when new. However, as one of the previous posters mentioned, all RV's built today are really poorly made. If you can keep one just looking decent, and rolling down the road, you are ahead of the game. Stainless steel or painted screws in the rear of the trailer will not hurt your camping experience one bit. You will notice the modification every time you walk around the trailer for about 3 trips, then you will never notice it again.

What really interests me about the OP is the precision backing needing to get the trailer in the garage. Even if the ladder is removed, it still looks as though we are talking an inch or two in wall clearance. I'm pretty good at backing a trailer, but even with someone at the back of the trailer I'm not sure I can back it up in just 1 inch increments.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678