User Tag List

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by minnow101 View Post
    Not sure why GD won't leave the ladder off. It's not as if it affects the integrity of the unit(unless of course GD thinks the ladder somehow helps keep the backwall attached to the frame). I'll get flamed for this but GD build quality is really now no better or worse then the rest of the manufactures. That was not the case in the early years.
    I'd just go with another manufacturer that can supply what you want. These things are way too much money to be filling screw holes with bondo right off the lot.
    That is one thing I am trying to decide. If they are really any better than others? I have seen more suspension problems on GD than most others. Also, parts that were rusted 2 weeks after build that should not be rusting that soon, some subject to failure down the road. I talked to GD about those issues last year. I think GD attention to detail is still a little better than most, but if they are truly built better from a lasting stand point, I am still not sure.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntr70 View Post
    I'm sure you already have owned a car/truck.

60% of all new vehicles have been touched up before they hit the lot.
    If they are, they are doing it at the lot. I worked in the auto industry for 30 years, GM at least do not "touch up" anything. If a door has a ding, the whole door gets repainted. Also, I have purchased more new cars than I would like to admit. I look them over very well, and have never bought one that has been "Touched up".

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PTParker View Post
    That is one thing I am trying to decide. If they are really any better than others? I have seen more suspension problems on GD than most others. Also, parts that were rusted 2 weeks after build that should not be rusting that soon, some subject to failure down the road. I talked to GD about those issues last year. I think GD attention to detail is still a little better than most, but if they are truly built better from a lasting stand point, I am still not sure.

GD builds a unit that is as good as any other in their price range. Conversely, there are other units in this price range that are comparable with GD. It's not hard to look at the models (by various manufacturers) in your price range and identify ones of comparable build quality.

My advice to anyone is pick a price range and buy the floor-plan that works best for you. In your case, overall dimensions are a critical requirement. No way I'd pick a floor plan that does not meet one of my critical requirements.
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7L PowerStroke DRW
    2017 Solitude 379FLS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Good Idea. I thought of that, but the trailer would barely go in the building without the ladder. So since this trailer has no bumper, the entire ladder is to much! I could cut some off and cut half of my wall supports out and probably get it in, but the ladder would be kind of dangerous to use. But, if I decide I have to have this trailer, I may have to bite the bullet and do it! I may have to install some metal supports to not compromise the integrity of my building.
    A few king studs and possibly a built up plywood header and you should be good. Nothing Like cutting into a building with a sawzall to make improvements.

Many Many years ago my Father bought a town car only to find it would not fit in the garage. So he cut a hole in the back for the bumper to fit through and put a canvas tarp across the opening on the outside. Just drove in, stuck the nose out under the trap and closed the door. Us kids used it as a cool fort when he was working.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! Bailing out on GD over a ladder seems like cutting off your own nose. Don't get me wrong, I'm never completely satisfied with anything that I buy and I usually take it apart and modify it as soon as I get it home. (Drives my wife nuts!)

I am as picky as they come, but as my wife has to keep reminding me, if we don't compromise, we end up missing out on all of it. It would be a shame for you to lose another two years of camping while you start all over trying to find the perfect rig.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I certainly wouldn’t call it “picky” being that the RV won’t fit in the RV garage. ‘If it fits, it ships” only works at the Post Office.
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Sold: 2015 27RL
    2016 Ram 3500 Crewcab Cummins SRW

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by minnow101 View Post
    I certainly wouldn’t call it “picky” being that the RV won’t fit in the RV garage. ‘If it fits, it ships” only works at the Post Office.
    I agree that not fitting in the garage is an important issue, but being unwilling to remove/modify the ladder because it won't be in pristine perfect new condition is being picky.

I'm definitely not judging; I fight with those things myself all the time. If this unit is a 99% perfect fit and the deal goes bad over the ladder or a few repaired screw holes, that would be a shame.

Just being realistic.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roll With The Changes View Post
    Wow! Bailing out on GD over a ladder seems like cutting off your own nose. Don't get me wrong, I'm never completely satisfied with anything that I buy and I usually take it apart and modify it as soon as I get it home. (Drives my wife nuts!)

I am as picky as they come, but as my wife has to keep reminding me, if we don't compromise, we end up missing out on all of it. It would be a shame for you to lose another two years of camping while you start all over trying to find the perfect rig.
    I won't be missing out on camping. We have an RV now!

Funny how people think this is odd, when I doubt you would buy a truck and get home it won't go in your garage so you say, No problem, I will just take off the bumper and drive it like that!

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PTParker, Have you read the thread here about the person who bought and repaired a “totaled” 2015 Reflection 5th wheel? He ended up loving it, using it, and due to changing circumstances, he sold it to buy a motor home. That might give you an idea of how well they hold up over time/use.
    N
    Bruce and Nancy
    2018 Imagine 2150rb
    2011 Silverado 1500 5.3L

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I won't be missing out on camping. We have an RV now!

Funny how people think this is odd, when I doubt you would buy a truck and get home it won't go in your garage so you say, No problem, I will just take off the bumper and drive it like that!
    I think that is an apples to oranges comparison. You were willing to drive an RV with no ladder. That's why you asked them to build it without one. So the problem is now just the screw holes. As suggested, they can be repaired properly if you are willing. I'll expand on my statement about being realistic. Every RV on the road is built like absolute garbage. If you actually take them apart and see what is done in the factory, you would be sickened by it. So in that context, a few repaired screw holes is actually a pretty minor thing. In my experience GD is better than most, but that really isn't saying much. Everything here is a compromise. If the floor plan checks 99%percent of the boxes for you, then make a compromise on the ladder. If you think the overall build quality is better than others, then make a compromise on the ladder.

What I mean by being realistic is that I would rather have a few screw holes than a floor plan that I don't like on an inferior rig that fits in my garage.

Obviously, this is your decision and you don't need us to justify it.
    Roger, Stacy and the Sophie the fur kid

2017 Solitude 300GK
    2015 Chev 2500 Diesel (replaced)
    2020 F350 DRW

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast