User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    james quinn

Air bag recommendations

Looking to put airbags on my 2013 f150 and know next to nothing about them. Any product recommendations or stay aways would be appreciated. Ideally the install would involve setting the parts on the ground next to the truck and waving a magic beer ..er, wand...and it would be done

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had Firestone on my last truck, and now have Air Lift on my current truck. Pick your poison, they all work. The installation is pretty basic on both sets I mentioned. I do have an onboard compressor with the bags on my truck now, wireless remote.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Steve and Schlonda- Virgie, Kentucky
    2017 Momentum 328M
    Morryde 8K Independent Suspension, Disk Brakes
    2021 GMC Denali 3500 SRW
    Airlift Wireless Air
    B&W Companion Slider

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Jim,

I also went with the Airlift bags and onboard compressor (which I installed myself)
    The Airlift bags go directly under the frame (replacing the jounce bumpers) so this looked (to me) to be stronger than the Firestone system that bolts to the side of the frame . . . although the Firestone system is probably easier to install.
    For F150, the airbag kit with internal jounce bumpers is PN 88200. The Wireless One compressor kit is PN 25870.

The installation was a full day of crawling around under the truck . . . so not quite as simple as what you are looking for .
    I had to trim the left side Airlift attachment bracket to the axle because it would not quite fit as intended.
    The wiring harness for the compressor was poor quality with the main relay not functional from new. So, I had to rebuild that before installation.
    Two of the air line fittings had small leaks . . . but these parts are easily available.
    The installation instructions are great, with actual pictures of the exact vehicle being worked on.

System has been working flawlessly for about a year now.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

james quinn
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Hi Jim,

I also went with the Airlift bags and onboard compressor (which I installed myself)
    The Airlift bags go directly under the frame (replacing the jounce bumpers) so this looked (to me) to be stronger than the Firestone system that bolts to the side of the frame . . . although the Firestone system is probably easier to install.
    For F150, the airbag kit with internal jounce bumpers is PN 88200. The Wireless One compressor kit is PN 25870.

The installation was a full day of crawling around under the truck . . . so not quite as simple as what you are looking for .
    I had to trim the left side Airlift attachment bracket to the axle because it would not quite fit as intended.
    The wiring harness for the compressor was poor quality with the main relay not functional from new. So, I had to rebuild that before installation.
    Two of the air line fittings had small leaks . . . but these parts are easily available.
    The installation instructions are great, with actual pictures of the exact vehicle being worked on.

System has been working flawlessly for about a year now.

Rob
    Rob,

With all the fixes u had to do with your "new" system it should be called the Roblift !

Site Sponsor
    Kerrville, TX RV parks through April 2020
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have used an Air Lift system, the heavier bags with internal bump stops, and hard-wired onboard compressor with gauge unit in the left corner of the dash which also has buttons to increase or decrease pressure, run about 50 psi towing, 10 psi unloaded. No leaks, no issues, bags made by Goodyear. Highly recommend!
    AKA Steve and Lynne
    Storm the Black Lab
    Reflection 337 RLS vin 573FR3628E3300393
    2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab Longbox
    6.7 Cummins, 68 RFE transmission
    B and W Companion, Air Lifts

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have Air-lift w/ on board compressor and gauge in cab w/ remote. Installed myself (pretty much a full day as mentioned above.) No issues, works great.

FYI - Last truck I started with the manual inflation w/ air hose. Soon realized there are times when I wanted to increase or decrease pressure on the fly. (especially finding initial setup sweet spot for ride quality)
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have Firestone Bags, had them on Two trucks no problems. I agree with JCR GD on board compressor is a must

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Firestone or Airlift are the 2 leading companies. I have had them on my last 3 trucks and love them. I would strongly recommend the compressor as it allows you to adjust at the flick of a button.

I installed mine by myself and it's not real technical but it does require several hours of grunting and growning underneath the truck.

Last truck I just paid a guy to do it, oh so much simpler and I'm supporting the economy.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Hellwig.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As Glazier stated, they all work. I have Hellwig bags and I am very pleased. I almost bought the complete Hellwig system that includes the compressor and tank. I discovered that I could purchase the components separately much cheaper. I got a VIAIR compressor and tank and plumbed it independently. This allows me the ability to air up other things as well as the airbags. I admit it is not as easy as "a touch of a button" for the air bags but having an airhose with 100 psi pressure for filling other things is fantastic.

As stated above, installation is a lot of work. Nothing really difficult, just takes time.
    Lyle & Cathy plus Boomer (English Lab)

2015 Grand Design Momentum 350M
    2016 RAM 3500 DRW Laramie Limited 4X4
    6.7 Cummins with Aisin Transmission

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast