Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Watchdog EPO install on Reflection 320MKS

I got my new surge EPO installed this last weekend. It wasn't to bad, bought about 8 foot of 6/3 with ground wires and just attached to the main shore power plugin. Ran that to the input side of the Hughes PWD50-EPO-H and attached the original wire that was attached to the plug, and to the breaker box into the output side of the EPO. Is uses Bluetooth to monitor both lines and wattage, volts and amps you are pulling. It will send you a message and shut off the power if there is anything wrong with the shore power. After it shuts down, it will monitor the incoming power and re-connect when the issue (low, high voltage etc.)has been corrected. You just have to be close to the coach to be in range of the Bluetooth to receive the message.

Tim
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Watchdog 2.PNG 
Views:	25 
Size:	348.0 KB 
ID:	26359Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Watchdog 1.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	93.3 KB 
ID:	26360

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you Tim for sharing - Just when I thought I was sold on a Surgeguard 34951 I learned of the Hughes Watchdog. A couple things I liked are the Bluetooth connectivity, the replaceable surge module and the price. I'm just wondering what I'm missing and/or are there other features that would sway me back to the Surgeguard over this Watchdog? Any other experiences to share? Thanks!
    2021 Solitude 310GK: Linen/DP windows/gen prep/slide toppers/king bed/EOH disc brakes/Cooper-H tires
    2019 F-350: Lariat/CC/LB/Diesel/DRW/4x4/Bakflip MX4/B&W 20K/AirLift 5000
    Other stuff: TST 507 TPMS/2x BB batteries/Victron BMV-712/Champion 3500 dual fuel gen/Garmin 780 GPS/22" Blackstone

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orbsah View Post
    Thank you Tim for sharing - Just when I thought I was sold on a Surgeguard 34951 I learned of the Hughes Watchdog. A couple things I liked are the Bluetooth connectivity, the replaceable surge module and the price. I'm just wondering what I'm missing and/or are there other features that would sway me back to the Surgeguard over this Watchdog? Any other experiences to share? Thanks!
    Yes they were a couple of the big reasons for my selection also. I got mine at CW for 225 after a 10% coupon. I went with the hard wired version to eliminate the risk of theft. The other nice feature is it will message you if their is any issues when you first plug in, no need to get inside to look at readout. Hughes also has an affiliation with RVwhisper which has a interface with them that will text your phone (if you have WiFi available) when the power goes out at your campsite or other issue. This is a monthly service (which is kinda pricey) after you buy the hardware but a great thing if you are away and have animals in your coach and the power goes out and its 105 degrees outside. They also offer a website where you can monitor the power remotely and temperature if you purchase that sensor from RVwhisper.
    The EPO just doesn't shut off the power if there is a issue (low/high voltage etc) but monitors the power and will turn it back on when/if the issue is corrected.

Tim

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Indy Tim View Post
    Yes they were a couple of the big reasons for my selection also. I got mine at CW for 225 after a 10% coupon. I went with the hard wired version to eliminate the risk of theft. The other nice feature is it will message you if their is any issues when you first plug in, no need to get inside to look at readout. Hughes also has an affiliation with RVwhisper which has a interface with them that will text your phone (if you have WiFi available) when the power goes out at your campsite or other issue. This is a monthly service (which is kinda pricey) after you buy the hardware but a great thing if you are away and have animals in your coach and the power goes out and its 105 degrees outside. They also offer a website where you can monitor the power remotely and temperature if you purchase that sensor from RVwhisper.
    The EPO just doesn't shut off the power if there is a issue (low/high voltage etc) but monitors the power and will turn it back on when/if the issue is corrected.

Tim
    Just a little update. The unit is located behind the basement wall and when in operation, the bull dogs face lights up white when everything is ok. Obviously you can't see it behind the wall but I found a secondary advantage, the light comes through the floor vent in the bathroom and acts as a good night light.
    Tim
    2020 Reflection 320MKS, Sidewinder Hitch
    2003 2500HD Silverado Duramax, Sumo springs, Hawk Brake Pads

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a pointer, take a picture of the UR code just in case you change or want to add a phone using the App, otherwise you will have to take the basement wall out to scan the code to setup the App. This is what I had to do.
    Tim
    2020 Reflection 320MKS, Sidewinder Hitch
    2003 2500HD Silverado Duramax, Sumo springs, Hawk Brake Pads

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the 50amp portable version. Plan on installing it in a basement wall panel by splicing the incomming power line and placing male/female connectors on the spliced line so that I can later remove it if I decide to sell the trailer in the future. In a way, making it semi permenant and portable at the same time. Once taken out for sale, cover the hole with a similarly carpeted panel and just connect the spliced line with the installed connectors to facilate the original OEM NON-EPO connection.

Both wired and portable version have the ability to use the OEM Watchdog mounting brackets.

Both versions will require that the unit be dissambled to replace the sacrificial load panel if it becomes damaged over time. But with my install, I would be able to disconnect the EPO and replace the panel, and still have power with limited work while performing any maintenance.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)