Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking for RV GPS recommendation

I hope I'm posting this in the right forum. I tried doing a search but didn't have much luck.

We are new RVers with a 2500 RL and are looking for recommendations for a good Android RV GPS app. Preferably something you or someone you know has actually used and can give feedback about. If it works with Android Auto that would be a big plus. We want to find something that will help us avoid things like low bridges, roads we may be too heavy for, turns that are too tight, etc. We don't want to be stuck on a crowded road facing a 10ft 8in bridge with an 11 foot RV if you know what I mean.

Thanks in advance.
    --
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2500RL
    2016 Ford F-150 XLT

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hampal, I don't have an Android, but I have had good luck with ALLSTAYS (https://www.allstays.com/) and RVPARKY (https://www.rvparky.com/). They may offer applications that work in your Android environment. They each have their own merits. You can probably find what you need between the two. I'm sure others will share their preferred apps for RVing. Good luck! -Diego

2017 Ford F350 DRW 6.7L Custom Ordered
    2018 GD Solitude 310GK
    40,900+Miles
    "Censorship reflects society's lack of confidence in itself." -Potter Stewart

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We use Copilot, its an app for either Apple or Android phones. My wife has an Apple phone and me a Android. We both have the App installed and they have both worked fine so far. There is a yearly fee to use the App ($30/yr). We use it on either phone, but not at the same time because we only have one license. We've driven (towed) over 4000 miles while using it without any major issues. It keeps you off Parkways, away from low bridges, has alarms to alert you when you drive too fast and and it routes you around traffic. I considered using a Garmin, but we didn't want another device sitting on the dash board. I wish it integrated with Android Auto, but doesn't.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just started using RV Trip Wizard, Planning on a trip from Pittsburgh to Yellowstone next year. You can put in your trailer height, what type roads you want to travel on, length of time between stops. And the campgrounds pop up along your route. You end up with a map of your entire trip and a spread sheet of all the stops along the way. Safe Travels Ed

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We've tried quite a few, including both paid and free apps. Copilot just didn't work for us - on our phones or an iPad (with separate GPS receiver). We have a dedicated GPS unit - OverDryve 7 RV. It's just ok. Recently downloaded Truck Map for the iPhone, but haven't used it yet. Its free and there is an android version, and I think even a Windows version. You can input height, length, weight. For trip planning, we primarily use RV Trip Wizard. I keep reading about a mobile app for it, but last I looked, it was still in beta release. That was last year, so things may have changed. We also go old school and use the trucker's atlas. In fact, when the Overdryve was telling us one thing and Waze another, we got out the trusty atlas and used it to save an hour off the routes suggested by the GPS and Waze.
    2022 Solitude 378MBS-R
    2021 Ford F450 CC Lariat Ultimate FX4
    1966 Shasta Astroflyte (1 year restoration project that is going on year 6)

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Forgot to mention that Truck Map has satellite view and you can zoom in so close, you can see the sewer outlet cover at your site. Or a stray frisbee.
    2022 Solitude 378MBS-R
    2021 Ford F450 CC Lariat Ultimate FX4
    1966 Shasta Astroflyte (1 year restoration project that is going on year 6)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To second a previous poster, I use CoPilot. It is the only app I found (I am on IOS) that permits uploaded custom POI's (points of interest). Let me explain. After returning from our maiden voyage with our 13.5 foot tall 5ver, I thought of the same issue per your original post. I decided to research how to avoid low clearances and tight turns. I originally went with Copilot for the low clearance info in their database. What I found was the database was far short of comprehensive. I used Copilot for a couple weeks driving back and forth to work and it missed a handful of train bridges near my commute. I subsequently purchased a subscription to lowclearances.com (lifetime) for $75. I uploaded the database to a custom POI in CoPilot. Seems to cover alot more hazards (I think it is up to 7,000+ in continental US) vs the few thousand in the native app. I also found several sites where you can download POIs for free (Starbucks, rest areas, etc.). Be aware that even with Copilot, lowclearance.com databases, or whatever device you have (Garmin, etc.) it is never, ever comprehensive.

In closing, you need to be aware that for whatever reason, there were low clearance train bridges not documented in any of the apps I looked at. We use a combination of CoPilot routing with the imported lowclearance.com database in combination with paper maps (we use the FMCA Road Atlas). So, nothing out there is 100% so plan your routes. If you see train tracks on a route, be aware is my rule of thumb.

Good luck
    Last edited by MooManChu; 05-08-2020 at 01:37 PM.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This app was built and offered for all to use by forum member Dave O. I used it last February & March to plan and locate stays and can say with it's filters and comprehensive database it's the most useful tool.
    https://davidodonnel.com/rvparklocator/
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Checkout the RV Life app.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Kenny & Susan "Freddie" on board
    2019 Reflection 297rsts
    2017 F250 6.2
    14k Equalizer

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eleosky View Post
    I just started using RV Trip Wizard, Planning on a trip from Pittsburgh to Yellowstone next year. You can put in your trailer height, what type roads you want to travel on, length of time between stops. And the campgrounds pop up along your route. You end up with a map of your entire trip and a spread sheet of all the stops along the way. Safe Travels Ed
    Make sure you verify in settings which routing option is selected. Normal Routing does not take into consideration the size of your RV. You have to select RV routing.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast