User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wondering about warranty coverage

Hello! In the market for a GD - maybe a new 230RL. I know I will need warranty work at some point and the dealer selling the 230 isn't local. There is a local shop that sells GD but no 230 in stock. Will my local dealer honor warranty work or will I pay for the work and then go to GD for a refund? Thanks for any clarity you can provide.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gijake View Post
    Hello! In the market for a GD - maybe a new 230RL. I know I will need warranty work at some point and the dealer selling the 230 isn't local. There is a local shop that sells GD but no 230 in stock. Will my local dealer honor warranty work or will I pay for the work and then go to GD for a refund? Thanks for any clarity you can provide.
    Best answer - it depends. Many of us have gotten approval from GD to use a independent service (mobile or brick & mortar) for repairs. Some dealers will say "unless you bought your rig from us, it will be in line after any rigs purchased from us get their necessary work done". Other dealers will do it with no problem.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you! Guess I need to talk with the service dept of the local shop to see how they would handle it. Clear as mud.

New to this world and it amazes me how many problems people have with a new rig. Seems GD has more empathy than other manufacturers.

Site Sponsor
    Kerrville, TX RV parks through April 2020
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jake, maybe have the dealer you feel more comfortable with order a unit especially for you. You will be able to choose the exact options you want.
    AKA Steve and Lynne
    Storm the Black Lab
    Reflection 337 RLS vin 573FR3628E3300393
    2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab Longbox
    6.7 Cummins, 68 RFE transmission
    B and W Companion, Air Lifts

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am sure my experience is not typical but we have had our GD for 3 years and had zero warranty issues. I do keep up on the preventative maintenance. Yes, there has been a trim piece come loose, a plug that was intermittent and other very very minor things. If I fix it in my house, I'll fix it in the GD. Every issue we have had is a minor 15 to 30 minute fix. We have been fortunate not to have a major component issue. Request a very detailed PDI at delivery and make the dealer fix any issues prior to delivery, cross your fingers and hope you get a good one. I would not let a local dealer deter me for warranty work. If the local dealer refuses, GD will authorize mobile repairs under warranty. Good luck in whatever you choose
    Geoff and Cheri
    2011 F250 CC 6.7L
    Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
    Pull Rite 16k SuperGlide
    2018 Reflection 303RLS, Build date 9/2017
    USMC-Retired
    Thin Blue Line - Retired

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the replies. Good to hear a problem free story!

I have problems building a snap together model- problem is I think I can fix anything. Lots of great info in mygrandrv.

Don't think I'll order I want to take advantage of the deals the current unfortunate time is providing.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by livinthelife View Post
    Best answer - it depends. Many of us have gotten approval from GD to use a independent service (mobile or brick & mortar) for repairs. Some dealers will say "unless you bought your rig from us, it will be in line after any rigs purchased from us get their necessary work done". Other dealers will do it with no problem.
    Thank you! Guess I need to talk with the service dept of the local shop to see how they would handle it. Clear as mud.
    New to this world and it amazes me how many problems people have with a new rig. Seems GD has more empathy than other manufacturers.
    I would strongly suggest you do talk to the local dealer before buying any make RV. I bought from a dealer that's over 2 hours away. I went in after believing the hype on GD's website and and thinking I could take mine to any dealer for service. I had a really bad experience with the dealer I bought from returning the 5W after my first outing and GD customer service supervisor pretty much sidestepped when I asked for help. The two closest dealers both told me in no uncertain terms they only took in warranty work for units that they sold. The available "mobile repair" services around here only want to take emergency work so that was not an option. I have used a dealer's service department that sells another manufacture and they weren't welcome to the idea of doing warranty work on another make but did do it.
    After pressing GD and the list of problems I have experienced I started getting help after I got another Customer Service associate assigned to me. She has been very helpful.
    Last edited by Wicked ace; 05-08-2020 at 04:58 AM.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the replies. Good to hear a problem free story!

I have problems building a snap together model- problem is I think I can fix anything. Lots of great info in mygrandrv.

Don't think I'll order I want to take advantage of the deals the current unfortunate time is providing.
    Of course it depends on the dealer, but ask the local one for pricing on one to be ordered. You may be surprised to find the costs are the same, especially if you can point out that the one far away has the price you like! Many dealers (at least in my area) will allow you to put a small, completely refundable deposit down to hold a particular unit. You could do that on the one far away, then go to the local and say "Can you beat this on one you order?", which give even more incentive...

There is, of course, the wait time for the trailer to be built and shipped.

All of this is predicated on knowing that the local guy has a great reputation for service. Many, many horror stories of dealers that hold units for months ("waiting on approval/parts" - which is almost always a lie on their part), or just plain terrible work. I've been lucky, two different brands, but both dealers had/have great service departments. It may take a while to get an appointment, but work was top notch, and always very fast.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You may want to step up your timeline if you are thinking of a new 230RL as they have been discontinued for months now.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for all your input. My local dealer's service department (Campers Inn) said they would honor the warranty work and they service rigs as they are received at the service dept.

I did not know the 230 was discontinued and I found one about 2 hours away. Going to look at it tomorrow.

Off subject can anyone advise on a good surge protector/voltage regulator? Are they worth having? Looked on amazon read the reviews on a few and just got confused.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast