User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Rolling Along
    Walthourville, GA which is just outside of Hinesville, GA home of the 3rd Infantry Division
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Furrion DV3100 Connection Issue

I am posting this in the "General" section because I'm assuming that the Furrion DV3100 is used not only in Reflection 5er's, but also in other GD models.

I got a case of the "Can't Leave Well Enough Alone" bug and decided to install a Blu Ray player in our 337RLS (I'll post a separate thread about that). During the install process, I removed the DV3100 and at first, I didn't see anything that jumped out at me other than the shoddy wiring (more on that in another thread). For the Blu Ray player install, I also removed the TV (a TCL 40D2700 http://www.tclusa.com/currentmodels/40fd2700/ ). Something about the A/V connections didn't seem right. I looked at the DV3100 closer and the A/V connections seemed "odd". In the first image, you can see how the cable coming from the TV was hooked to the Furrion. The cable coming from the TV has the video portion of the cable attached to the Video connection OUT and the R/L audio portion of the cable attached to the R/L IN. In the second image you can see that the connections are per the diagram on the DV3100 and this is exactly the same diagram as in the DV3100 user manual ( https://www.furrion.com/store/audiov...em-p-1064.html ). I thought to myself that was an odd way of connecting the TV A/V and then I reasoned that this was so that the DV3100 could take in the TV's audio and output the TV audio via the ceiling speakers. OK - that's logical. And I went about my business of doing my thang.

HOWEVER.....when I went to put everything back the way it was, the issue became apparent when I went to hook the A/V cable from the DV3100 to the TV (I didn't take a shot of connection during TV removal). In the third image, which is a screen capture from the TCL user manual, you can see that there are no RCA jacks for TV R/L audio OUT. The only provisions for TV audio OUT would be either via the headphone jack, the optical OUT port or the HDMI port. And since there's no HDMI or optical provisions on the DV3100, I have no clue as to why the DV3100 was installed in this fashion. And I wish I had either paid attention or taken a photo of how the TV was connected when I removed it because I'm really curious as to what jacks those Red & White audio IN cables were connected to. Anyhow....those R/L cables - in my case - need to be in the RCA IN jacks. Connected in this manner, allows the DV3100 to output both video AND audio to the TV.

It's really of no consequence (to me) since all my DVD A/V will be from the Sony Blu Ray player directly to the TV. It's just something I felt might be useful to others AND.....to the dudes & dudets that install this stuff at the factory!!

Tom
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails AV1.jpg   AV2.jpg   AV3.jpg  

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. I'll have to try that tomorrow.
    2016 Reflection 303RLS
    Bedford County, VA

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Moved to out and still no sound from tv.
    2016 Reflection 303RLS
    Bedford County, VA

Rolling Along
    Walthourville, GA which is just outside of Hinesville, GA home of the 3rd Infantry Division
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paphil View Post
    Moved to out and still no sound from tv.
    Interesting......I must admit that I didn't test mine after I buttoned everything up. Guess I need to make a trip to the RV. BUT.......I wouldn't be surprised. I'm very underwhelmed by that Furrion unit. I suspect the Jensen JWM6A ($330 at Crutchfield) that's installed in the Solitude line was chosen because it's an upgrade from the DV3100. When I save up some pennies, I think I'm gonna swap out the 3100 for the Jensen for a couple of reasons - first and foremost is that it appears to be more intuitive. The ergonomics on the 3100 are just terrible IMHO. The Jensen JWM9A is a dang nice unit. But check out the dimensions - it's 17" wide!!

Tom

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably just a mess up on the install. On mine I do get audio from a DVD out of the Furrion and also the TV speakers.

BTW, what is the embedded cable that already has the RCA "AV output" connectors, I assume that must be for something like a small LCD screen in a car or something like that. Interesting as you can get video on two different outputs using those cables.
    2016 GMC Denali 3500 SRW
    2016 GD Reflection 357BHS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just bought a 337 reflection too. And was quite disappointed the first time I tried to play a Blu-Ray DVD in it. Who would think in 2017 they would not put a Blu-ray CD player in things.
    Keep us updated on the wiring as I am considering doing the same thing. Buying an external Blu-ray player and trying to figure out how to wire in.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was able to setup a Raspberry PI media server. After ripping a few dozen DVDs, I am pretty happy with the system: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCSJ...index=11&t=17s

The only part that kinda bugged me was that the HDMI from the Raspberry PI sent the sound to the TV. We all know that a TV is not very interesting for watching movies. So, I got the looking at the back of the TV, there are the "Audio Out" jacks. So I bought a cable with PhonoPlug on one end and RCA plugs on the other. It worked great to the Furrion but the wiring was a little clumsy into the front of the stereo. So, today I was looking at this post and saw the "Audio In" jacks in the picture!

A quick run to the store and with the wife's help, TV Audio Out to Furrion Audio In and it sounds pretty good. At least it is nicer stereo than the TV alone. FYI, if you do this exercise, the TV must have at least volume = 1 for the Audio Out to work.

Love this list. It is a source for so many things to spend money on!
    2015 Ford F350 6.7L TurboDiesel, Crew Cab, short bed SRW, 4x4, Lariat
    2021 Reflection 5th Wheel 337
    Pullrite Superglide hitch, TST507 TPMS

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the ideas.

We camp where there is no service, phone or wifi avail. (so nice!)

After some research...
    I am setting up my old smartphone (Droid Turbo 2) to be my movie/music hub. I removed SD Card tray that was empty, inserted 128gb card into the phone. Restart phone and format card. I had to purchase an adapter connecting mini usb (charging plug size for phone) to the standard HDMI plug on back of TV. The USB port will not transfer from phone to tv alone. Adapter is key. Then I download movies through Amazon Prime or Netflix into my phone (i have accounts with them) My phone acts as Media Storage and plays all downloaded media once connected to my adapter and TV.
    * the only issue is tv speakers are being used, not speakers. I'll see if I can add audio out into back of Jensen unit
    2010 Passport Express - Sold
    2020 Imagine 2600RB
    2013 Chevrolet Silverado 1500