Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Newbie Questions

Hello folks!

I'm nearing retirement - less than a month. Have to travel from WA. to FL. We plan to buy an RV, and plan to buy a bigger truck AFTER we buy a house. With that said, I have a 2012 F-150 EB, and its does have the tow package - she's a Platinum in great condition and 72K miles. I took a pic of the sticker on the drivers side door frame. But honestly, I'm not sure what I'm reading.

We're going to be first time RV'ers and we know very little about it. Other than what I read on these great forums and Youtube All furniture will be hauled by movers and stored till we purchase a place.

We have been looking at brands, options - but I don't even know what size I can safely and comfortably pull with my truck. We intend to live in it until we find a home to purchase. So we'd like it to be comfortable. No wet bath, ideally she'd like a fireplace - I know its FL. But SHE wants it, we'd love a booth for eating and if possible theater seating for two to relax in the evenings.

So I guess to begin, how do I determine what weight I can tow? That sticker I mentioned says GVWR 7200lb. Is this the weight of the trailer that I cannot exceed (Totally loaded with everything?

Any recommendations for folks in a similar Tow vehicle of what TT they use or have experience with? Anyone know of a TT with my wish list, or is that a pipe dream?

We may travel IDK, depends on corona and if we're able to access some parks or if we're stuck with rest areas. Perhaps anywhere from 4-10 days travel. Depends on our route, family & friends we'd like to visit or of course Corona which may just makes us go straight to FL.

Any input would be much appreciated. We are looking for ward to our move - just hope its a safe one and enjoyable.

Steve

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pencka View Post
    Hello folks!

I'm nearing retirement - less than a month. Have to travel from WA. to FL. We plan to buy an RV, and plan to buy a bigger truck AFTER we buy a house. With that said, I have a 2012 F-150 EB, and its does have the tow package - she's a Platinum in great condition and 72K miles. I took a pic of the sticker on the drivers side door frame. But honestly, I'm not sure what I'm reading.

We're going to be first time RV'ers and we know very little about it. Other than what I read on these great forums and Youtube All furniture will be hauled by movers and stored till we purchase a place.

We have been looking at brands, options - but I don't even know what size I can safely and comfortably pull with my truck. We intend to live in it until we find a home to purchase. So we'd like it to be comfortable. No wet bath, ideally she'd like a fireplace - I know its FL. But SHE wants it, we'd love a booth for eating and if possible theater seating for two to relax in the evenings.

So I guess to begin, how do I determine what weight I can tow? That sticker I mentioned says GVWR 7200lb. Is this the weight of the trailer that I cannot exceed (Totally loaded with everything?

Any recommendations for folks in a similar Tow vehicle of what TT they use or have experience with? Anyone know of a TT with my wish list, or is that a pipe dream?

We may travel IDK, depends on corona and if we're able to access some parks or if we're stuck with rest areas. Perhaps anywhere from 4-10 days travel. Depends on our route, family & friends we'd like to visit or of course Corona which may just makes us go straight to FL.

Any input would be much appreciated. We are looking for ward to our move - just hope its a safe one and enjoyable.

Steve
    Look for a Ford towing chart online for your specific engine, rear end gear ratio. Long bed? Short bed? 2 wheel drive? All that matters.

Trailer Life magazine publishes annually a towing guide. You may have to research back issues to find 2012 info.

The GVWR on the sticker doesn't relate to towing.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe this will help you understand , Tow capacity can be mind boggling at first to those totally new at RVing
    https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...ing-Capability
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello folks!

Steve
    Welcome to the forum! It seems a real shame to buy a trailer that you can safely tow with your F150 when you intend to buy a bigger truck later. Do you plan to buy a bigger trailer later? Are you rich?! It might become harder to sell trailers in the next while; might be best to get what you want, truck and trailer properly matched, at the beginning.

If you have to stick with the F150 for your trip to Florida than Grand Design makes trailers that are designed to be towed by a truck like yours. You can view them here:

https://www.granddesignrv.com/showro...ies/floorplans

Good luck with your choice.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boyscout View Post
    Welcome to the forum! It seems a real shame to buy a trailer that you can safely tow with your F150 when you intend to buy a bigger truck later. Do you plan to buy a bigger trailer later? Are you rich?! It might become harder to sell trailers in the next while; might be best to get what you want, truck and trailer properly matched, at the beginning.

If you have to stick with the F150 for your trip to Florida than Grand Design makes trailers that are designed to be towed by a truck like yours. You can view them here:

https://www.granddesignrv.com/showro...ies/floorplans

Good luck with your choice.
    Well, I've done a little research on my truck - I have a V-6 Echo Boost, 4WD, Super Crew Cab (full 4 door), short bed (5.5ft) Gear Ratio - 3.55:1, and I have the tow package.
    GVWR - 7200 LB, Front GAWR: 3750lb, Rear GAWR - 4050 LB.

So as was suggested by liveinthelife, I looked up my truck in TrailerLife with these stats - and if everything is correct - I can tow up to 11,200. That seems unbelievable!! If this is accurate I can purchase the trailer I thought was too heavy - The Grand Design 2670MK.

Does the sreally sound accurate?

Thanks for all the help!!

Steve

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I've done a little research on my truck - I have a V-6 Echo Boost, 4WD, Super Crew Cab (full 4 door), short bed (5.5ft) Gear Ratio - 3.55:1, and I have the tow package.

So as was suggested by liveinthelife, I looked up my truck in TrailerLife with these stats - and if everything is correct - I can tow up to 11,200. That seems unbelievable!! If this is accurate I can purchase the trailer I thought was too heavy - The Grand Design 2670MK.

Steve
    There are really a bunch of questions here blended together (not your fault, all the towing threads are like this).

Can you tow it legally? Maybe. You'll have to be real careful on weight in the truck, and don't take too much weight off the tongue to get "legal", it'll make this much less safe. Make sure you NEVER exceed your tire ratings on the truck. Go to a CAT scale and weigh the combo and make sure your tires can hold the load.

Can you tow it safely? Maybe. What type of terrain? Can you pick your travel days (not traveling if the weather is bad, it's real windy, etc)?

Should you? Well, this one, only you can answer. How much experience towing do you have? Are you the "take it slow and easy" kind of person are you more the "measure success by miles driven". How many miles a year do you intend to tow?

I used to tow a 10K rated landscape trailer with my F150 (2017, max tow, 3.5 Ecoboost). It did it. At the time, I thought it was pretty good at it. But, looking back, it wasn't, I just was a lot more mindful and careful, which worked fine towing 100 miles max a day a few times a month. Now, I tow 100's of miles a day, day after day, through rain, snow, up hills, down hills.. I would not have been very happy doing that in my F150, even with my landscape trailer back there.

It's really a personal decision. I traded a brand new 250 for a 450, took a 6-7K hit on it, and, honestly, the pain is over, replaced by the comfort of towing with a "big truck". But I tow a lot, and I tow in bad conditions. I also have a lot of experience driving trailers, so I think someone new would have had a lot more trouble with the 351M/250 combo than I did. Others who tow for a living might have hooked right up and now had a 2nd thought about it and been fine.

It comes down to you. I'd say don't buy a trailer if you're not willing to buy a bigger truck if you're not happy with how it performs. Buy the trailer you want, see how you feel with it, and make a decision from there. And, take it from a member of the "2 truck club", if you do wind up buying a bigger truck, plan for the future! Dually is not at all necessary for what you're towing, but it'll handle it like it's not even there and you'll be ready for anything you may want in the future.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Steve
    As always, it comes down to more than weight. That max weight would be safely towable in perfect world with a low profile trailer. An RV is not low profile. Tongue weight to safely tow is going to be your limiting factor - see ‘payload’. It’s also on a sticker in your door. Based on that being a high option, 4x4, 2012 F150, I’m guessing it says something around 1200/1300lbs. The tongue weight of your trailer should be 10-15% of the total trailer weight, so you need to do the math to get the actual max weight RV you can safely tow.

But it still isn’t that simple. You need to subtract everything you put in the truck from that payload capacity. So let’s say 2ppl (350lbs), dog (50lbs), a cooler and some luggage (50lbs), and can’t forget the weight distributing hitch (50lbs) Now subtracting that from 1300, you have a max of 800 lbs tongue weight trailer.

So, using my example above of 800lbs, and using 12.5%, max trailer weight comes to 6400lbs. And, based on putting things in the trailer, that 6400# should really be closer to the GVWR of the trailer, not the fantasy land empty weight they publish.

After you do all that, your GAWRs need to also be in. They aren’t usually an issue with the F150. But they are important, arguably more so than payload. Best way to check is run it loaded over a scale.

The issue with RVs is that they are a sail. Wind, passing vehicles (especially semis), and other factors all make them a bear to tow. They have a huge surface area. The truck will physically be able to move a really big trailer, and with trailer brakes, it will probably stop it too. How much fun that is, and how safe if you ever have to make an emergency maneuver, that’s where you really can help yourself out with the right tow vehicle. You’re doing great to ask the questions first! And you have a capable vehicle. Maybe not as capable as you need for your trailer preference, but still plenty capable!

I personally think that 2670MK is more trailer than I would tow behind a half ton. BUT, with planning, and keeping the load light both in the trailer and in your truck, it could theoretically be done. For your trip, I honestly think it’s a little much, because I think you’ll be loaded down with some of your stuff, and want to use the tanks. It won’t be a fun tow. In that case, if it’s really what you want, I would buy it once you got to FL and just use your truck to move it between campgrounds until you get the bigger truck, keeping the tanks empty and load lighter. Shorter distances, lower speeds. Just my 2 cents though, only worth the price you paid! Good luck with the decisions!

*Edit: the 2450RL, while still on the big side for a half ton, would buy you a good amount of margin, and seemingly check every box including layout except fireplace. Also take a look at the Winnebago Minnie 2500 (either version). The 3-5ft shorter length and 100-200lb lower tongue weight would make a big difference with any of these vs the 2670mk. I do agree though, the 2670 is a great layout.
    Last edited by Stealth13777; 05-08-2020 at 11:53 PM.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stealth13777 View Post
    As always, it comes down to more than weight. That max weight would be safely towable in perfect world with a low profile trailer. An RV is not low profile. Tongue weight to safely tow is going to be your limiting factor - see ‘payload’. It’s also on a sticker in your door. Based on that being a high option, 4x4, 2012 F150, I’m guessing it says something around 1200/1300lbs. The tongue weight of your trailer should be 10-15% of the total trailer weight, so you need to do the math to get the actual max weight RV you can safely tow.

But it still isn’t that simple. You need to subtract everything you put in the truck from that payload capacity. So let’s say 2ppl (350lbs), dog (50lbs), a cooler and some luggage (50lbs), and can’t forget the weight distributing hitch (50lbs) Now subtracting that from 1300, you have a max of 800 lbs tongue weight trailer.

So, using my example above of 800lbs, and using 12.5%, max trailer weight comes to 6400lbs. And, based on putting things in the trailer, that 6400# should really be closer to the GVWR of the trailer, not the fantasy land empty weight they publish.

After you do all that, your GAWRs need to also be in. They aren’t usually an issue with the F150. But they are important, arguably more so than payload. Best way to check is run it loaded over a scale.

The issue with RVs is that they are a sail. Wind, passing vehicles (especially semis), and other factors all make them a bear to tow. They have a huge surface area. The truck will physically be able to move a really big trailer, and with trailer brakes, it will probably stop it too. How much fun that is, and how safe if you ever have to make an emergency maneuver, that’s where you really can help yourself out with the right tow vehicle. You’re doing great to ask the questions first! And you have a capable vehicle. Maybe not as capable as you need for your trailer preference, but still plenty capable!

I personally think that 2670MK is more trailer than I would tow behind a half ton. BUT, with planning, and keeping the load light both in the trailer and in your truck, it could theoretically be done. For your trip, I honestly think it’s a little much, because I think you’ll be loaded down with some of your stuff, and want to use the tanks. It won’t be a fun tow. In that case, if it’s really what you want, I would buy it once you got to FL and just use your truck to move it between campgrounds until you get the bigger truck, keeping the tanks empty and load lighter. Shorter distances, lower speeds. Just my 2 cents though, only worth the price you paid! Good luck with the decisions!

*Edit: the 2450RL, while still on the big side for a half ton, would buy you a good amount of margin, and seemingly check every box including layout except fireplace. Also take a look at the Winnebago Minnie 2500 (either version). The 3-5ft shorter length and 100-200lb lower tongue weight would make a big difference with any of these vs the 2670mk. I do agree though, the 2670 is a great layout.
    This is a very subjective subject. What works for one might not work for another.
    I spent a lot of time trying to determine what was right for me to tow. I have virtually no experience towing.
    Everything we have learned has been the HARD WAY. We tow a 2450RL with a 1/2 ton ram with all the towing goodies.
    At first it was white knuckles all the time until we finally conquered our tow hitch with weight distribution. We now tow comfortably,
    but still not perfect. Before we take a long (1,000 miles or further) it will be with a Ram 2500 (will join the 2 truck club)
    simply because we will feel safer. There are many statistics available on this forum and they all make sense to the person
    who is using them.

Safety and comfort is the key to towing. I am not disagreeing with any other posts and I realize that virtually every other
    post is by a person who knows more than I do. I only know what has worked for me.
    Bob & Alice
    2020 Ram 3500 Limited Megacab SRW Aisin
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2450RL
    ProPride 3P 1400 lb. bars WDH
    Micro Air easy start, Goodyear Endurance Load rated "E" Tires
    Titan 50 gallon diesel replacement tank
    Previous: 2019 Ram 1500 Limited

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it will be with a Ram 2500 (will join the 2 truck club) simply because we will feel safer.
    Take it from a member of the 2 truck club, test drive a 3500/350 and keep an open mind. A 250 doesn't have much capacity beyond a 150 (by the stickers) because of its artificially limited GVWR. Especially if your in an area where taxation is the same between a 250/350, they are almost indistinguishable from one another, in my experience, from the drivers seat and the 350 gives you a lot more options down the road; preventing you from becoming a founding member of the "3 truck" club. It's why I jumped straight from a 250 to a 450, yes, a 350 would have towed my 351M "in the numbers", but, I really didn't want to have this internal discussion (and cost) with myself again, just get the biggest/baddest thing out there and put the issue to bed.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I've done a little research on my truck - I have a V-6 Echo Boost, 4WD, Super Crew Cab (full 4 door), short bed (5.5ft) Gear Ratio - 3.55:1, and I have the tow package. GVWR - 7200 LB, Front GAWR: 3750lb, Rear GAWR - 4050 LB. So as was suggested by liveinthelife, I looked up my truck in TrailerLife with these stats - and if everything is correct - I can tow up to 11,200. That seems unbelievable!! If this is accurate I can purchase the trailer I thought was too heavy - The Grand Design 2670MK. Does the sreally sound accurate? Thanks for all the help!! Steve
    Steve, others have answered your question thoroughly. I'm popping back in to suggest that towing too much TRAVEL trailer with your truck could be especially hairy, and as others have suggested you would be really close to the edge with the 2670MK. You'd be more comfortable and safer towing one of the 150-series 5th wheels found at the link in my message above. Huge difference in the way they tow, partly because of the way they load your truck.

A couple of posters have used the phrase "two truck club". There is another club called the "two trailer club" - I'm a member of that one, and a wanna-be member of the other one. Both are expensive clubs to join.

With the pandemic squeezing dealers it may be a good time to re-think your plan, buy all the truck you can afford, and then buy a trailer that's well within its specs. Buy both once, not twice.

Good luck.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast