User Tag List

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ram 3500 SRW + Momentum 351M

There is no shortage of debate on SRW vs DRW when it comes to towing large toy haulers. I thought I would post actual CAT Scale numbers on my setup in case it might help anyone. To start, I have a 2019 Ram 3500 4x4 Big Horn SRW long bed with the Aisin transmission--so high output diesel; along with the factory auto level suspension and 5th wheel/gooseneck prep. The numbers for my truck include factory weights, door jamb sticker ratings, and Ram listed towing capacity:

Front Weight: 4,872 pounds
    Rear Weight: 3,005 pounds
    RGAWR: 7,000 pounds
    GVWR: 12,300 pounds
    GCWR: 33,610 pounds
    Payload: 4,107 pounds (yellow sticker)
    Max Towing: 25,150 pounds

On the way to get the new 5th wheel we stopped by the scales and got an empty truck weight. Full diesel tank and my wife and I up front, no other cargo. The 'surprise' here was on the drive axle--the higher numbers can likely be attributed to the auto level suspension and towing prep package. We are towing with a B&W gooseball installed in the Ram factory 'puck' system.

Steer Axle: 5,340 pounds
    Drive Axle: 3,380 pounds
    Trailer Axle: 0 pounds

We purchased the Momentum 351M with a yellow sticker listed weight of 14,232 pounds as it sits on the lot. It has most options including a generator and 3 season doors. There was a small amount of water and gas for the generator testing, and full propane tanks, and a new Reese 20K Goosebox pin (very heavy) installed in place of the factory Lippert pin. We loaded up the trailer and headed back to the CAT Scales.

Steer Axle: 5,340 pounds (identical)
    Drive Axle: 6,520 pounds
    Trailer Axle: 11,740 pounds
    Total Axle: 23,600 pounds
    Pin Weight: 3,140 pounds
    Trailer Weight: 14,880 pounds
    Pin Weight %: 21.1%

Here is where it gets interesting. We loaded up our 2020 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited into the toy hauler garage, factory weight 1,021 pounds, and headed back to the CAT Scales.

Steer Axle: 5,380 pounds
    Drive Axle: 6,200 pounds (over 300 pounds decrease)
    Trailer Axle: 13,080 pounds
    Total Axle: 24,660 pounds
    Pin Weight: 2,860 pounds
    Trailer Weight: 15,900 pounds (went up the exact Spyder weight 1,020 pounds)
    Pin Weight %: 18%

These numbers put us comfortably under maximums--payload, axles, tires, tow ratings, etc. The trailer pulls very easy (we live on a mountain) and stops with very little brake usage due to the diesel exhaust braking. We've got about 400 extra payload pounds without the Spyder--and/or 2,000 cargo in the trailer available (realizing the pin weight will go up as you add more cargo); and about 700 extra truck payload pounds and/or 900 cargo in the trailer with the Spyder loaded in the back. Our usage will be almost 100% full hookups--so very little fresh water will be carried.

I'm definitely not a math major, so feel free to correct any of my numbers. And I hope this long post might help-- somewhere out there in toy hauler research land Happy camping y'all!
    Dave & Connie w/ 2 Vizslas -- Spokane, WA
    2019 Ram 3500 SRW Aisin
    2021 Momentum 351M
    2020 Can Am Spyder RT Limited

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pretty similar to mine. IIRC (I posted it here in my very long thread about SRW and a 351M) it was 3K pin weight, configured almost identical to yours, genny, 3 season doors. Filled with water and fuel, it's quite a bit more, so be ready for that (although I see you won't be hauling much water, so that makes a difference). You want about 20% on the pin, while it's nice the Can-Am brings it down, you don't want to be too light, bad things (supposedly) happen if the pin is light.

Yes, the 20K GB is REAL heavy. But lighter than a 5er hitch, so I guess you (and I) probably make out there.

What are your tires rated at? My rear axle was 6400 lbs on my 250, limited by the springs. My tires were 3250 ea or so at max inflation. That's probably where your limit is on the 350, I suspect your tires are rated for 3500/ea, which gets you the 7K rating.

All that said, my 250 did tow the 351 fine. It was a little squirrely going down big hills under hard engine breaking, I suspect it was the trailer pushing the sidewalls of the tires over a bit, but it felt a little loose. Other than that, it certainly got the job done.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Howdy, thanks for the reply! The tires are 3,640 max load--so just under 7,300 pounds for the rear axle.

The 5er hitch I was considering was a couple hundred pounds, and not exactly easy to take in and out. Just having the goose ball and safety chain tie downs is so much easier--and of course weigh almost nothing. The big benefit is having full use of 8 feet of truck bed. On the few trips I have taken the Reese Goosebox handles everything very nicely. It has the built in shocks and airbag that sucks up a lot of chucking.

I will be very curious how it handles on a long trip. I just finished installing TPMS on the toy hauler with a repeater in the battery box. Also have Furrion rear and side cams. I will be watching everything very closely. Our first trip is likely to NC, so not too far from you.
    2019 Ram 3500 SRW Aisin
    2021 Momentum 351M

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, that 7300 would be the number I'd be watching. And make sure the tires are aired all the way up, which is probably beyond what the truck says on the sticker to support all the weight (IIRC, it was like 90lbs on my 250 for max weight).

I love my Goosebox. Yes, it's harder to hook up, but, I use the truck bed a lot more than I hook up the camper, and not having the 5er back there is really nice.

Hey, just make sure we don't park next to one another! Goosebox, TST tire monitors with a repeater in the battery box, Furrion cameras.. Sound familiar? Yup, my rig is configured exactly the same. I put on ComfortRide shocks a few months ago, so, as long as you don't do that, we at least have some way to tell them apart!

Wow, your first trip is from Spokane to NC! That's a haul, I'm jealous! Before you leave, sign up for TSD Logistics (diesel fuel at huge discounts!), you'll save 100's on a trip of that length!

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent advice on the tires--thank you!

Funny on the trailers--and it looks like you stepped up to a bigger truck. If we like this lifestyle, that is definitely in the cards for us too. Right now I'm going to put this Ram monster thru its paces and see how she does. Plus a dually would be useless in Spokane's winters--my driveway is a mile long up a small mountain. If we ever move south I would absolutely consider an F450.

I did pick up the TSD Logistics card; crazy good deal. That process should be stickied on every RV site for a day 1 acquisition.

My son is a Marine at Camp Lejeune. So we are going to see our family there in our virus free travel device--The Camp Tracy Viking Longship. Take care!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Camp Tracy Viking Longship.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	97.3 KB 
ID:	26407
    2019 Ram 3500 SRW Aisin
    2021 Momentum 351M

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice looking setup, how does the truck tow the rig? We are from the Spokane area as well and have a 20 ram 3500 cclb srw with the aisin and payload at 4,187 we are looking at the 381m for moving to East Texas for full time until we found a new home.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We circled the country fully loaded with the 1,000 pound Spyder. Over 7,000 miles, including Texas, and multiple mountain ranges. The setup was rock solid and whatever speed I set the cruise control at the Ram didn't lose anything, regardless of the mountain grade. Never really got pushed around, even in West Texas crosswinds. We were pretty much maxed out, but still within all safety margins. One upgrade I was looking at was independent suspension with heavier axles for the 5er. Just to give a little more cushion. We ultimately traded in the whole setup for diesel pusher. Much better for our dogs 🐕 --- and bathroom access is a plus.