Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by USA...HereWeCome View Post
    Hi Everyone!

Wanted to start a thread and include true, measured data about our brand new 2021 GD 2600RB and Ram 1500. Hoping to dispel a lot of the myths out there about weight and half ton trucks. Before we bought our previous Coachman trailer we did a lot of research and the thing that "burned" us was the tongue weight (We started towing it with a Jeep Grand Cherokee), the actual tongue weight was much heavier than the catalog weight. We wanted to avoid that with the GD 2600RB, but the online research was all over the map and I was afraid to trust GD numbers. I have an engineering background and feel that over the last few years have learned more than the average bear about weights and such. I know weight subjects are a hot button and I hope we can avoid that. Just Facts to help others like me trying to make an informed decision. It is early May here in PA and still snowing so data may come slowly over the next few weeks.

So I want to start with the elusive tongue weight. When doing my research I saw numbers as high as 850 lbs for an empty 2600RB and 1050 lbs ready to camp. I knew our truck could not handle that but I also did not believe it. Sure, the good rule of thumb is to take the GVWR of 7850 and multiply by 15% for worst case. But I knew we would never approach the GVWR. Let's get started with true data from our GD 2600RB:

2600RB Tongue Weight:
    Catalog = 594 lbs
    Vehicle Weight Info Sheet for our VIN# = 620 lbs - Sheet provided by GD
    Our Actual weight (With 2 full 20# LP tanks, DP24 battery, nothing else) = 640 lbs measured at the coupler with Sherline Tongue Scale

I give GD an A+ for the accuracy of the catalog weight here! First, you have to know according to the Sherline scale manual, the weight at the coupler is lighter, yes lighter, than the weight at the jack by a factor of 0.95. Seems like a big difference but I proved that is accurate with our last RV. Looking at the GD Vehicle Weight Info Sheet, I suspect GD measures the tongue weight at the jack instead of the coupler. For example, ours is 620 x 0.95 = 589 , awful close to the catalog weight. But the fact is after only adding Full LP tanks and a battery I was very surprised to measure only 640 lbs! My goal is to weigh around 6900 lbs and get about 12.5% tongue weight, we will see. Hope that helps some people.

2600RB UVW:
    Catalog = 5795
    Vehicle Weight Info Sheet for our VIN# = 6102 lbs

I give GD a B+ here. They were much closer than our previous RV but still 307 lbs off. I love how RV manufactures have "Mandatory Options" and options can effect weight. If you can not buy it without, it should just be standard. Besides the mandatory options, we only have the theater seating which can not weigh 307 lbs more? Fortunately, unlike the tongue weight, the UVW is either written on the labeling or can easily be calculated by subtracting the GVWR - Payload Capacity = UVW.

Enough for now, my next post will be about the truck receiver and hitch weights, Unless it quits snowing and I can pack it up, re-weigh the tongue and head to a CAT Scale! I plan to walk through the entire weigh process and hitch setup.
    This is invaluable information for those of us with Ram TV's and TT's in the 30ft. range.
    We have printed this thread and put it with our TT stuff for future reference.
    Thanks for taking the time to present this information.
    In a couple of weeks I will be installing the ProPride WDH and will put your info to good use.
    Bob A.
    Bob A.
    Bob & Alice
    2020 Ram 3500 Limited Megacab SRW Aisin
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2450RL
    ProPride 3P 1400 lb. bars WDH
    Micro Air easy start, Goodyear Endurance Load rated "E" Tires
    Titan 50 gallon diesel replacement tank
    Previous: 2019 Ram 1500 Limited

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    UPDATE: we have towed this setup through the PA mountains several times now. Plenty of power, no sway, very hilly, no problems whatsoever! Did change brake setting back to light electric with gain at 4.0. Tow/haul has worked great on some long, up to 8% downhill grades, with little need to apply brakes. Have not traveled much on interstate, anxious to see how it all handles at 65mph. Most of our trips have been 55 to 60 on 2 lane mountain highways and it tows great.
    Last edited by USA...HereWeCome; 07-27-2020 at 02:01 PM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the detailed post USA. We have a 2017 RAM Bighorn 1500/Hemi and our 2600 RB should be here within 2 weeks. Hopefully we can get dialed in as well as you are.
    Cheers!
    Jay Leonard
    New Port Richey, Fl
    2022 Imagine 2600 RB, 2021 Ram 2500 CC Bighorn 6.7L Cummins

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just wanted to throw in another "thank you" for this info post! I will be similarly loaded and while my TV is a GMC 1500, my numbers should be very similar and all your TT weights are within spec for my truck. Appreciate you doing so much legwork!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A follow up to my post above.
    Our 2600 RB's actual tongue weight per the spec sheet was 660 lb.
    When I weighed the truck and trailer when loaded only for 4 nights it had a tongue weigh just shy of 1000 lb.
    So with a payload of only 1440 we were pretty well overloaded. We were also only a few pounds shy of the GCWR, even though the trailer grossed out at 6550. The truck pulled the load fine and braking was awesome, but we were very overloaded.
    Since we plan to do some trips out west, we ditched the 1500 and are now using the 2500 you see in my signature.
    And the 2500 is so much more stable, I'm glad we made the change.
    Jay Leonard
    New Port Richey, Fl
    2022 Imagine 2600 RB, 2021 Ram 2500 CC Bighorn 6.7L Cummins

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Truly refreshing to read this post as we are waiting our finished new F150 and an anticipated purchase of the GD 2600RB and the 3P this Fall. Our numbers on paper appear to be very near max but it all depends on the final yellow door tag and the final loading which we control.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12