User Tag List

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can a Westinghouse iGen 2500 or Onan P2500i run my 15K AC unit?

Let me apologize a head of time for asking yet another generator question, because I know that there are tons of posts about them on the site. I've searched thru a lot of them and I haven't seen or read an answer to my question. You see I have a very bad back and can no longer lift my tired old 3500 generator, so I need to go with something a lot less heavy, say in the 50 lb range. Thru my research on the site I've learned that the smaller 2000/2200 inverter generators out there can't run a 15K BTU Dometic AC unit without doing some work to the AC unit, like adding a soft starter and even then it may not work. I also understand that I can just go with two inverter units using a parallel cable, so that's definitely an option. Frankly that was the plan until I came across two 2500 Inverter Generators that may be able to work. One is the Westinghouse iGen 2500 and other is Onan P2500i. Both have similar specs (2200 Rated Watts and 2500 Peak Watts) and for all know they could be the same unit with different labeling.

So my question is simple, can either one of these units run a stock Dometic 15K BTU air conditioning unit without modifying it or running two units in parallel?

Now I did read a post where someone said that the Westinghouse iGen 2500 ran their 15.5K Furrion which means???? Maybe it will run run my Dometic 15K AC unit???? I just don't know how close those two are. You would think because its a slightly bigger AC unit that it draws more power, but I just don't know and I'm not sure I'm willing to take a chance. The thing is, if either one of these two units can't run my AC unit then I probably go down the dual Honda or Yamaha inverter path.

Lastly, you help is greatly appreciated!

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm curious, what is the weight difference with the 2 that you mentioned compared to let's say a 3000 Champion or Firman invertor? I'm suspecting their might not be that much.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerBrewer View Post
    Let me apologize a head of time for asking yet another generator question, because I know that there are tons of posts about them on the site. I've searched thru a lot of them and I haven't seen or read an answer to my question. You see I have a very bad back and can no longer lift my tired old 3500 generator, so I need to go with something a lot less heavy, say in the 50 lb range. Thru my research on the site I've learned that the smaller 2000/2200 inverter generators out there can't run a 15K BTU Dometic AC unit without doing some work to the AC unit, like adding a soft starter and even then it may not work. I also understand that I can just go with two inverter units using a parallel cable, so that's definitely an option. Frankly that was the plan until I came across two 2500 Inverter Generators that may be able to work. One is the Westinghouse iGen 2500 and other is Onan P2500i. Both have similar specs (2200 Rated Watts and 2500 Peak Watts) and for all know they could be the same unit with different labeling.

So my question is simple, can either one of these units run a stock Dometic 15K BTU air conditioning unit without modifying it or running two units in parallel?

Now I did read a post where someone said that the Westinghouse iGen 2500 ran their 15.5K Furrion which means???? Maybe it will run run my Dometic 15K AC unit???? I just don't know how close those two are. You would think because its a slightly bigger AC unit that it draws more power, but I just don't know and I'm not sure I'm willing to take a chance. The thing is, if either one of these two units can't run my AC unit then I probably go down the dual Honda or Yamaha inverter path.

Lastly, you help is greatly appreciated!
    My Solitude has a built in ONAN 5500watt and it will run both 15K units at once. I recently bought 2 new Honda 2200 inverter generators just to have as backup and loan to family in Houston where if it storms the power is out for days sometimes. I hooked them in parallel with the Honda cable and darned if they didn't run BOTH A/C units at once. I started one ac and let the gennies settle down for a minute, they even throttled down with the Honda eco throttle, and then started the 2nd A/C. They of course sped up but they ran both for an hour while I was breaking them in. Awesome little generators and they weigh about 50 pounds apiece.
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We run our (EZ Start installed) Dometic Brisk II 15K AC with a Westinghouse iPro2500 inverter generator. Works fine and sips gas.

At one time Micro-Air recommended the Westinghouse 2500 watt generators as lower cost options to Honda or Yamaha
    Jeff and Mary
    2017 2600RB
    2022 F250 Lariat CC 6.7 w/ Max Tow
    Round Rock, (Donut Capital of Texas) <><

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BeerBrewer.....The running current for the A/C unit will be workable....likely in the 13-14 amp range (approx. 1600 Watts), but it's the starting current inrush that may cause a problem. Electric motors, when started have what is called inrush current and many times that current can be 3-4 times the normal current of when the unit has started and is running. So that inrush only lasts for milli-seconds and some generators will tolerate it and some wont....depending on the generator itself. Also, when that A/C unit's compressor starts (that's when the inrush of current happens), I wold suggest that there NOT be any other electrical load on the generator at that time. If worse comes to worse, a soft start kit installed on the A/C unit may end up being required to make the generator happy.......and to work.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynot4me2 View Post
    I'm curious, what is the weight difference with the 2 that you mentioned compared to let's say a 3000 Champion or Firman invertor? I'm suspecting their might not be that much.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    The Firman 2900 weighs about 95 lbs. I considered it, but its just too heavy. Most inverter generators that I've seen around 3000 watts weigh between 95 and 105 lbs. If you know of one that weighs less, I'd love to here about it. I'm not supposed to lift anything heavy. I've already had one spinal surgery and I don't want to have another.

I looked at the EZ Start unit on the Microair web page and the install doesn't look too bad. That's probably the way I should go.
    Last edited by BeerBrewer; 05-09-2020 at 09:43 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivercityjeff View Post
    We run our (EZ Start installed) Dometic Brisk II 15K AC with a Westinghouse iPro2500 inverter generator. Works fine and sips gas.

At one time Micro-Air recommended the Westinghouse 2500 watt generators as lower cost options to Honda or Yamaha
    UPDATE:
    After 4 years of light use, our Westinghouse generator no longer puts out 15+ amps. Suspect the stator is shot. Not cost effective to repair.
    Jeff and Mary
    2017 2600RB
    2022 F250 Lariat CC 6.7 w/ Max Tow
    Round Rock, (Donut Capital of Texas) <><

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the update.

I read that Honda is coming out with a new 3200 watt inverter generator that is less than 60lbs!

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerBrewer View Post
    Thanks for the update.

I read that Honda is coming out with a new 3200 watt inverter generator that is less than 60lbs!
    That sounds like a really good option, I've done the Micro-Air with smaller generator.

What I don't like is the marginal start up with other loads on such as the converter. The small generator has to run flat out where as the bigger unit loafs along.

I just did a quick search on that Honda, very fancy!
    2022 Solitude 310GK, Factory option Include, Dual Pane Winders, Slide Toppers, Solar pacakge, Gen Prep, Pull Out Kitchen & Heat Pump
    Cheaters list so far Includes, Snap Pads, 2ea 200ah Smart Heated Lithium Batteries
    2014 Sierra 3500HD Duramax LWB SRW