User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stealth13777 View Post
    I’m a huge believer in sticking within the numbers for safety. However, you have to understand what an F250 is - a truck with a GVWR to keep it as a class 2 vehicle for registration. This does NOT make it exactly the same as an F350 except springs (as often claimed), there are usually other small differences that matter. But it does lend some debate as to how much payload it can handle safely. In my opinion, the RAWR is your most important number. Closely followed by gross combined weight.

I say all this to state that I would not sweat trying to be exactly at or under the payload number with an F250. If you went on a trip with extra stuff in the bed or water in the tanks and ended up slightly over .. long as you didn’t overload the axle or bottom out the springs it really shouldn’t matter from a safety or capability standpoint.. That truck, more so than just about any other except maybe a 450, is limited primarily for registration purposes vice actual capability. So don’t go crazy. But no need to overthink here. It’s plenty of truck for the trailer used as an example by the OP.

Not starting a legality debate. Different question entirely. Good advice above on using trailer GVWs and percentages when doing math vice published ‘dry weight’.
    I agree with you stealth. IMHO, if you load up and get yourself weighed, are are well under your Axle weight ratings, and you have high quality tires aired appropriately, and you haven’t bottomed out your springs or coils, then I will pull with that rig.

But you have to have real data based on real weight of everything loaded as you would travel. No guessing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    2020 Reflection 31MB
    2016 Ram 2500 Cummins

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rgkeaney View Post
    I agree with you stealth. IMHO, if you load up and get yourself weighed, are are well under your Axle weight ratings, and you have high quality tires aired appropriately, and you haven’t bottomed out your springs or coils, then I will pull with that rig.

But you have to have real data based on real weight of everything loaded as you would travel. No guessing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Once you have the trailer, 100% agree on getting real data
    2022 Transcend Xplor 240ML
    2019 Imagine XLS 17MKE (sold 8/22)
    2017 Ford F-150 XLT 5.0 Fx4
    Blue Ox WDH

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12