User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Awning Stabilizer poles

Has anybody bought awning stabilizer poles to help make your awning from blowing up and down?
    If so are they a pain to put up and take down and do you think it was worth getting?

I do have a solitude so the awning is pretty high up.

awning stabilizer poles

Thanks.
    Allen & Denise
    Ford F350 Lariat CC SRW SB 4x4 Diesel
    2018 Solitude 310GK R

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife and I noticed quite few people used some sort of stabilization for their awnings when we stayed in Vail, AZ for the last couple of months. Everyday around noon the wind would come up and we had to retract the awning. Maybe it would have been okay, but made a racket. I plan on buying something like what you linked to for next winter.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2018 Dodge 3500 DRW
    2019 Reflection 337RLS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by yobigal View Post
    Has anybody bought awning stabilizer poles to help make your awning from blowing up and down?
    If so are they a pain to put up and take down and do you think it was worth getting?

awning stabilizer poles

Thanks.
    It looks like we have the same rig. I don't really see the need for the poles. Sometimes I tie my awnings down. I just use either a ratchet strap or some parachute cord to tie both ends to something sturdy. Sometimes it's a heavy picnic table, sometime I use screw-in-the-ground metal stakes (kind of like the doggie tie downs). Just be sure if screw something into the ground the RV park is OK with it; some prohibit it.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

awning stabilizer poles

Thanks.
    I like the idea. I saw this product last year. Max height is 108 inches ( 9 ft). I don't think that is tall enough for a Solitude. It wouldn't be too hard to make this out of pvc. KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, I just ordered a set of these, thinking they should work as stabilizer poles

amazon.com/gp/product/B000067S12/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Mike & Maria Whitaker
    2022 F-350 DW
    6.7 Diesel
    2020 320G

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been concerned that the outward pull from the stabilizers combined with the wind you're trying to protect from, would pull the awning away from the attachment points on the wall.
    Patrick & Marla with Boomer and Sooner

2007 Chev 2500 Allison Duramax
    2014 Solitude 368RD

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Despite all the rhetoric about to use or not use a pole to stabilize, i highly recommend them. My previous Mountaineer had a "normal" awning and once out and tied down, it was never rolled back up....unless of course the weather forecast said high winds >20 mph were coming. Now i have a Momentum w the powered awnings. Personally i think all three suck. They are too high to provide decent shelter, they are flimsy and make noise in the slightest wind. I havent put the hardware together yet for some sort of stabilizer for the two main canopies but they definately need it. The current manufacturers need to return to the previous type of awnings that can be used as intended. So to end this rant, yes, you need to use stabilizers even on the "new" style....

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by woody766 View Post
    Hi, I just ordered a set of these, thinking they should work as stabilizer poles

amazon.com/gp/product/B000067S12/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Made your URL clickable (you can use the link icon on the toolbar to do this):

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

awning stabilizer poles

Thanks.
    Allen,

We won a set of these at the Northeast Rally 2 years ago, I do have to tilt the awning down to setup or get something to step on to reach

Before I got these I tried the tie downs and had a surprise storm come through and ripped the screw-in anchors out of the ground, for about 45 minutes I was out in the storm trying to hold things down until the wind subsided. What I noticed during the the storm was that the wind pushed the awning up and down creating a bouncing effect.

So with the Stabilizer poles I like the fact that the awning will not bounce up and down in the wind.

But after experiencing the surprise storm / wind, if I think that a storm is coming or the wind is predicted, I bring the awning in, I don't want to take a chance, it's not worth it.

Mark
    Mark & Cindy, York, PA
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 230RL (White)
    Curt A16 Hitch, Turning Point Swivel Pin Box, set to Swivel, with Curt Wedge
    2019 Ford F250 STX 6.2L with 4.30 Gears, SB CC SRW 4x4, 18" Wheels, 3192 Payload, 15,000 Towing Capacity, Fifth Wheel Prep & Camper Package, Ultimate Trailer Tow Camera, Factory Ordered
    Prev TV: 2016 F150 3.5L Supercab with 6.5' bed, 2167 payload, LT Tires, and Air Lift 5000 air bags set to 15lbs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the poles from Carefree. Pretty much use them when we camp at a campground that is very open, and right on Lake Huron. The wind always blows there. They do work and being 6'4" I have no issue putting them on. However, if we know there is a storm coming, I put the awning up.
    2016 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast