Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New to RV

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New to RV

I have read thru all threads concerning tow weight hitch weight etc. I purchased a 2019 Dodge 2500 Laramie 6.7 Cummins in November 2019. Had no earthly idea I would be looking at RVs now or I would have opted for the 3500.

I like the Momentum 350G. I have a big Harley which I wish to carry. Also have three grand kids. The beds in back and half bath very attractive.

Has any one had real life experience pulling this unit with the truck I listed above.

Thanks,

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you know this but I believe you'll be way overloaded. Even with a gas engine truck you'd be pushing payload. That trailer is really better suited to a dually.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by glmflyer View Post
    I have read thru all threads concerning tow weight hitch weight etc. I purchased a 2019 Dodge 2500 Laramie 6.7 Cummins in November 2019. Had no earthly idea I would be looking at RVs now or I would have opted for the 3500. I like the Momentum 350G. I have a big Harley which I wish to carry. Also have three grand kids. The beds in back and half bath very attractive. Has any one had real life experience pulling this unit with the truck I listed above. Thanks,
    Hi, welcome to the forum. We're here to help you spend your money. You should probably have more truck.

The pin weight of a Momentum 350G is 2,600 pounds empty. It has a payload capacity of 3,850 pounds, so its pin weight when loaded up for toys and grandkids would almost certainly be north of 3,000 pounds, maybe as much as 3,400 pounds.

Your truck's door sticker will tell you specifically your payload capacity, which I'll *guess* will be hundreds less than 4,000 pounds. Add the weight of the people and stuff you'll have in the truck when towing and you'll probably be close to the truck's payload limit or maybe beyond it. Towing at the limits has real downsides in ride comfort and handling, wear and tear, safety and risk.

One opinion; you'll probably get others. This is the internet.

Good luck with your choice.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sorry, but I think WickedAce is correct. That rig may be too much for your truck. Since you've got a diesel engine I think your payload is more like 2300 to 2600 lbs depending upon options, like 4X4 or 2WD. There should be a sticker on the door frame that tells you your exact payload.

I own a 2018 RAM 2500 CTD 4X4 Crew cab with a short bed and my payload is only 2450 lbs. The weight of the diesel takes away from the payload. For example my exact same truck with a 6.4L gas engine has a payload of about 3300 lbs, 850 lbs more! My Ram 2500 pulls our 32' Transcend 26RLS with ease. My tongue weight loaded is about 900 lbs, which leaves me plenty of extra payload.

If you keep the truck, you may want to stick with a Travel trailer.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerBrewer View Post
    I'm sorry, but I think WickedAce is correct. That rig may be too much for your truck. Since you've got a diesel engine I think your payload is more like 2300 to 2600 lbs depending upon options, like 4X4 or 2WD. There should be a sticker on the door frame that tells you your exact payload.

I own a 2018 RAM 2500 CTD 4X4 Crew cab with a short bed and my payload is only 2450 lbs. The weight of the diesel takes away from the payload. For example my exact same truck with a 6.4L gas engine has a payload of about 3300 lbs, 850 lbs more! My Ram 2500 pulls our 32' Transcend 26RLS with ease. My tongue weight loaded is about 900 lbs, which leaves me plenty of extra payload.

If you keep the truck, you may want to stick with a Travel trailer.
    I'll also agree, and just say "welcome", as a founding member of the "2 truck club" (sold a 2019 250 to buy a 2019 450). However, that said, it really depends on you, I bought a 351M and towed it with the 250, it wasn't bad. The 450 is significantly better. If you're going to go bigger, don't get anything with a SRW (single rear wheel), the real difference is "dually or not". Go bigger, get a dually; stepping up from a 250 to a 350, for example, is just bananas to me, they are 99% the same, and I can't see anything different in them that makes towing safer that you can't rectify with airbags.

I have a long, detailed thread on the weights I saw on a 351M, including weigh slips. It was about 3K lbs. It was under my trucks rear axle weight rating (the 250) but put me over GVWR. To me, that's "OK" but that's a personal/individual decision. The things I would never exceed are the tire ratings, that's asking for bad things to happen.

That said, I strongly disagree with "get a travel trailer instead" if safety is your goal. Yes, you can very well stay "within stickers" with a travel trailer and your current truck. But is it "safer"? Having towed plenty of bumper pull trailers and now plenty of time with goosenecks and 5er's, here's my answer. I'd rather pull an overloaded truck with a 5er than a truck pulling the same trailer (not overloaded, because there's less weight transfer) on the ball behind it. Bumper pull is inherently less stable, it kicks the truck around more, it's less "secure" because it's not leaning on the truck as much. I've had a couple of "hair raising" moments pulling a bumper pull trailer (that was within weight) and 0, despite driving more miles, with gooseneck/5er's. They are just a better/safer connection, IMHO. 500 lbs over payload (but NOT over tire ratings) or under payload towing the same trailer on the bumper? Give me the 5er any day of the week. There's a reason that every tractor trailer you see uses that type of connection and transfers to much weight, it's just "better", in a whole host of ways, for towing performance. Yes, you might be legal towing a TT where a fifth wheel you're not, but I just don't see how that makes anyone any safer (unless, again, you're overloading your rear tires with a 5er and not overloading them with a TT).

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Overtaxed View Post
    I'll also agree, and just say "welcome", as a founding member of the "2 truck club" (sold a 2019 250 to buy a 2019 450). However, that said, it really depends on you, I bought a 351M and towed it with the 250, it wasn't bad. The 450 is significantly better. If you're going to go bigger, don't get anything with a SRW (single rear wheel), the real difference is "dually or not". Go bigger, get a dually; stepping up from a 250 to a 350, for example, is just bananas to me, they are 99% the same, and I can't see anything different in them that makes towing safer that you can't rectify with airbags.

I have a long, detailed thread on the weights I saw on a 351M, including weigh slips. It was about 3K lbs. It was under my trucks rear axle weight rating (the 250) but put me over GVWR. To me, that's "OK" but that's a personal/individual decision. The things I would never exceed are the tire ratings, that's asking for bad things to happen.

That said, I strongly disagree with "get a travel trailer instead" if safety is your goal. Yes, you can very well stay "within stickers" with a travel trailer and your current truck. But is it "safer"? Having towed plenty of bumper pull trailers and now plenty of time with goosenecks and 5er's, here's my answer. I'd rather pull an overloaded truck with a 5er than a truck pulling the same trailer (not overloaded, because there's less weight transfer) on the ball behind it. Bumper pull is inherently less stable, it kicks the truck around more, it's less "secure" because it's not leaning on the truck as much. I've had a couple of "hair raising" moments pulling a bumper pull trailer (that was within weight) and 0, despite driving more miles, with gooseneck/5er's. They are just a better/safer connection, IMHO. 500 lbs over payload (but NOT over tire ratings) or under payload towing the same trailer on the bumper? Give me the 5er any day of the week. There's a reason that every tractor trailer you see uses that type of connection and transfers to much weight, it's just "better", in a whole host of ways, for towing performance. Yes, you might be legal towing a TT where a fifth wheel you're not, but I just don't see how that makes anyone any safer (unless, again, you're overloading your rear tires with a 5er and not overloading them with a TT).

I respectfully disagree with you, it is NEVER safer to overload your tow vehicle with a 5th wheel than to pull a properly equipped travel trailer...NEVER. That is pure 100% nonsense! We use a Hensley hitch and have no issues with towing and have absolutely no sway at all.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You got an opinion from real world experience. Also consider your payload and not exceeding it, too much liability. I agree that if you ever do upgrade your truck, a DRW is the way to go. Yep they are not fun to park if you don't like walking. The benefit of relaxed towing with better stability and braking make it worth it.
    Last edited by Brewhedd; 05-10-2020 at 08:54 PM.
    2019 Reflection 312BHTS TT Sold

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerBrewer View Post
    I respectfully disagree with you, it is NEVER safer to overload your tow vehicle with a 5th wheel than to pull a properly equipped travel trailer...NEVER. That is pure 100% nonsense! We use a Hensley hitch and have no issues with towing and have absolutely no sway at all.
    We'll agree to disagree. But take my situation into consideration, my 250, pull the 351M was over rated payload by about 700 lbs. It was under axle and tire ratings. If it was a 350, it would have been within boundaries (and, since a 250 is, in all the ways that matters, a 350 and can be made "better than" a 350 with a few hundred dollars in airbags). If, however, I had bought a TT instead, 14K lbs was well within the rating of the 250 (because of less weight on the truck). You would feel more comfortable towing a 40' travel trailer from the bumper at 14K lbs (not overloaded) than a 40' 5er from the bed at 14K lbs (overloaded by GVWR, under by axle and tires)? I know the answer for me, absolutely not, a 5er is just a safer, more stable, more controllable and better way to tow. Even though it "wasn't legal" based on GVWR, no way I would have felt any more comfort towing a "legal" (by GVWR) combo with that truck. Maybe you would have, and maybe I'm wrong and would have been safer towing a huge TT, but.. I think this is firmly in the realm of "unknowables". What is knowable, at least for me personally, is I've had a lot more white knuckle towing when pulling a TT than I've ever had with a 5er or gooseneck connection. It's just, IMHO, a "better" way to tow.

And no, I wouldn't feel the same about a 150 pulling a 44' triple axle toy hauler, I'm specifically talking about the "de-rated" trucks (mostly 250's) and their safety towing a comparable length/weight trailer in a bumper pull vs 5'er configuration (with the bumper pull "legal" and 5'er over on GVWR, but not on axles/tires). In that situation, I'd take the overloaded truck any day; GVWR is a make believe number for registration (and perhaps, although this is debatable, legal/ticketing purposes). Axle ratings and tire ratings, there I agree, if you're over on these numbers, I'd say you're safer with a TT and lower weight, because those can lead to really bad things happening (losing a rear tire at speed isn't fun). But over on GVWR? I just don't see it.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum. I would look for another trailer. The 2500 will have the power to move it, but you will be overloaded. Yes, you could get away with it for a little bit, however if something were to happen both law enforcement and insurance companies will look at all your weights and ratings. If they find you overloaded you could face both criminal and civil actions. Its not worth the risk.
    2018 Ram CC,LB DRW Longhorn 6.7, AISIN, 4.10s

2021 Momentum 397TH-R

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Akfiredog377 View Post
    however if something were to happen both law enforcement and insurance companies will look at all your weights and ratings. If they find you overloaded you could face both criminal and civil actions. Its not worth the risk.
    Sorry to hijack this thread but does anybody have any verifiable proof that this is happening?

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast