Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Battery box

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SK,

Any chance your able to provide a link for the purchase of blue caps with the float...?

This will support the entire build, I’m following your lead....
    🏔 2 🏖

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, I used this link from water my battery;
    https://watermybattery.com/collectio...atering-system

When you open that page you will see just down a bit several battery manufactures. Choose the correct one for you, then click on the "Universal 6 Cell" system (or how ever many cells your set up will have) (top left of the choices, showing 6 caps for $54.00)
    These are universal systems but are much cheaper than one they build you. In my case I chose the Duracell, then the 6 cell system and my link looked like this;

https://watermybattery.com/collectio...sic-kit-6-cell

Once you are here, you have several choices, a gravity jug to fill, or manual bulb, (That was my choice, and I didn't get the little i-lite that tells you when to add water.)
    When you get them all the caps will be connected and open at both ends, one end of each battery row you'll cap, and the other you'll hook up to the fill hose. The bulb doesn't stay attached as it has a quick release so you can store it out of the way.

Hope this helps.
    2019 Reflection 367BHS with a few mods
    2018 F350 6.7 SRWD CCSB
    1971 F250 Highboy with lots & lots of mods...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SKI367BHS View Post
    I apologize for not posting a pic of the insides earlier. We ended up taking an unscheduled trip as my wife's vacation has been all messed up due to the lock down. Use it or lose it kind of a deal.
    Here is the internal snap of the box.
    I have a battery watering set up, so each cell will fill with the pump of a bulb, and the little white circles on the blue caps are a float to indicate when the cell is full.
    It's tight, and will require some work to disassemble but I'm hoping to see that kind of maintenance as minimal.
    I also forgot to mention that I cut a hole in the new box top and used some PVC to connect my existing vent hose. I used some plastic epoxy to weld the PVC to the box.Attachment 26671
    I used the same battery box as you for my 2 6V golf cart batteries, but I didn't close up the hole from the old battery box. I drilled a 2" hole in the new box to line up with the hole in the bottom if the tray. You need a hole in the bottom for proper air flow.
    I also didn't add a battery meter or switch, (nice touch).
    Mal & Helen
    With Mitzi our Yorkie
    2021 Solitude 310GK-R
    2020 Reflection 303RLS Sold
    2020 Ford F250 Lariat Super Duty 4WD 6.7 Diesel Short Bed
    B&W Companion Slider
    Amateur Radio Call sign WA2TWA

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMatthewsBand View Post
    Sorry to play devil’s advocate but instead of spending the time and money on this, why not just replace the two lead-acid batteries with a single AGM (which is much cheaper than lithium) and would have resulted in zero maintenance and the exact same capacity?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    AGM batteries still have to be vented. The only advantage to AGM batteries is that they can be mounted in any direction.
    Last edited by Malco1; 05-27-2020 at 03:56 PM.
    Mal & Helen
    With Mitzi our Yorkie
    2021 Solitude 310GK-R
    B&W Companion Slider

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Battery box

Quote Originally Posted by Malco1 View Post
    AGM batteries still have to be vented. The only advantage to AGM batteries is that they cam be mounted in any direction.
    I never said anything about venting. I was referring to an AGM because you don’t add water, which was the main subject of the OP’s thread, a watering system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DaveMatthewsBand; 05-27-2020 at 03:49 PM.
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I looked at doing something like this but just added a second 12-v group 24 battery after pricing out using 6-v batteries. Was concerned that your switch and meter may not be rated for installation in a hazardous location (due to off-gassing of hydrogen inside the batter box) but it looks like these devices have rating. Installing an AGM wouldn't do much for you, they aren't nearly as durable in deep-cycle use because you can't add water, most won't last over 2yrs in this service. The two 6-v golf cart batteries should survive many deep-cycles and if properly maintained by adding distilled water, should last over 5 years. Not sure what your saying about the factory cut-off switch. When I flip mine off there is no discharging of the batteries whatsoever but I haven't corrupted the system by wiring loads directly to the batteries.
    Scott & Susan
    2016 F250 CC SB SRW 4x4 pulling 2018 Momentum 349M
    Firestone Air Bags & 40 gal RDS Tank Bilstein 5100 Steering & 4600 Shocks

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Malco1 View Post
    I used the same battery box as you for my 2 6V golf cart batteries, but I didn't close up the hole from the old battery box. I drilled a 2" hole in the new box to line up with the hole in the bottom if the tray. You need a hole in the bottom for proper air flow.
    I also didn't add a battery meter or switch, (nice touch).
    I didn't put a hole in the bottom as my top sits very loose and there are gaps in those relief areas for other cables and I thought I'd run it a bit to see how it performed. To get the airflow right, I think I'd need to seal up the top and those reliefs and have a hole in the bottom to get the flow correct.
    2019 Reflection 367BHS with a few mods
    2018 F350 6.7 SRWD CCSB
    1971 F250 Highboy with lots & lots of mods...

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very well done, yes the golf cart 6v batts are a good alternative to the Lithium batts
    Mark & Lyne
    2019 Imagine 2250RK
    2017 Audi Q7 Premium Plus with factory tow package - 2 sway controllers
    TT Ready for boondocking with solar installed on roof

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SKI367BHS View Post
    I didn't put a hole in the bottom as my top sits very loose and there are gaps in those relief areas for other cables and I thought I'd run it a bit to see how it performed. To get the airflow right, I think I'd need to seal up the top and those reliefs and have a hole in the bottom to get the flow correct.
    I am not any kind of an engineer, but hydrogen is lighter than air so it will rise to the top of the box if you have air flow through the bottom of the box to the vent hopefully it will take the hydrogen gas with it. I think you need a draft, like in a fireplace. Air is sucked in under the fire and out the chimney. When I had a wood burning fireplace, I always lit a wad of paper and held it up the chimney to get a draft going.
    I did not seal up the top of the box yet. I just got the rig and it is in my driveway. When things get a little better, I will go to Lowes and pick up some foam insulation to plug up as much air space as possible around the top of the battery box.
    Mal & Helen
    With Mitzi our Yorkie
    2021 Solitude 310GK-R
    B&W Companion Slider

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the same battery box and will be replacing the stock 12v with my two Trojan 105s hopefully this weekend. I am still uncertain about drilling a hole in the bottom of my new battery box. I understand the airflow reasoning, however isn't an additional job of the battery box to contain any liquids that may come out of the battery?
    Jeff and Tanya
    Roxy (spoiled k9)
    2017 Ford F 250 6.7 Power Stroke Diesel
    2020 Reflection 150 Series 240RL

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast