User Tag List

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question AC runs on 15 amp?

My electrical knowledge is fairly basic so am hoping some of the more experienced folks in this area can help me with this question. I have a 2016 Imagine 2150RB stored at home. It's connected to a 15amp house circuit via a 30amp receptacle I had installed several years ago. I've been prepping the trailer in hopes of escaping the house soon. As part of that process, I was checking out all the appliances, lights etc. when I had a, uh, lapse in judgement and cranked up the AC to make sure it too was working. Ran it for a few moments, got some cold air coming out, shut it down and moved on the something else. Later on, I had the uh-oh moment and realized that I shouldn't have done that. However, now I have 2 nagging questions. One, why didn't the house breaker trip when I cranked the AC on? My limited knowledge tells me that the AC would try to pull more current than the breaker can handle and it should trip. And secondly (and perhaps more importantly), did I do any damage to the AC by starting it and running it on an "under-powered" circuit? Any help would be much appreciated. Oh, and not sure if this helps but as far as I can tell from the GD specs, the AC unit on the trailer is a 15,000 BTU unit. Thanks.

Greg

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are fine. The A/C will run on 15amp if nothing else is running. The breaker will trip if too much draw.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent, good to know. Thanks.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Make sure you have a very heavy gauge extension cord, 12 gu at least. Your regular power cord is best.

Typical breakers are heat activated, so they take time decide to trip. That will get you through the start up. After that it all depends on conditions.
    Rick

2019 Reflection 150 273MK
    2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
    PullRite Superglide