User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Long Ride

Interior Wood Finish

We finally were able to see the interior of the Reflection yesterday and we a little disappointed on how dark and drab some of the wood looked. I know this sounds a bit particular (or anal) because the rest of the unit is exactly what we want and the quality is there. Its just that "hand-rubbed maple" is a medium tone wood and some of what we say look almost like a matt-finish, dark walnut. We then stepped into the Winnebago next to it and the cherry tones made a huge difference in the warmth of the unit...but we want the 27RL. We realize that this may vary and not be true for all units but does anyone else think the interiors could feel warmer/richer if the stain was a little lighter like the brochures?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Boy that's a tough one. Such a personal preference thing. We came from a lighter finish and we find our new 337RLS to be much warmer/richer and yet not nearly as dark and cave-like as my friend's Montana High Country. The one thing we were afraid of was getting in to a trailer, like our 337RLS, that has no windows on the street side. But in all honesty, we are not disappointed nor do we feel closed in.

Anyway, just my .02, YMMV.
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    No matter which one you go with, just understand that the cabinets are not 100% wood. The cabinet doors and drawer fronts are stained wood. The cabinet frames are a vinyl covered wood product. It's probably the same in both brands.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The first time I walked into a Reflection, I was immediately turned off by the "dark" interior, wood & flooring.
    A year later, we looked again and I was more impressed. I came to see the value of less carpet in the living room/kitchen.
    We ended up buying a 337RLS and are happy with it. I guess the darker wood around the TV cabinet, the back of the
    hutch, and the island is still a bit too dark for my taste, but I have gotten used to it.
    I also think it makes a big difference if you have a lot of lights on inside when you look at it.
    On a sunny day or at night with a lot of lights on, you may have a different impression.

For what it's worth........

K
    Ken & Wilma
    Central Maryland
    2014 Reflection 337RLS #439
    2011 F250 CC 4x4

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Ken, I bet those dark panels you are talking about (also the strip in the bedroom, right?) could easily be lighten up with either paint or stain or even replaced with a lighter wood product.
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Long Ride
    "Cavernous" is not the best adjective since the open floor area made it feel quite spacious to us. "Drab brown" is more descriptive. We noticed it most on the raised panel cabinet fronts where there is a lot of end grain showing. Overall a warmer brown stain would make a big difference as would the lights, throws, pillows, etc. that others pointed out.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    For us, it doesn't get much warmer / richer / cozier. Just saying.

2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FYI: If you happen to scratch a cabinet or need to restain any wood trim, I understand that Minwax Hickory stain matches perfectly. It's available in any hardware store.

There have been some complaints about the color on the beadboard coming off when cleaned with strong cleaners. Most beadboards are actually MDF materials, and I wouldn't be surprised if the beadboard's been painted. I would suggest anyone be very careful when cleaning it.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is a matter of opinion. For us the "hand rubbed maple" with the dark accents on hutch, tv, and island is what made us fall in love with the Reflection. We had the same floor plan picked out in a Widcat, but just weren't crazy about dark oak or cherry wood.
    Glad I peaked in a Reflection (with all slides closed) and saw the colors, as I believe Reflection is much nicer product than the Wildcat we would have got.
    Scott and Jan Platt Ocala, FL
    Cameron(Son) & Chica(chihuahua)
    2014 Reflection 337RLS
    2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD 4X4, Crew Cab, Dually, Diesel
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love the Reflection interior. We looked at a Solitude, but they have a darker finish on the wood work. It was nice, but we preferred the Reflection. That's one of the ways Grand Design keeps the cost down. Only one choice for interior color, not 6!
    Sean and Donna Duling
    2015 Reflection 337rls #627
    1996 F-350 CC 4x4 DRW 7.3L
    Ferndale Wa.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast