User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finally got around to finishing the bedrug

Since we are finishing up the deal next weekend on our 29RS, I figured I needed to finally get around to cutting out the puck holes in the Bedrug. I left them covered until we decided on our new unit. Also pretty warm today so that helped flex the trim rings inside out. Here's what I did.

First was the worst part, unzipping the Bedrug 3/4 of the way to the cab and crawling under it to retrieve the trim rings.

Second I felt around to find the puck holes and cut just the hole out to see what I was working with.

Third is to take the Xacto Knife and cut out just around the puck part. Definitely don't cut it back to the bed. I got a little bit away from one and was worried that the trim ring wouldn't cover my goof. But it did.

Fourth cut about a 45degree angle of the padding out around the hole you cut. Makes it a lot easier to get the trim ring on.

Finally after the trim rings were in the sun for a couple of hours I pushed the inside opening down while pulling up on the outside to reverse their natural shape. This was almost as fun as crawling under the Bedrug. After inverting the shape I quickly worked it around the puck until it was snapped all the way around. I did the trim rings one at a time so each was flexible.

Turned out pretty good I think. With the little legs on most hitches I feel the Bedrug won't be in the way for a good solid hook up.

Hope this may help someone out in the future!

Stay safe everyone!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20200510_165406.jpg   IMG_20200510_165412.jpg   IMG_20200510_165418.jpg   IMG_20200510_165258_kindlephoto-717584421.jpg  
    Last edited by Bwood BBQ; 05-10-2020 at 05:38 PM.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice job. It sure looks pretty. Any concern that the hitch won't set right/level/correctly in the holes? I need to check mine the next time I put the hitch back in the truck but I don't have a bed rug.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    Nice job. It sure looks pretty. Any concern that the hitch won't set right/level/correctly in the holes? I need to check mine the next time I put the hitch back in the truck but I don't have a bed rug.
    Not too worried since the b&w does have the legs that sit on the top of the puck itself. I searched images online and the puck companion seems to stand up abit. Now I have read recently that the Ford Pucks can have some different heights due to their tolerances. I heard B&W is including shims to help out with that issue. Hopefully I won't have to cut a big square out of the Bedrug, but I will carry the Xacto Knife with me when I go Saturday.

Also if I may ask doesn't the Demco you have the stands on it also? The B&W is my first choice and the Demco is my second option.
    Last edited by Bwood BBQ; 05-10-2020 at 05:02 PM.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you already have the 5th wheel hitch? If not, consider a Goosebox, that way you only need a ball in the bed. I have a bedrug in my 450 with the factory system, and it's perfect, just the ball and the 4 points sticking up, nothing touching or in the way of the rug at all.

BTW, your install looks much better than mine! I knew I was going to beat it up anyway, so I wasn't exactly.. Well, exact, cutting the holes. It's fine. Yours is better!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Overtaxed View Post
    Do you already have the 5th wheel hitch? If not, consider a Goosebox, that way you only need a ball in the bed. I have a bedrug in my 450 with the factory system, and it's perfect, just the ball and the 4 points sticking up, nothing touching or in the way of the rug at all.

BTW, your install looks much better than mine! I knew I was going to beat it up anyway, so I wasn't exactly.. Well, exact, cutting the holes. It's fine. Yours is better!
    Thanks! I have a short bed so haven't even considered the goosebox. Will look into it. Haven't got the hitch yet. Kinda planning on getting it from the dealer Saturday. I hemmed and hawed back and forth on how to cut them out. We'll see if I can keep it. Thanks again for the compliment!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Talked to the dealer and going with the Pullrite Superglide 18k. Think that will be the best for the setup we have. Dealer gave me a good price and I'm kinda done with hitch research. Those little brass spacers should make it work well with the Bedrug. I'll definitely post some pictures once it is installed and any issues I run into during hitch install.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here it is installed. Tech said he had no issues with the Bedrug. Obviously presses the Bedrug down some, but if you look close around the pucks is a slight gap between the base and rug. Before we hooked up I gave it a good yanking and pressed down to make sure I didn't feel any slop or mushy feeling. It was rock solid.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails KIMG0818.jpg   KIMG0819.jpg   KIMG0820.jpg  

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks like you did a great job. I really dont understand the purpose of a bed rug though. How does it hold up with rain and snow? Obviously it's not for everyone, would be good for someone with a cap on their truck. Mine has Line X and I'm happy with it, my truck bed also has lots of dirt in it from dirt bikes and other random stuff that goes back there from time to time so I dont imagine that would work out well with a bed rug.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    It looks like you did a great job. I really dont understand the purpose of a bed rug though. How does it hold up with rain and snow? Obviously it's not for everyone, would be good for someone with a cap on their truck. Mine has Line X and I'm happy with it, my truck bed also has lots of dirt in it from dirt bikes and other random stuff that goes back there from time to time so I dont imagine that would work out well with a bed rug.

We had the bed rug in a previous truck and loved it. It is a out door rug so the weather wouldn't hurt it. In fact you can use soap and a broom to clean it. It is a lot easier on the knees if you have tokneel down for something. It will help keep things from sliding around so easy too.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post

The reason I went with the Bedrug is because I didn't want a spray bed lined knocking the enamel coating off of my Weber kettles. I do have a tuxedo pro x15 tonneau cover over the bed. I agree for a highly worked bed it probably would be a hassle. I don't haul travel or dirt in the bed. Dad has a dump trailer that we use for stuff like that. Lots of people say they have no issues hauling sand/gravel in them. What kinda sold me on it was that it is made from polypropylene. We make some bottles from it at work and it's super tough. I totally agree that the Bedrug isn't for everyone, but it works well for my application.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast