Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First time RV buyer with ?'s, experienced in towing and Motorhome rentals

Hi All,

I stumbled across this forum as I began my search for a travel trailer spurred by a few life points intersecting. After searching and inspecting trailers, my criteria evolved and a ranking began. unladen weight and it's tongue weight are the independent variables. My wife's 2020 BMW X5 will be our tow vehicle. I understand that this is not the ideal TV, but I've had my share of trucks and vans from 1/2 ton to 1 ton and don't want that vehicle any longer. I've towed a 40 foot enclosed trailer loaded with Jeeps and supplies around the country for exploring, and know that a travel trailer will tow differently, especially given the X5. However, the X5 does have a great engine with power and torque, fantastic transmission and a reasonable max tow rating of 7200 along with the air bags for leveling.

Curb Weight 4,900
    GVWR 6,691
    Max Payload 1,791
    Max Tow (tow PKG) 7,200
    Max Tongue Weight 720

Passengers (2 adults, teen, small pup - ~430
    Fuel ~140
    Misc ~75

My questions are would the 23BHE or 21BHE be too much for it. On paper, both are within the numbers. I don't expect it to climb a 6% grade like my F350 did, but I'm betting it would do as well as the E350 and the v10 did. Is the curb weight insufficient? Power wise, the turbo 6 with 350ish HP and torque should be enough, but as I've never towed with anything other than 1/2 ton or greater, I can't say for certain. I'm hoping people here have experience to share that will provide insight. Many thanks.
    Last edited by WhereItsAt; 05-11-2020 at 01:21 PM.

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi and welcome to the forum!
    Shorter wheel base vehicles are not the best or safest for towing travel trailers, but that is just my opinion. I'm sure some others will chime in with other thoughts.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitely agree that the shorter wheelbase (28"-40" less than a PU) makes towing different and lessens the capacity, unsure on the safety aspect. Thank you for adding insight.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My initial thinking was no way should you tow anything over 20'. So I looked around.

I found this....

And this...

and then this....

With your 117" wheelbase I don't think you will like towing what you are asking about.

I had a full size van base in the late 80" and pulled a 24' travel trailer (with equalizing hitch and sway control). It didn't take me long to move up to a motor home. When I sent back to a 26' travel trailer I got a Ford F250. Much better handling but still had trailer sway.
    Last edited by traveldawg; 05-14-2020 at 06:35 AM.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the links and taking the time do post them

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    My initial thinking was no way should you tow anything over 20'. So I looked around.

I found this....

And this...

and then this....

With your 117" wheelbase I don't think you will like towing what you are asking about.

I had a full size van base in the late 80" and pulled a 24' travel trailer (with equalizing hitch and sway control). It didn't take me long to move up to a fifth wheel. When I sent back to a 26' travel trailer I got a for F250. Much better handling but still had trailer sway.
    That article is real good

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will be picking up our 2020 XLS 21BHE tomorrow to be towed behind our 2011 BMX X5D with air bags. We purchased a BlueOx DH and Curt Bluetooth trailer brakes.... Will do a short trip down the highway to see how it handles.

Will follow up tomorrow.....Fingers crossed.....

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking forward to the results. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by smrdc1974 View Post
    I will be picking up our 2020 XLS 21BHE tomorrow to be towed behind our 2011 BMX X5D with air bags. We purchased a BlueOx DH and Curt Bluetooth trailer brakes.... Will do a short trip down the highway to see how it handles.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by smrdc1974 View Post

Hope he's doing ok............he never replied.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AnAngryVet View Post
    Hope he's doing ok............he never replied.
    Doing fine... Sorry for the delayed response. When we were getting our trailer the dealership would NOT install the Blue Ox WDH because of the unibody construction. So we left with the camper in tow with a new ball and hitch. We have done two trips so far (backroads) no hightway driving due to sway. So, I went ahead and purchased the Blue Ox from etrailer and will be testing the system this week before we leave on our next camping trip. The WDH leveled out the SUV in our driveway so there is 1/2 in diffence from the front of the car to the back tires. There really was not much sag in the rear of the SUV becasue of the factory air bags on my BMW X5D with third row seats. Looks very level and I am looking forward to the test ride.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast