User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can anyone address the off road capability of the Imagine XLS 17MKE?

We travel with friends who also are buying a TT. We plan to do some boondocking. Therefore I'm curious as to how well the 17MKE performs on rough non-paved roads. Can anyone shed some light on the subject?

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm suprised no one has done any boondocking with an Imagine. What kind of ground clearance does it have and are there sewer pipes hanging low to get caught on bumps? You could always upgrade the suspension and give it a lift if the back roads are that rough and you intend to boondock often.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GaryS1964 View Post
    We travel with friends who also are buying a TT. We plan to do some boondocking. Therefore I'm curious as to how well the 17MKE performs on rough non-paved roads. Can anyone shed some light on the subject?
    It isn’t designed for it and won’t like it. It runs a standard lippert chassis with dexter axles. Nothing special bearing wise etc. The tires are highway tires. I personally think anything but a nicely groomed dirt/gravel road is asking for trouble. Boondocking wise it’s a fine trailer. But an off road trailer it is not.

You get a little bit of a break with the frame because it’s the same as on larger and therefore heavier trailers. But it runs 3k axles so nothing extra there. I can see suspension issues, frame attachment point issues, and interior / fixture issues if you tried to beat on it. Just my opinion. Lots of trailers run very similar lippert setups, if you don’t get a response here just look at pretty much any similar size dual axle not designed for off road and see how it did.

Sorry if the post is a bummer. Hopefully most places you’re thinking of going aren’t serious trails, in which case the trailer has nice size tanks and really is a nice setup.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While we don’t have a XLS, we do have a 2400BH and took it boondocking this past weekend. About 2 miles in on a dirt road, thankfully it wasn’t very rough but did have a few spots that flexed the suspension on both the truck and trailer. I took it slow and easy and didn’t have any issues. We didn’t scrape on anything underneath either. These are not off-road worthy trailers, and I probably wouldn’t take it on any rougher roads than where we went.

Years ago, a buddy of mine took his truck and trailer camping (boondocking) far off the beaten path. The road became really rough, with no place to turn around. Plenty of cross up sections that basically over-flexed his trailer and ended up bending the frame on it.

If they’re not built specifically for that kind of use, I wouldn’t get to brave with it.

Here’s are spot from the weekend;

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2724_heic-S.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	65.4 KB 
ID:	26628

Name:	IMG_2725_heic-S.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	77.0 KB 
ID:	26629
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2400BH
    2017 Toyota Tundra TRD Pro Double cab

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Operating XLS 17 MKE with no shore power

Quote Originally Posted by That 1 Ron View Post
    While we don’t have a XLS, we do have a 2400BH and took it boondocking this past weekend. About 2 miles in on a dirt road, thankfully it wasn’t very rough but did have a few spots that flexed the suspension on both the truck and trailer. I took it slow and easy and didn’t have any issues. We didn’t scrape on anything underneath either. These are not off-road worthy trailers, and I probably wouldn’t take it on any rougher roads than where we went.

Years ago, a buddy of mine took his truck and trailer camping (boondocking) far off the beaten path. The road became really rough, with no place to turn around. Plenty of cross up sections that basically over-flexed his trailer and ended up bending the frame on it.

If they’re not built specifically for that kind of use, I wouldn’t get to brave with it.

Here’s are spot from the weekend;

Name:	IMG_2724_heic-S.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	65.4 KB 
ID:	26628

Name:	IMG_2725_heic-S.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	77.0 KB 
ID:	26629
    How do you get the slide out without shore power, just using the battery?

Cheers!

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Av8tor737 View Post
    How do you get the slide out without shore power, just using the battery?

Cheers!
    The slide out works on 12v, so yes by battery. If boondocking you’ll need a way to recharge the battery(s) via solar, generator, or a combo. Those who boondock often in TTs add a second battery. If interested, there are plenty of threads on the subject by doing a search.
    2010 Tundra SR5 DC 5.7L 4x4
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Andersen WDH
    Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension Kit
    2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2104s
    2014 Jayco x17z Hybrid

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stealth13777 View Post
    It isn’t designed for it and won’t like it. It runs a standard lippert chassis with dexter axles. Nothing special bearing wise etc. The tires are highway tires. I personally think anything but a nicely groomed dirt/gravel road is asking for trouble. Boondocking wise it’s a fine trailer. But an off road trailer it is not.

You get a little bit of a break with the frame because it’s the same as on larger and therefore heavier trailers. But it runs 3k axles so nothing extra there. I can see suspension issues, frame attachment point issues, and interior / fixture issues if you tried to beat on it. Just my opinion. Lots of trailers run very similar lippert setups, if you don’t get a response here just look at pretty much any similar size dual axle not designed for off road and see how it did.

Sorry if the post is a bummer. Hopefully most places you’re thinking of going aren’t serious trails, in which case the trailer has nice size tanks and really is a nice setup.
    I agree 100%. Some thoughtful and cautious boondocking is one thing but offroad with this model? If I owned this model, that would be a big NO.
    Dave and Sue Dion
    SCPO(SW), USN, (Ret)
    2020 GD Imagine 2250RK
    2019 F-150 XLT FX4 5.0L,1823 payload