User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Noob here. Got our first rv last fall and been on 9 trips and maybe four other bring it home form storage lot trips so maybe 30 hook and unhooks at most. Ideally raising the trailer will provide enough angular distance to unhitch the ball easily but we have had similar issues. I've found various solutions that have worked including, putting it in neutral, turning the steering wheel to turn the tires, and of course putting it in gear to just roll one way or the other just a smidge. It depends on the slope of the are you are on and if you were pulling forward or backing into a spot. I don't have a definitive if doing this then do this but it is just trig when you thin about it.

And grease it up.

Setting Up Camp
    Currently near the Columbia River in Oregon
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've found that once I've leveled side to side, I check the wheels and use X-Chocks between the tires as well. Then once once I raise the trailer up enough to get the spring bars removed, I'll put the truck in neutral, that allows the ball to center itself and take weight off itself inside the hitch.
    Traveling along the Columbia River, I'm kayaking all 1200ish miles...
    approx 575 miles done
    **Wilderness Systems Kayaks** Mine-Tsunami 175 Hers-Zephyr 165
    2018 -2670MK behind a 2000 F250 (for now)

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hampal View Post
    I just brought our new 2500 RL home on Friday night and ran into a problem trying to unhitch in my yard.

FWIW I'm a newbie and have never towed a trailer anywhere near the size of this before. I'm using a blue ox sway-pro attached to my 2016 F-150. This is a standard ball and coupler setup with weight distribution bars to make the towing better.

I got the side-to-side leveling pretty close and tried to unhitch so I could do the front-to-back, but the ball and coupler would not separate. The latch on the coupler was definitely in the unlocked position but when I tried to raise the trailer off the ball, both the trailer and truck went up and the ball stayed inside the coupler. Are there any tricks to getting them to separate? Do the truck and trailer need to be in a perfect line? They were not. Maneuvering the trailer left the truck at maybe a 5 degree angle to the trailer.

I was eventually able to get them to separate but not very gracefully. I decided to try to move the truck forward a fraction of an inch so I put my foot on the brake and threw the truck in gear. At idling speed I released the brake and after the truck moved maybe half an inch I reapplied it. WHAM! The trailer rolled backwards right over the wheel chock on the high side, and off of the leveling blocks on the low side. The WHAM and jolt where probably the safety chains (which were still attached) stopping the trailer from going any further. (I had a popup years ago and learned to never unhook the chains until everything was level and stabilized.) FWIW the ground is pretty level there and I was totally surprised that the trailer rolled backwards.

There has to be an easier way to get the coupler off the ball. If not this is going to be a nerve-racking thing every time I try to unhitch. So what are your suggestions?
    Put the trans in neutral and parking brake off when unhooking.
    2020 2150RB
    2015 Silverado 5.3 L extended cab
    Former: 2015 Casita 17'
    Former: 1986 Terry 34'
    Former: 1988 Pearson 31-2 sailing sloop (liveaboard)
    Too many guitars and too many boats (according to my wife anyway)

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see what everybody is saying But I can't believe the trailer hitch is properly Unlatched from the tow ball. I had same problem with my one year old coachman trailer. I now have a imagine xls 22rbe same type of unlatch. The trailer unlock latch lifts up and then latch must be moved backwards towards rear of trailer. This Is a 2 step process.
    [email protected] email me if you wish.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you haven't greased it, that should do the trick. Get some good hitch ball lubricant (I use marine grade bearing grease). You should also be able to tell when the truck starts being lifted by the trailer tongue jack. There is a point in mine where you can tell the weight is completely off the truck and the weight of lifting the truck then transfers to the trailer jack. After disconnecting the weight distribution bars, you should put the weight of the tongue back on the truck almost completely. (Raise the tongue jack on the trailer until the trailer weight is completely on the hitch), then unlock the hitch ball lock to ensure that the ball is completely unlocked. If everything is lubed and adjusted properly, it should completely unlock. then, when you raise up the trailer tongue, it should completely come off the ball with no issues.

Make sure everything is lubed up correctly and you should be good to go.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Parking brake off and neutral

Quote Originally Posted by RLB348 View Post
    Put the trans in neutral and parking brake off when unhooking.
    I dont think id do that, you may lose your truck if it pops off and rolls away

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WE7BBQ View Post
    I dont think id do that, you may lose your truck if it pops off and rolls away
    We do it most of the time when unhooking. (1) have someone in the TV ready to hit the brakes if necessary and/or (2) place a wheel chock(s) a few inches from the wheels in direction of potential travel just in case!
    2020 2150RB
    2015 Silverado 5.3 L extended cab
    Former: 2015 Casita 17'
    Former: 1986 Terry 34'
    Former: 1988 Pearson 31-2 sailing sloop (liveaboard)
    Too many guitars and too many boats (according to my wife anyway)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahhhhh...... yeah i was thinking that bugger pops off and away ho she goes, good thinking

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Happens from time to time with mine. After removing spring bars, chalking the wheels, I take parking brake off, but leave truck I'm park. This lets me rock the truck with bodyweight and helps it wiggle off.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123