User Tag List

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Member Introduction

My name is Pat . I am a new member shopping for. grand Design Fifth Wheel for full time living. I’m excited to learn from members of this forum. Advice is welcome!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome Pat! Grand Design has many floor plans so I’m sure you will find something that you like. I think GD products are high quality and they have a good reputation for service after the sale.

Please keep us updated on what model you decide on.

Mark
    Mark & Megan & Levi (our floppy eared four legged furry friend)
    2019 Reflection 303RLS
    2019 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Duramax
    B & W Companion

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum, Pat. Any meaningful advice would require knowing:

1) do you plan to travel or stay put in one place?
    2) do you already have a tow vehicle and, if so, what?
    3) how many of you will be living in the RV?
    4) are you considering something on the lightweight end such as the Reflection 150 series, something at the heavy end such as a Solitude or Momentum, or something in between? This makes a huge difference in the tow vehicle required.
    5) in which parts of the country do you plan to spend most of your time?

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are planning on full time and are shopping for a tow vehicle now. We like the Solitude 310GK but my husband would prefer not to get a dialysis and we are concerned that a one ton may be pushing the limit. I see you changed from a Reflection to a Solitude. Reason?

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That was supposed to be dualy, not dialysis.

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Patricia Bair View Post
    We are planning on full time and are shopping for a tow vehicle now. We like the Solitude 310GK but my husband would prefer not to get a dialysis and we are concerned that a one ton may be pushing the limit. I see you changed from a Reflection to a Solitude. Reason?
    The Solitude 310 is definitely in 1-ton territory - maybe even dual rear wheel if you install a washer/dryer, generator, or anything else. There are many members of the "two-timers club" who have purchased too little truck for their trailer and ended up having to trade trucks... much more expensive that way. Many old-timers recommend choosing your trailer first, then shopping for a tow vehicle capable of handling it. It's more about payload than towing capacity. If you don't want a 1-ton truck, you'll need to be looking at the Reflections (other than the two heaviest).

Our Reflection was built before auto-level was standard on the Reflection fifth wheels. It also didn't have dual pane windows and a few other things we wanted. When we made the decision last year to stay on the road as long as we are able (we hope for for at least another 15 years of good health), we decided to move up to the Solitude and get everything we wanted. We really like our 310.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Patricia Bair View Post
    Howdy from Texas!
    Listen to Second Chance Rob. The 310 is differently in 1 ton territory and at 15,000# GVWR and the dry pin weight listed at 2350# you'll likely see 3000# (20% of the RV GVWR is typical) pin weight when the RV is loaded. More if you add a washer/dryer and fill up the front closet with "stuff". Based on how a particular 1 Ton SRW truck might be optioned, you "could" be near to your payload rating once you hitch up and have the truck loaded down with people and anything else you load into the truck (firewood, tool box, generator etc). You will have to also include the hitch weight as part of the cargo weight the truck is carrying. Our companion hitch weights in excess of 200# by itself. You would have to be very selective of the SRW truck you choose and still have a good payload margin left over. Also will the truck be a short bed or a long bed? A short bed truck may require a slider hitch and they can be heavy.

I understand your husbands reluctance on getting a DRW 1 Ton, He is probably thinking about tires, width of the rearend, parking lots, drive up windows and so forth. They are not really that bad.
    Now we went way overboard buying our 1 Ton DRW as far as it's payload rating to haul our RV. Generally we have near 1000# margin on our payload rating unused and we love its stability. I am not saying you have to have that much unused payload left over but we have learned from the past to never use anything near its maximum potential.

Good Luck and have a great time!
    Last edited by Steven@147; 05-12-2020 at 11:21 AM.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome, and enjoy. Believe me, you will get some good advise here! Taking out weights and so on, make sure you get what you really want. Sit in them and think through how you would do daily chores and so on. IMO Grand Design has the best floor plans, and absolutely the best service after the warranty runs out.
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB
    2019 Chevy 2500HD LT Crew Cab Gasser