User Tag List

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 bmw x5d

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What timely thread. We have a 2020 X5 xDrive with the air suspension and two package (7,200 max tow, 720 max tongue, 1,700 pound capacity). Our previous X5 was a 2008 with the air suspension, but only on the rear, but we never towed with it. Please update this thread with your tow experience, please. We're looking at the 21BHE and 23BHE. I'm leaning more toward the 23BHE, but your experience may dissuade me. Thank you

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will let you know Friday after pickup.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by smrdc1974 View Post
    I will let you know Friday after pickup.
    How did it go?
    2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L
    2021 Micro Minnie 2100BH
    previously - Reflection 28BH, Intech Pursue

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found on the airstream owners forum, many use the X5, Q7 and Cayenne to tow 25-27' trailers. I don't challenge that a long wheelbase truck will be better, especially at high speeds. But for people that don't want to own a pickup any longer for a myriad of reasons (garage, parking, ride, technology, etc.), a capable and properly equipped SUV will do the task well. canamrv.ca seems to be a great resource.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhereItsAt View Post
    I found on the airstream owners forum, many use the X5, Q7 and Cayenne to tow 25-27' trailers. I don't challenge that a long wheelbase truck will be better, especially at high speeds. But for people that don't want to own a pickup any longer for a myriad of reasons (garage, parking, ride, technology, etc.), a capable and properly equipped SUV will do the task well. canamrv.ca seems to be a great resource.
    I totally get it. I'm honestly curious. I sold my 28BH fifth-wheel and am now shopping the small end of the market. The 21BHE is the longest/biggest thing on my list and one of its few demerits is that I doubt I'd feel comfortable towing it at highway speeds with anything less than an HDPP F150. When I think of my X5, my mind just thinks of a Casita or some of the specialty tear-drops.
    2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L
    2021 Micro Minnie 2100BH

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Me too. The new X5 (model G05) has upped the game along with the GLE and Q7 (those two out tow the X5). After learning/reading more of the Airstream owners experience, I'm confident that the mid-size german SUV's will tow well. Not 75MPH well, but certainly 65mph. CanAm installed a blu-ox WD hitch and the electronic sway controller and the SUV's were very competent. My wife's X5 with the front and rear air suspension self levels and tows supremely well. My biggest concern was sway due to travel trailer dynamics, which slowing down and adding the sway control appears to eliminate. I'm not interested in owning another PU. We still have a 2010 F150 crew FX4 with the 5.4 and it's towed the car hauler well. But I hate driving it often and handed it over to our son. It's far more enjoyable than the F350 I had, but still not a comfortable drive. My plan is to rent on outdoorsy and give it go before we buy anything.

Quote Originally Posted by backtrack2015 View Post
    I totally get it. I'm honestly curious. I sold my 28BH fifth-wheel and am now shopping the small end of the market. The 21BHE is the longest/biggest thing on my list and one of its few demerits is that I doubt I'd feel comfortable towing it at highway speeds with anything less than an HDPP F150. When I think of my X5, my mind just thinks of a Casita or some of the specialty tear-drops.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would NOT do a cross country tour with the X5. You can't add a WD trailer hitch and we had some electrical issues with connection (Suprise-suprise). The X5D has the power all day long, but it was windy drive home and so I took my time. Drive posted speeds on back roads and hills the X5D had zero issues......

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would NOT do a cross country tour with the X5. You can't add a WD trailer hitch and we had some electrical issues with connection (Suprise-suprise). The X5D has the power all day long, but it was windy drive home and so I took my time. Drive posted speeds on back roads and hills the X5D had zero issues......

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If that's the case, the 2011 MY is definitely not designed like the G05 (2019-present). The G05 can be used with a WD hitch. Which could be since the capacity is 6k on the 2011 MY. I recommend calling CanAmRV and speak with them or reach out on the Airstream forum. There are a few active BMW guys (one is towing a jayco 33'): https://www.airforums.com/forums/f23...ml#post2354100

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by smrdc1974 View Post
    I'm sorry to hear it wasn't a more positive experience. I'm guessing a simple frictional anti-sway bar (or two) might help if you elect to keep using the X5. My father has been using those for many years with good success.
    2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L
    2021 Micro Minnie 2100BH

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast