User Tag List

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 bmw x5d

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tow a Coachmen Freedom Express hybrid that is 22 ft long and dry 4500 lbs. Never weighed it but probably right around 5700 lbs and just a hair over the 600 lb tongue weight. Towed it several times with F15 2018 X5d with rear air. It tows it very well and I have traveled all over new england without issue. It too has a unique hitch connection that will not allow for a WDH. My only scary tow with it was the day I brought it home. 300 miles in 25 mph cross winds and the tires were way underinflated. Currently considering the 21BHE and not too worried that the X5 will have any troubles with it.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shnngns View Post
    I tow a Coachmen Freedom Express hybrid that is 22 ft long and dry 4500 lbs. Never weighed it but probably right around 5700 lbs and just a hair over the 600 lb tongue weight. Towed it several times with F15 2018 X5d with rear air. It tows it very well and I have traveled all over new england without issue. It too has a unique hitch connection that will not allow for a WDH. My only scary tow with it was the day I brought it home. 300 miles in 25 mph cross winds and the tires were way underinflated. Currently considering the 21BHE and not too worried that the X5 will have any troubles with it.
    Love the 21BHE and will be going on our first family trip in two weeks. That will be the big test with the family and gear. So you have no other systems other than the OEM hitch?

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by smrdc1974 View Post
    Love the 21BHE and will be going on our first family trip in two weeks. That will be the big test with the family and gear. So you have no other systems other than the OEM hitch?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	f15-class-iii-hitch_4340.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	19.3 KB 
ID:	26637

This is the proper ball to tow up to 6000 lbs. As you can see it is not a square tube with a slide in ball like a normal hitch. They do make a 2" square adapter like a normal hitch, but it is only rated to 3500 lbs. It has a lot to do with the distance the ball is mounted from the car. This one is tight up against the bumper. The BMW website only shows this one with a 2" ball, however they do make a 2 5/16" replacement that bolts on. I also purchase the BMW brake controller for an E70 X5 which also works on the F15. It plugs into a wiring harness in the trunk the the wire gets run up to the controller up front. It integrates with the abs and stability control to prevent sway. I've towed my trailer with a Yukon sans WDH it was very unstable over 60 mph whereas my X5 without WDH is stable over 70 mph. I typically just tow around 65mph and it does great.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3924.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	97.8 KB 
ID:	26638

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does the OEM brake controller not only stop the trailer BUT also applies brakes in such a manner as to reduce sway? I have the Bluetooth curt system that links with my phone. Kinda cool, but it’s Bluetooth and signals can be lost. I need to research more into the brake controller. I need to measure distant from the ball to bumper. Definitely not as close as your set up. Thanks for your pictures. I will send some tomorrow

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I originally had the curt Bluetooth brake controller. It never worked right for me. It was either too aggressive or not working at all. The oem integrates with anti sway feature as well and works great.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I originally had the curt Bluetooth brake controller. It never worked right for me. It was either too aggressive or not working at all. The oem integrates with anti sway feature as well and works great.
    Just a quick side-inquiry: what kind of mileage do you get with the X5d when towing your Freedom Express?
    2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L
    2021 Micro Minnie 2100BH
    previously - Reflection 28BH, Intech Pursue

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by backtrack2015 View Post
    Just a quick side-inquiry: what kind of mileage do you get with the X5d when towing your Freedom Express?
    Usually between 14-16.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's stellar.

Usually between 14-16.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where did you get the controller? My dealer states they have no record of one.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dealers appear to no longer have access to the part. Here is a link to one though https://www.getbmwparts.com/oem-part...er-82110420082

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast