Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 bmw x5d

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2011 bmw x5d

Picking up our first family camper this weekend. We picked out a 2020 GD Imagine XLS 21BHE. Fingers crossed that the rig pull without complications. Ordered a Bluetooth trailer brake and weight distribution system from BlueOx. Any advice ?

Steve

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What our the payload numbers for the BMW and hitch weight for the tt?

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    600 hitch and 6000 tow/payload 1290 lbs... gonna be tight....
    Last edited by smrdc1974; 05-11-2020 at 06:34 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow. That does look like it is going to be VERY tight. Keeping the hitch at 600lb probably is not possible. My wife's daily is a 2014 X5d... I love the engine but I've honestly never considered towing anything "big" with it, mostly due to the unibody construction and the shorter wheelbase (don't want the tail wagging the dog). Let us know how this goes.
    2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L
    2021 Micro Minnie 2100BH
    previously - Reflection 28BH, Intech Pursue

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree, I'm worried towing my not yet received 22mle with my f150 2.7 EB.

Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am hoping that the 3rd model that I have with air bags will keep the four corners planted. I am not worried about power per say with the diesel...

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the rear air springs as well; they should level your X5 under the load. I know the engine is strong... I love the 35d engine. You might search the web for threads that involve other SUVs with the air springs (BMW, Lexus, RAM trucks, etc). There might be some tricks to properly adjusting a weight distributing hitch on vehicles with air suspension. You'll want to ensure you don't take much weight off that front axle or it'll exacerbate the swaying tendencies.

I still don't think that you'll be under 600 lbs on the tongue considering that the trailer itself (dry) is ~450. Add propane to the tanks, add batteries on the tongue, and add your WDH hitch... I'm guessing you're at 600 right there. Then the exterior cargo compartment is at the front as well. Counterbalancing to "game the system" by loading cargo under the rear bunk will diminish stability.
    2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L
    2021 Micro Minnie 2100BH
    previously - Reflection 28BH, Intech Pursue

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pulling it is not the only thing you need to worry about. You also need to carry it (payload) and most importantly, stop it. Safely. You also dont want to damage that nice x5.

Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by smrdc1974 View Post
    Picking up our first family camper this weekend. We picked out a 2020 GD Imagine XLS 21BHE. Fingers crossed that the rig pull without complications. Ordered a Bluetooth trailer brake and weight distribution system from BlueOx. Any advice ?

Steve
    My XLS 17 is sitting just over 500lb tongue and 5550lb with our stuff in it empty tanks. That’s with the blue ox also. We are actually a little light on tongue for the 5500 lb trailer weight, I’m considering running with 1/3 tank of fresh water.

What transmission is in the BMW? I know the X5 with the TT gas the trans was the weak point towing. The rest of the truck handled tongue weight and had plenty of power. That all said, these trailer are high profile, so drag and sway are both factors. I think your tv is on the small side. But, to help just make sure all your tanks are empty. And when traveling put your luggage and stuff in the trailer, distributed evenly for now.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have two kids and a lab. The BMW has 130 000 miles now so the NICE fresh smell is long gone. But, I love the tongue and stopping power of the SUV. We shall see. Obviously, the dealer said I would have no issues.....

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast