User Tag List

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: 2011 bmw x5d

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I responded earlier about my brake controller, but it's not here. I have the Curt Bluetooth one.

I actually traded in my GMC Canyon Duramax for the X5. It's a great truck! I sold my ranch and didn't need a truck and car anymore, so the X5 was the compromise.

I did really want a diesel, but "dieselgate" took care of that. I like the torque of a diesel for towing. I went back and forth between the Range Rover and the BMW, since they did still offer that in diesel. It had horrible lag though.
    Last edited by ADKLover; 05-25-2020 at 06:24 PM. Reason: for more content

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like you've already made that comparison then. Best of luck.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyhighone View Post
    No, I wish, unfortunately, they are not allowed on the Q7, and last I checked, on the X5. If I recall correctly, it's due to the unibody construction. Also, I was forced to have a custom hitch with the dimensions indicated in the owners manual. I didn't want to have an issue, and then get blamed that it was because my hitch was 2" too high, and the resulting leverage damaged something. The biggest thing that helped me was a Trailer Anti-Sway Bar Control Kit, just make sure that it's tightened down just right. And, initially I had the brake controller set too weak, this made me go through some pads on the Q7 sooner than I would have otherwise. Lastly, bring some extra DEF fluid, while towing, I used significantly more than I thought, and the mileage countdown timer goes down like it has leak. It would show me that I have 600-miles remaining, then 50 miles later it would be at 200-miles.

To check my tongue weight, I bought the Sherline LM 2000 - Trailer Tongue Weight Scale 2000lb, and would move some stuff around the trailer to keep the tongue at 640-660lbs
    Correct, Q7 does not allow use of a WD, in addition to what you mention about uni-body it's also how the quattro software controls it's own system and throwing incorrect weight distribution messes with the electronics and will end up damaging that system - We use 2 anti-sway bars. 2017 Q7 factory tow pack 700 tongue and 7700 max tow weight. I am going to have our trailer weighed soon, figure we are pulling about 6300lbs and tonque weight should be about 690/710. Those full propane tanks and batteries @ 63lbs each add up. - we do not carry anything of real weight in the forward storage areas until we are at the camp sight - all that stuff is inside on-top the, or in-between, the axles.
    Mark & Lyne
    2019 Imagine 2250RK
    2017 Audi Q7 Premium Plus with factory tow package - 2 sway controllers
    TT Ready for boondocking with solar installed on roof

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What year BMW X5 do you have? I am using the Curt Bluetooth brake controller also with my X5D.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the 2019 G05

Are you happy with the Curt? I haven't tried it yet.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you using the curt friction sway bars? I was looking into them since I too can not use a WD system on my BMW X5.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can use a WDH on the 2019. I am getting a 600 lb WDH installed today. It's the one the dealer recommended -- e2. It's gotten mixed reviews, so I will see how it goes.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ADKLover View Post
    I can use a WDH on the 2019. I am getting a 600 lb WDH installed today. It's the one the dealer recommended -- e2. It's gotten mixed reviews, so I will see how it goes.
    So... we sold our 35d and now have a 45e (with tow package) on order. I'm curious how you're getting along with your G05 and towing?

It is VERY tempting to sell my F350 right now (prices are quite close to what we paid for it in 2017), especially since the truck only gets used for towing (rarely anymore) and selling it would free up a huge space in the driveway. Since it's generally just me and one of the kids, we can easily keep the X5 within the GVWR. My trailer is ~ 4500 lbs total (fully loaded), 21'11" tip-to-tip (7 feet wide), and has a tongue weight of 550 lbs. All our trips would be local with the X5. All that being said, it's hard to walk away from a towing beast.

I'd appreciate any comments you have about your experience towing with the G05.
    2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L
    2021 Micro Minnie 2100BH
    previously - Reflection 28BH, Intech Pursue

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your trailer is smaller than mine! I towed it from CA to NY with my G05. Overall, it handled very well. There were some challenging winds out west, but the X5 is heavy which helps. I do have an 800 lb WDH. I misspoke on that last post. I think if I decide to do another cross country trip, I will splurge on a ProPride hitch. Short trips are fine with current set up, especially on the east coast.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reviving on old thread. I have a 2020 X5 40i xdrive with air suspension and looking at a 23BHE or 2400BH. Both have the same dry hitch weight, but the later is 500 pounds heavier. I already have the factory tow hitch rated for 7200 pounds. Any updates from those that have posted in this thread?

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast