User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

27bhs GVWR caculations

I am considering purchasing a 27bhs but the one thing that prevents me is the payload capacity. It has a GVWR 7995, UVW 6728, and axle GAWR 4400(8800 total). I assume the 8800 total for the axles should be the true GVWR and that would change the trailer carrying capacity from 1267 lbs to 2072 lbs. Is there a reason for the difference? Are the tires limiting how much the trailer can carry or are my assumptions on how much the axles can carry are wrong?

When you look at the 26rls it has a GVWR of 8495, UVW of 6856, and axles 4400 (8800 total). That permits 1639 lbs of payload which is closer to my preference of at least being able to carry 1500 lbs.

The 27bhs and 26rls are the same length, so I don't understand why they have different payload capacities. I also understand some people will never carry over 1000 lbs, but I prefer 1500 lbs to provide a buffer.

If anyone can explain the correct math behind the numbers above I would appreciate your help.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Found this on another forum. Not sure of its accuracy but seems to make sense.

Axle weights always add up to more than the GVWR. If they didn't it would be very hard to ever load a truck to it's GVWR. You would have to have the load distributed EXACTLY right or you would overload one axle or the other. Just passengers moving around in the cab or changing seats would put you over an axle rating.
    Trucks have many weight rating. Axle, Gross Vehicle, Towing, Gross Combination, etc. They are all somewhat related. When someone says their truck is overloaded that doesn't really tell the story. The question is how is it overloaded?
    Axle weights are ofter partial dependent on the tires installed on that axle.
    On my Chevy dually the RAWR is 8,500 pounds according to the door sticker. According to AAM who made the axle for the truck it is rated for just over 10,000 pounds. My 4 Michelin tires supporting that axle are collectively rated at 9,880 pounds. So, when carrying my truck camper and pulling my boat I have 9,500 pounds on my rear axle. Am I overloaded? According to Michelin no, according to GM yes, according to AAM no, according to the VA DOT maybe (luckily they don't tend to check RVs).
    My truck's GVWR is 11,400. Fully load and ready to camp it weighs 13,500. I'm not over on tire weights, GCWR, hitch weight, towing weight, or axle weight, only GVWR. My license plates are good for 14,000 pounds so I'm fine there. Basically, I'm not overweight in any way except for GVWR.

Clear as mud, right?

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its easy the numbers are all BS. The listed weights are always fantasy numbers. Only real numbers will be on the sticker on the actual trailer. From my experience the numbers are a few hundred pounds to 500# plus off depending on trailer. No way can you go by the listed numbers if you are even close to your weight limits for tow vehicle. I guarantee you will be over your limits when you actually weigh it.