User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

8 foot privacy fence questions, please and thankyou...

Building an 8 ft wooden privacy fence. With lots of large oaks where I’ll be putting posts, I will have a hard time keeping the distance (8 ft.) between posts consistent. Would there be a problem putting the rails over each other to secure to the post when The distance is less than 8 feet. But still keeping the rails level?

i also am planning to do this 8 ft tall fence on 4 x 6 x 12 pressure treated? With 4 feet in the ground and 8 above. The pickets will be 6 foot in length placed Vertically at the top of the 8 foot rails, with 2 Foot open below and at backs up to a retaining wall and 8 ft pickets are not easily attainable.

Permitting and zoning is not an issue. Thanks, for your constructive replies on these questions. Tomm
    Lakeland FL.
    2016 1500 Ram Crew
    2019- imagine-2150RB

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Raising cattle, I have built a lot of fence.

Standard lumber yard treated is mostly garbage. Make sure anything you get is labeled for ground contact, or better yet agricultural use.

Is your terrain flat enough to put all the rails level? Normally a fence generally follows the ground to avoid excessive gaps.

The two foot gap under the fence will have the effect of accelerating wind hitting the fence. If you are too close to it that could be unpleasant. Or good, depending on the weather.

It’s normal for the rails to butt at the posts. If not level or even length, make a plumb mark and cut the ends plumb at the center of the post. I prefer to use 16ft rails and stagger the rails so each post has one rail that isn’t spliced there.

Be sure to call for utility location if you aren’t certain it is clear.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the reply. Lumber is labeled ground contact. Nice and flat 175 ft. This will be in the back of our property to block new subdivision behind us. The rails will be leveled butt wish to put rail over the whole face of the past, thus one over one under one over one under, making easier install with oak roots and rail distancing. No utilities behind house in this location. Thanks
    Lakeland FL.
    2016 1500 Ram Crew
    2019- imagine-2150RB