User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bad Ford Trailer TPMS sensor?

I have a 2020 F-350 and bought a 2017-19 trailer camera/TPMS kit (2020 kits aren't readily available). I also got the larger Nichols valve stems and had those, along with the Ford TPMS sensors installed on my trailer tires. I then purchased the Nichols 2020 Ford harness so I can use my yaw sensor, TPMS and camera at the same time from the single 12 pin plug in my truck. Next, I had to use Forscan to get my danged truck to recognize the trailer TPMS module. So far, so good!

So, I finally have everything in place to get my truck to learn the TPMS sensors on my 5th wheel. With my 2019 truck and RV, this took 5 minutes. Let air out of the indicated tire, wait for honk, move to next tire. Rinse and repeat. No luck with this new truck. Tried it 20 times and gave up. I then purchased the Ford TPMS learning tool on Amazon with high hopes of success and getting this ridiculously lengthy process behind me. It worked on the first tire! I then moved to the second tire and that worked! WhooHoo! 3rd tire? No dice. I started over ten times and eventually used the tool on tires "out of order" just to see if the 3rd and 4th TPMS sensors worked. They did. After another hour of screwing around tire #2 would no longer activate. All the others worked fine.

I plan to bring the #2 tire to the Ford dealer tomorrow with low expectations that they will be able to help me - or even understand what I'm asking them to do.

So my question to anybody here who might know something about the Ford TPMS sensors - do you think the sensor was installed incorrectly in the tire or is the sensor bad or is the battery in the sensor dead?
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post
    I have a 2020 F-350 and bought a 2017-19 trailer camera/TPMS kit (2020 kits aren't readily available). I also got the larger Nichols valve stems and had those, along with the Ford TPMS sensors installed on my trailer tires. I then purchased the Nichols 2020 Ford harness so I can use my yaw sensor, TPMS and camera at the same time from the single 12 pin plug in my truck. Next, I had to use Forscan to get my danged truck to recognize the trailer TPMS module. So far, so good!

So, I finally have everything in place to get my truck to learn the TPMS sensors on my 5th wheel. With my 2019 truck and RV, this took 5 minutes. Let air out of the indicated tire, wait for honk, move to next tire. Rinse and repeat. No luck with this new truck. Tried it 20 times and gave up. I then purchased the Ford TPMS learning tool on Amazon with high hopes of success and getting this ridiculously lengthy process behind me. It worked on the first tire! I then moved to the second tire and that worked! WhooHoo! 3rd tire? No dice. I started over ten times and eventually used the tool on tires "out of order" just to see if the 3rd and 4th TPMS sensors worked. They did. After another hour of screwing around tire #2 would no longer activate. All the others worked fine.

I plan to bring the #2 tire to the Ford dealer tomorrow with low expectations that they will be able to help me - or even understand what I'm asking them to do.

So my question to anybody here who might know something about the Ford TPMS sensors - do you think the sensor was installed incorrectly in the tire or is the sensor bad or is the battery in the sensor dead?
    If Ford cant help you try Discount tire. While chatting with them a while back (pre covid) they seemed to be very knowledgeable on TPMS systems. I was talking about my new Ford truck I was planning to buy and the Ford trailer TPMS option. Was told is was OK like most of the others out there and they they could set it up for me.

Just thinking out loud here.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The batteries are not replaceable, but should last 5 to 10 years according to Ford. So they should still be good. Could the sensor(s) have been damaged during installation? A Ford dealership or any tire place (I like my local Discount tire) should be able to test and see if the TPMS sensor is transmitting (as well as activate it). I assume the TPMS sensors are all mounted and inside the tires. Did you happen to verify that they were all the same part number (the Ford trailer TPMS are different then the standard one FORD uses on the trucks) and what the date codes were before mounting? A little hard to see once they are mounted up . It could be just a bad sensor.

Good luck and let us know what you find out.

Chris
    Last edited by CoChris; 05-14-2020 at 03:31 PM.
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CoChris View Post
    Could the sensor(s) have been damaged during installation? A Ford dealership or any tire place (I like my local Discount tire) should be able to test and see if the TPMS sensor is transmitting (as well as activate it). I assume the TPMS sensors are all mounted and inside the tires. Did you happen to verify that they were all the same part number (the Ford trailer TPMS are different then the standard one FORD uses on the trucks) and what the date codes were before mounting?
    Hi Chris

Yes, it's possible the sensor could have been damaged. I had Les Schwab Tires install the sensors so anything is possible. I did verify they were all the same part# when I put them on the larger Nichols valve stems. I think the date codes were 2018. Not sure about that. The sensors came in the Ford trailer camera/TPMS kit that was also date stamped from summer 2018.

I dropped the #2 (front/passenger) tire off at the Ford dealership early this morning. It took ten minutes to teach the manager about the Ford trailer TPMS system but once he understood, he brought in one of his techs that actually knew what I was talking about. He said he would work on the tire as soon as he finished the car he was working on. Four hours later I called to ask what they learned. They still hadn't got to it. An hour after that he called to say they ordered a new sensor which will be in tomorrow. So, hopefully I'll know tomorrow if the new sensor works and I can complete the trailer TPMS setup.

Sorry for the lengthy reply. I actually left out 75% of the details :-(
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...... It took ten minutes to teach the manager about the Ford trailer TPMS system but once he understood, he brought in one of his techs that actually knew what I was talking about. ...... An hour after that he called to say they ordered a new sensor which will be in tomorrow. So, hopefully I'll know tomorrow if the new sensor works and I can complete the trailer TPMS setup.

Sorry for the lengthy reply. I actually left out 75% of the details :-(
    It just amazes me that we the customer have to educate the dealers on so much . I have been down the same path many times (with varying results). But the good news is they (hopefully found the problem) and the new TPMS will fix it. Keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update:

I was finally able to get my Ford dealer to replace the TPMS sensor in my one tire that my truck wouldn't recognize during the trailer TPMS setup. Once I mounted the wheel it took about 15 seconds to complete the trailer TPMS setup. I asked the Ford guy if the sensor was bad. He said he didn't know. Told me to bring the tire back if it didn't work. I'm so glad it worked!
    Brian & Kellie

Previous setups:

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update:

I was finally able to get my Ford dealer to replace the TPMS sensor in my one tire that my truck wouldn't recognize during the trailer TPMS setup. Once I mounted the wheel it took about 15 seconds to complete the trailer TPMS setup. I asked the Ford guy if the sensor was bad. He said he didn't know. Told me to bring the tire back if it didn't work. I'm so glad it worked!
    YEA! Glad you got it working. It was just a bad sensor for the git-go.

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    YEA! Glad you got it working. It was just a bad sensor for the git-go.
    Thanks for recommending that TPMS-19 tool Chris. WAY better than letting air out of the tires during the learning process. I should have timed myself because I really think it was less than 15 seconds start to finish. Of course, by this time, I had probably done 30 failed attempts so I knew the drill.
    Brian & Kellie

Previous setups:

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for recommending that TPMS-19 tool Chris. WAY better than letting air out of the tires during the learning process. I should have timed myself because I really think it was less than 15 seconds start to finish. Of course, by this time, I had probably done 30 failed attempts so I knew the drill.
    You are welcome. I often learn things the hard way, so when I do figure it out I try and pass it along. And, I have learned so much here on the forums I try to help out when I can. But I have to say, I think it takes me more than 15 seconds to walk ALL the way around the truck and trailer AND bend down 4 times

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But I have to say, I think it takes me more than 15 seconds to walk ALL the way around the truck and trailer AND bend down 4 times
    Oh, I wasn't walking. I was so excited that tire worked, I was running. Plus, I didn't have to walk around the truck. I didn't have the truck hitched to the RV. I had a gap between the truck and RV so I took that shortcut going from tire #1 to tire #2 :-)
    Brian & Kellie

Previous setups: