User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    agoutdoors

Axle Broke Loose - BRAND NEW 5th WHEEL

We recently purchased a Momentum 385TH (November 2014) and haven't used it as we are waiting for some items to be fixed at the dealership. I attempted to take it to the dealership on Friday and just down the road from my house the rear axle broke free from the mounts and wedged itself at the back of the leaf springs sending my rig off to the side of the road. Luckily I was only going about 5 MPH on the road (more of a long driveway).

I was stuck, blocking the road to all my neighbors houses.

I called the local dealership to report it (they are new and still building their location) and figure out how it was going to be resolved. Needless to say they were like deer in the headlights...

Long story short - after a couple hours sitting there, the mechanic and I removed the rear set of tires and read axle, and were able to limp the rig off the 1 lane road and park at a strangers house down the road (luckily I have some nice people that live around me). No one within 30 miles had the correct size U-bolts (which were all bent), so our brand new 385TH is stuck in someone else's driveway (wish I was there when the guy's wife came home to a new 5th wheel sitting in the driveway!)Attachment 1221Attachment 1222

Who knows what kind of damage was done by moving a 15,500lb rig on a single 8,000lb axle...

When the mechanic removed the nuts on the u-bots, he said they were very easy to remove - maybe not tightened correctly. He did go ahead and tighten the other axle's U-bolt nuts to be sure.

Our rig was manufactured sometime between August and October 2014, so if you also have a new one you may want to have the dealership check the U-bolts and nuts to make sure they are tightened correctly.

Looking at the damage to ours, we are going to need new axles, U-bolts, 1 drum/brake hub, leaf springs, mounting bolts, electrical lines to brakes, etc... Hopefully it doesn't take them too long to get the parts in - I will update this as I learn more.

I did receive a phone call from one of the guy's in the service department at Granddesign, so at least they were made aware of the situation and wanted to hear directly from me.

I look forward to actually staying a night in our new 5th wheel...

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agoutdoors, I am sorry to hear of your situation, but love your positive attitude and even sense of humor (neighbors wife coming home...). That's just funny to think of her reaction.
    I hope all is resolved soon, and thank you for the heads up.
    Scott and Jan Platt Ocala, FL
    Cameron(Son) & Chica(chihuahua)
    2014 Reflection 337RLS
    2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD 4X4, Crew Cab, Dually, Diesel
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    agoutdoors what part of Washington are you from
    John & Caren
    2014 Solitude 369RL #331
    2005 Dodge 3500 Quad Cab Cummins & manual 6 speed

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It could have been MUCH worse. Thank God you weren't driving down the road at 65mph. Who knows what may have happened to you or those around you. I'm very glad to hear you were safe, and wish you good luck in getting it back on the road quickly. When I get my reflection back from the factory, you can bet that I'll check the torque on those bolts ASAP.

Jim

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    agoutdoors,

Your post just went to the top of everyone's tracking list.
    Please keep us posted on how this gets resolved.

Thanks
    Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you have the recall done on the shackle bolts?? There is a recall on the 2 axle set up....

If the dealer DID the recall before you took delivery, then they may not have tightened everything correctly.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought by November the 385 and 380 were already using 3 axles. Maybe it was during the transition.

Regards,

AJ

2015 FORD F450 Lariat Ultimate
    2012 HD RoadGlide Ultra
    2015 GD Momentum 350M

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by roadkingfl View Post
    I thought by November the 385 and 380 were already using 3 axles. Maybe it was during the transition.
    Was probably on the dealer's lot.

We still have 2- 380's and a 385 on the lot with 2 axles.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

thompsjk
    Mine was built May of 2014 and I was told that it did not fall into the bolt recall that it was earlier models that needed the recall done. Agoutdoors was built after mine so it should not need the recall if I was given the correct information. This makes me question even more why they switched to 3 axles on the newer ones. Something like this could be deadly on the Hwy at higher speeds.

agoutdoors
    Quote Originally Posted by huntr70 View Post
    Did you have the recall done on the shackle bolts?? There is a recall on the 2 axle set up....

If the dealer DID the recall before you took delivery, then they may not have tightened everything correctly.
    As far as I have read on the internet, this rig was manufactured well after the dates shown on the recall - so it shouldn't been involved but I have posed the question at least to GD.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast