User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I added the Ford OEM brake controller. On my last truck the gain was defaulted at 5. Should be left at that and add 2 to bring it to 7 when going down a big hill? How do you know when the brake controller is properly setup?

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lots of good reading here and good advice. It has put some questions & thoughts into my mind...

1. Does and F-150 have an "exhaust brake" (quotes because it is sometimes referred to as an engine brake - and I don't care to get in a discussion about which is correct - just wondering if the F-150 has some kind of engine/exhast brake maybe like the Super Duty trucks).
    2. My truck vehamently protests when I forget and leave 4x4 mode on and drive back onto pavement from dirt roads. LOTS of wheel hopping and chatter when turning on pavement. So... I don't (intentionally) leave it in 4x4 on pavement. And I am pretty sure my owner's manual says not to do that.
    3. This is a pretty good reference for towing with 2019 Fords.... 2019 Ford RV and Trailer Towing Guide
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    Lots of good reading here and good advice. It has put some questions & thoughts into my mind...

1. Does and F-150 have an "exhaust brake" (quotes because it is sometimes referred to as an engine brake - and I don't care to get in a discussion about which is correct - just wondering if the F-150 has some kind of engine/exhast brake maybe like the Super Duty trucks).
    2. My truck vehamently protests when I forget and leave 4x4 mode on and drive back onto pavement from dirt roads. LOTS of wheel hopping and chatter when turning on pavement. So... I don't (intentionally) leave it in 4x4 on pavement. And I am pretty sure my owner's manual says not to do that.
    3. This is a pretty good reference for towing with 2019 Fords.... 2019 Ford RV and Trailer Towing Guide
    1. Yes but because it's just a 2.7L there's only a little affect. Certainly not as much as my 5.4L
    2. All of my trucks did this. No need for a warning light to come on, the hopping is a good reminder. Lol
    3. I got most of my numbers from that paper.
    Thanks

Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Exhaust brakes; I believe they only come on trucks with diesel engines - may be wrong.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It maybe not be the same thing on gas trucks, but mine simply keeps it in gear and let's the rpm go up or it down shifts to increase the rpms.

Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like to see my transmission temperature below 200 on steep grades. It can go higher for a short period of time but sustained temp of 250 hurts the fluid. Hot weather pulling in flat country it stays between 160/180. Experiment with your truck and see what driving changes or gear selections you can make to get the temperatures down. It's a good idea to change the fluid at least every 50k miles or check your owners manual recommendation.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Something you can do especially if you are near the 50k mile mark is change your trans fluid. Have the pan dropped to get as much fluid out as you can and have the filter replaced. Very important is use full synthetic fluid. The trans will last longer and will tolerate more heat.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Advise needed when approaching a steep hill climb

Quote Originally Posted by Likes to tow View Post
    I like to see my transmission temperature below 200 on steep grades. It can go higher for a short period of time but sustained temp of 250 hurts the fluid. Hot weather pulling in flat country it stays between 160/180. Experiment with your truck and see what driving changes or gear selections you can make to get the temperatures down. It's a good idea to change the fluid at least every 50k miles or check your owners manual recommendation.
    Below 200 while towing up steep grades?

You must have a better transmission than we have!

Our runs at 190 not towing. We generally fluctuate between 200 and 235 towing in the mountains.
    We have 145k on the odometer though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From what I have read you want to keep the temp below 240. If it's getting uo to 240 you might want to do something to get it back down. When you get to 240 you are starting to destroy the seals in the trans.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post

The F150 does not have an exhaust brake.

It does have the ability to use the engine compression to slow the vehicle by shifting to a lower gear, like every combustion powered vehicle. Many call this engine braking.

I get that you want to stay on topic, but sometimes words do matter and they are completely different things involving additional parts. So no, you don’t have one. Neither do all of the Super Duty’s. An exhaust brake does make a big difference vs just engine braking.

Also notable is the towing guide, great addition to this thread. Have seen some posts about adding tbc, etc. Great addition imo! it’s important to note that if an F150 does not come with a trailer tow package (not just the class IV hitch) from the factory, it is missing components and the tow rating is therefore reduced. Detailed in the linked towing guide. Depending on the year the limits are different. Primarily cooling related.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast