User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 317 Second A/C

LA5ver

317 Second A/C

I am getting ready to place my order for a new 317RST and would like to know any 317/337 owner's thoughts on the need for the second A/C unit in the bedroom. The area rep for the south-east told me that at 34'11" and living in southern Alabama we are on the edge as far as needing the second A/C. We plan to spend a lot of time in south Florida and am wondering if anyone has experience spending the summer months with or without the second A/C. Thanks.

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Mike and Peggy. We didn't get the second AC on our rig. When we were in New Orleans and Houston last summer, we wish we'd had it. We were able to work it out by closing the vents and doors to the bathroom and bedroom during the day. That kept the AC pumping in the living room. Then as soon as the sun went down, we'd open the vents back up in the bedroom so it was cool enough to sleep.

We promised ourselves to stay away from hot and humid areas from now on. If we lived where you do, we wouldn't think twice about the second AC. The biggest drawback I see is the added height of the rig. This summer, we'll spend our time in the Rockies and shouldn't need to worry about it.

Did you order dual pane windows on your rig. We did, and they make quite a bit of difference with heat and cold management.

LA5ver
    Thanks for the quick response. I think you made up my mind for me. Regarding our question, no, we won't be ordering the dual pane widows. I just posted a question about the size of the TV folks are installing in the bedroom. I think your 337 has about the same size bedroom as the 317. What size TV did you install in the bedroom? Thanks again.

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    We elected to not put one there. We might in the future though.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mike & Peggy --

We have a 2014 337 and just use a 19" TV on top of the dresser in the bedroom. Honestly though, we rarely use it.

I too have only 1 AC and it has been fine, although I have not been in a climate to really test it.
    If you are going to be in South Florida in the summer, you will probably need it. But it can always be added later.

K
    Ken & Wilma
    Central Maryland
    2014 Reflection 337RLS #439
    2011 F250 CC 4x4

Tileguy
    We purchased a 323 bhs in November and had the dealer install the second ac. Our friends have a 337 with the single ac unit, they are going to add the second unit this spring. They said last summer when the temperature reached the mid 90's their unit was around 78 inside. We are located in North Alabama.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a 337 and live in Hot, Humid, central FL. Only have single a/c. Memorial day was miserably hot last year, a/c couldn't keep up at all - but the day we got back I read the post about the baffle inside a/c coming loose. Sure enough ours was, fixed that and a/c was alot better the rest of the summer. We still plan on adding the second unit though, just because we like it really cold. Figured 2 is better than 1, and less wear and tear on single unit.
    Scott and Jan Platt Ocala, FL
    Cameron(Son) & Chica(chihuahua)
    2014 Reflection 337RLS
    2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD 4X4, Crew Cab, Dually, Diesel
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It kinda depends on the application. Like TusconJim said. He is staying away from hot and humid areas. And as for the double pane windows? I think the same probably applies. We live in Texas and had I known that double pane windows and heat pumps were an option we would've had them installed. IMHO, two AC's are a must in the South but we were in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan last Summer and we were very happy we had the ducted dual AC.
    Dean and Cindy
    2014 337 RLS
    Firestone Ride - Rite Airbags
    Ford F-250 6.7 Diesel

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    The addition of the B/R A/C was one of the motivating factors for us to upgrade our only 4 year old trailer. We made a huge mistake when we bought our Cougar in only getting a 30 amp trailer with one A/C. We spent a few summers unhappy as the single unit just could not keep up. We ordered our 2015 with the second unit and we are so please we did. No more worries for us. We are also adding an on board gen set for our travels so we can just pull over, push a button and have the A/C for our dog when we are off doing tourist stuff or stopping for lunch or dry camping and want some A/C or to charge our batteries. The generator may be a bit over the top as we have 2 - 2000 watt Hondas but I really thing the second A/C is money well spent.
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

LA5ver
    We went ahead and placed the order for the 317 yesterday. We did get it with the second A/C. Thanks to everyone who provided their input.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast