Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Rear camera

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rear camera

We recently purchased a new 2015 369RL. I see something high on the outside rear where a rear view camera would be mounted. I have heard that this RV has been prewired for a camera. Does anyone understand how this works? Would this just be a power supply for a wireless camera?

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum Jfelliott and congratulations on your new Solitude. The area you are talking about is wired for and supported for mounting a rear view camera.

Steve

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there a special camera required or will any rear view camera work? If it's special, where do we buy one?
    2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, 2 Yorkies, and my wife MARILYN, HAM call K0LCB. Traveling around this great country, making friends and seeing lot of beautiful and interesting places

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 40' 5th wheel prewired for the Furrion camera, I have a 22' truck, so we are talking from rear of camper to cab of truck a distance of about 50'. When I installed the camera, the signal is so weak that the only way I was able to catch signal to the camera was when I was in the back garage of the unit. Also the picture quality is so poor that I just don't see $400 for this unit. It's more on the lines of a $50 unit. But I guess since Grand Deaign put that mount there, Furrion basically has a monopoly on what camera goes there...theirs!!! That's been my experience with this unit.

Oh and the customer service has been non existent when I called about this issue. I still have never gotten a call back, this has been about a month ago when I left the message. Course it doesn't matter, I returned the camera that same day as it wasn't working for me.
    Stephen & Nikki

2013 Ford F-250 SRW w/Firestone Ride Rite Airbags, B&W Companion Hitch,
    Titan XXL 50 Gallon Mid-Ship Fuel Tank and Viair Onboard Air.
    2015 Grand Design Momentum 350M
    2009 Club Car Golf Cart
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If GD & Furrion have "pre-wired" for a wireless camera, all they have likely provided is a 12 V feed.
    If this is true, any wireless camera could be powered from this feed.
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

robthryphil
    I ordered the Voyager Digital Wireless Backup Camera from the GD factory for my Momentum. It uses a digital signal rather then analog and I have no complaints about the reception. Occasionally I lose video while traveling down the road, but not long and the video is very clear. The camera was mounted on the back edge of the roof top which became a problem when I keep breaking the antenna off the camera. The camera should have been mount on the rear wall surface protecting it from all debris. I called there tech support and the were helpful by recommending an antenna with a 6 foot extended cable on it. No problems since.