User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What and how to measure when going to scale?

Hi all, there's a scale on our way to our first shakedown trip that I plan to stop at to get some real numbers. I plan on loading as if we're going on a long trip. Food, close, full LP tanks, full water tank.... I'm thinking of driving on with and without the TT. This should give me my total combined weight, TV total weight and TT total weight.
    Is there something else I could do or do different? Is there a way to measure tongue weight while I'm there? Thanks again all.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good start, be fueled up in truck also.
    A CAT scale will measure 3 axle weights at once. Separate the TV and re weigh will allow you to know the tongue weight of trailer, then you know how well you balanced your TT.
    Bob and Cheryl, Puka the doodle
    2018 Ram 2500 Crew,Diesel,4x4
    2016 Reflection 27RL
    2012 Palomino 6.5 camper

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynot4me2 View Post
    Hi all, there's a scale on our way to our first shakedown trip that I plan to stop at to get some real numbers. I plan on loading as if we're going on a long trip. Food, close, full LP tanks, full water tank.... I'm thinking of driving on with and without the TT. This should give me my total combined weight, TV total weight and TT total weight.
    Is there something else I could do or do different? Is there a way to measure tongue weight while I'm there? Thanks again all.

If you belong to Escapees, they offer SmartWeigh. We had that done. They weigh each tire on the truck and rig (weight pad under each tire). And then you unhitch and the weigh each tire on the truck. They also measure the rig on all 4 corners when hitched, so you get your actual towing height.

We had to be loaded for travel, including full fresh water.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BreakfastinAmerica View Post
    Good start, be fueled up in truck also.
    A CAT scale will measure 3 axle weights at once. Separate the TV and re weigh will allow you to know the tongue weight of trailer, then you know how well you balanced your TT.
    How will I know the tongue weight? Just asking since I'm new at this and that's a figure I want to know but dont really know how except for that home made human measuring scale?

Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynot4me2 View Post
    How will I know the tongue weight? Just asking since I'm new at this and that's a figure I want to know but dont really know how except for that home made human measuring scale?

If it is a commercial scale (like a CAT brand), it will weigh three axles at the same time. Go across the scales twice. Once with the truck and trailer connected. You will get four weights, the front truck axle, the rear truck axle, the trailer axle weights and the total weight for both truck & trailer. Disconnect the trailer in a safe area and reweigh just the truck (everything the same except no trailer). You will get three weights. The truck front axle, the truck rear axle and the truck total (without trailer) weight. All the CAT scale I have used are used to this. It seems funny (and a little intimidating) to be in line with a bunch of semis, but that is fine. That is what they are for. Just make sure you do not park on or block the the scales. Park in the parking area and go inside to get your weight slip (and pay).

If it is a single platform scale (like at a landscape supply, grange or a highway weight check (port of entry), they usually have an outside display you can see from the truck. Pull on the scales with just the front wheels. Get a reading. Pull on further with the truck front & rear wheels. Get a reading. The difference is the rear axle weight. Pull on all of the truck and trailer. Get a reading. Different is the trailer axle weight. I like to do the same going off. Drive forward until the front axle is off the scale. Get a reading. Drive further forward until the truck front and rear axles are off the scale. The remainder is the trailer axle weight. Unhitch the trailer and repeat the process with just the truck. Get front axle, truck total and truck rear axle weights. Try to find a time when the scales are not busy or better yet, not in use.

I takes longer to write/read the description then it does to actual get the weights. Be sure to stop and let the scale stabilize for each reading. Most scales will have a 25, 50 or 100# resolution (i.e you will not get a reading of 3,456#. It would be 3,450 or 3,500#).

(Total weight of the truck (front + rear axle) with trailer) - (total weight of the truck (front + rear axle) w/o trailer) = tongue weight

You will also want to compare your front axle weight with and without the trailer connected. I think most people use the weight distributing hitch (i.e. the torsion bar adjustment) to try and keep about the same weight on the front axle. Also check the total weight on both truck axles against the Gross Axle Weight Rating (on white sticker on the drivers door jamb). You can check the weight on the trailer axles and the total trailer weight (total weight truck & trailer - total weight of the truck) against your trailer weight ratings. Lots of good info from two simple weights and a little math.

Chris
    Last edited by CoChris; 05-17-2020 at 11:41 PM.
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Above advise is right on the money. I have also split my trailer axles on two different sections of a CAT scale, not perfect but you kind of get close to single axle weight. I had a problem with one axle and needed that. The Smartweigh is a really good thing to do, if you can find one.

If you download the "Weigh My Truck" app from CAT scales and set it up you don't even have to go inside, you can weigh and re-weigh using your phone.

RV'ers and truckers. I used to be really intimidated at truck stops. Granted my 5th wheel is nearly as big as tractor trailer rigs when I am hooked up. So I chatted truckers up along the way and asked them how they feel about RV's. Most liked them. They like looking at them and dreaming about maybe someday doing the same things. Like all things human, you may run across a grouchy trucker some day, but that is the exception, not the norm.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by D2Reid View Post

If you download the "Weigh My Truck" app from CAT scales and set it up you don't even have to go inside, you can weigh and re-weigh using your phone.
    This! Do this for sure! It’s super easy to use.

Download the app and I think you have to register (create a user name and password) just like anything else, add payment info so you never have to get out.

I’ve only used a CAT scale once right after I purchased my truck, I filled up with full diesel and DEF and weighed my truck so I had a good baseline for the future. The first time was a little intimidating because I didn’t want to be in anyone’s way but with the app it was really easy.

Check out this YouTube vid too, this guy walks through the process so you know exactly what to expect and also how to fill out the app (there are some fields that are irrelevant).

https://youtu.be/dGh0fkDPats

I hope this helps!
    2021 Momentum 381M (Ordered 3/6/2020, Delivered 8/27/2020)
    -- Full Body Paint, MORryde IS 7k w/ disc brakes, Gen-Y Gooseneck conversion, 3 AC, Heat Pump, Dual Pane Windows, Slide Toppers, Residential Fridge

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you plug your tow vehicle details into this website, it will show your towing specs and detail how you calculate your weights. Check the numbers they give you for your tow vehicle to make sure you agree with them....https://www.bwtrailerhitches.com/towing-help-bumper
    Buckaroo
    2020 Imagine 2670MK
    2017 Tundra DC 4WD TRD

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used this travel trailer weight calculator. You need to get 3 separate weights, plug your numbers in and it'll calculate your results. Defiantly get the Cat Scale app. Makes for using a cat scale super easy since you don't have to go inside.

http://www.towingplanner.com/ActualW...ailerCatScales
    Charles and Susan
    2021 Ram 3500 Laramie, 6.4 Hemi, 4x4 CCSB
    2021 337rls w/ Andersen hitch.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, you need to weigh 3 times. Just the truck, the truck and trailer with weight distribution, truck and trailer without weight distribution. Once you have all those weights you can figure out your tongue weight and if you are putting enough weight back on your front axle with the weight distributing hitch. And you can see if you have the proper percentage of tongue weight.
    Last edited by 315RLTSinPA; 05-29-2020 at 03:39 PM.
    2018 Reflection 315RLTS
    2023 F350 Lariat 6.7L/CC/LB/FX4

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast