User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CoChris View Post
    If it is a commercial scale (like a CAT brand), it will weigh three axles at the same time. Go across the scales twice. Once with the truck and trailer connected. You will get four weights, the front truck axle, the rear truck axle, the trailer axle weights and the total weight for both truck & trailer. Disconnect the trailer in a safe area and reweigh just the truck (everything the same except no trailer). You will get three weights. The truck front axle, the truck rear axle and the truck total (without trailer) weight. All the CAT scale I have used are used to this. It seems funny (and a little intimidating) to be in line with a bunch of semis, but that is fine. That is what they are for. Just make sure you do not park on or block the the scales. Park in the parking area and go inside to get your weight slip (and pay).

If it is a single platform scale (like at a landscape supply, grange or a highway weight check (port of entry), they usually have an outside display you can see from the truck. Pull on the scales with just the front wheels. Get a reading. Pull on further with the truck front & rear wheels. Get a reading. The difference is the rear axle weight. Pull on all of the truck and trailer. Get a reading. Different is the trailer axle weight. I like to do the same going off. Drive forward until the front axle is off the scale. Get a reading. Drive further forward until the truck front and rear axles are off the scale. The remainder is the trailer axle weight. Unhitch the trailer and repeat the process with just the truck. Get front axle, truck total and truck rear axle weights. Try to find a time when the scales are not busy or better yet, not in use.

I takes longer to write/read the description then it does to actual get the weights. Be sure to stop and let the scale stabilize for each reading. Most scales will have a 25, 50 or 100# resolution (i.e you will not get a reading of 3,456#. It would be 3,450 or 3,500#).

(Total weight of the truck (front + rear axle) with trailer) - (total weight of the truck (front + rear axle) w/o trailer) = tongue weight

You will also want to compare your front axle weight with and without the trailer connected. I think most people use the weight distributing hitch (i.e. the torsion bar adjustment) to try and keep about the same weight on the front axle. Also check the total weight on both truck axles against the Gross Axle Weight Rating (on white sticker on the drivers door jamb). You can check the weight on the trailer axles and the total trailer weight (total weight truck & trailer - total weight of the truck) against your trailer weight ratings. Lots of good info from two simple weights and a little math.

Chris
    Quote Originally Posted by D2Reid View Post
    Above advise is right on the money. I have also split my trailer axles on two different sections of a CAT scale, not perfect but you kind of get close to single axle weight. I had a problem with one axle and needed that. The Smartweigh is a really good thing to do, if you can find one.

If you download the "Weigh My Truck" app from CAT scales and set it up you don't even have to go inside, you can weigh and re-weigh using your phone.

RV'ers and truckers. I used to be really intimidated at truck stops. Granted my 5th wheel is nearly as big as tractor trailer rigs when I am hooked up. So I chatted truckers up along the way and asked them how they feel about RV's. Most liked them. They like looking at them and dreaming about maybe someday doing the same things. Like all things human, you may run across a grouchy trucker some day, but that is the exception, not the norm.
    I'm new to CAT scales as well. Is there a place to usually park the RV out of the weigh to re-weigh the truck? If you have your weight distribution hitch set up correctly and the trailer is level, should the front axle of the truck be similar in weight as to when the trailer wasn't connected? I am a little intimidated by having a line of semi's in front or behind me. I'll have to get the app. Do you drive across then pull over and use the app to pay? Thanks.
    2020 Imagine Mk2670
    Tow vehicle - 2020 Chevy Silverado 2500 6.6L Gas

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Then another 8k in the Banks set up !

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When doing the 3 weigh process, make your first weigh ticket the truck and trailer WITH the weight distribution hitch tightened up as you think it should be. If there is no one behind you, do not move the truck and trailer off the scale....just release the tension of the spring bars of the weight distribution hitch completely....you DO NOT have to remove them, just totally loosen them so there is no tension on them. Press the button and tell the clerk you want a re-weigh. Once that is done, you can drive off the scales....or tension the bars back up and drive off the scales and find a place to drop the trailer. Once that is done, drive the truck back onto the scales and tell them you want another re-weigh (truck only) and make sure that if you have a passenger or passengers, they stay in the vehicle for all three weights. The idea is to keep everything the same. Then, when you get home, go to this website ..... https://fifthwheelst.com/ Once you are at that site, click on the "4 Step Weight Safety Plan"..at the top of page. Start with step one...and MAKE SURE that you download the correct work sheet.....there are two different one.....One for 5th wheel trailer and ONE for travel trailers. Follow the instruction on that page and before you know it, you will have exactly what you need and want to know about your truck/trailer/tongue weight, etc.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisopy View Post
    I'm new to CAT scales as well. Is there a place to usually park the RV out of the weigh to re-weigh the truck?
    Yes. All of the Cat scales I have been to are in the same parking lot/area as a truck stop. You will be parking among the semis. Usually lots of room.

If you have your weight distribution hitch set up correctly and the trailer is level, should the front axle of the truck be similar in weight as to when the trailer wasn't connected?
    Sorry, I have 5er and no experience with WDH.

I am a little intimidated by having a line of semi's in front or behind me.
    Do not be intimidated. Just take your time, but do not block anyone. You have a much right to use the scales and parking as the trucks do. Most of the truckers are friendly.

I'll have to get the app. Do you drive across then pull over and use the app to pay? Thanks.
    Sorry, I am no help as I have not used the app.

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Usually truck stops have the least amount of traffic during the middle of the day. Get the Cat Scale app so you don't have to go inside to get your weights.
    Charles and Susan
    2021 Ram 3500 Laramie, 6.4 Hemi, 4x4 CCSB
    2021 337rls w/ Andersen hitch.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Went the a Cat scale last Friday and we were alone, which was great. Used the online app whi h was also great.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12