User Tag List

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A heartfelt explanation and reasons why

I read this and thought to myself why this hasn't been a dedicated message centralized message all along.
    Wait to watch the video after you have read the essay, it has changed three times since I first read this. Read it through and decide for yourself.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/17/healt...say/index.html

To the moderators if there is even a hint this begets a political discussion I will ask the thread be removed.
    Last edited by Wicked ace; 05-17-2020 at 11:06 AM.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will admit I did read the essay, but I didn't watch the video. I would respectfully disagree with the good Doctor. I don't see the country as one patient, but more as multiple patients. Some patients (regions or states) are responding differently than others and it is my belief that the treatment needs to be more tailored to the individual patients response. As an example, lets look at Nevada vr New York. We both initially received the same treatment of (using his analogy) antibiotics in the form of lockdowns, social distancing, etc... Yet Nevada seems to have responded much better to the treatment than say New York. The initial dose and duration of antibiotics seems to have worked in Nevada, where the patient in New York has not, requiring perhaps a higher dose, longer duration, or even a different more powerful antibiotic. In short, I don't think the one size fits all approach is appropriate. In Nevada, roughly 90 days into the pandemic, we actually have 3 counties that have had no reported cases. Should those counties follow the same restrictions and duration (antibiotic treatment) as New York currently is?

I didn't catch where the good Doctor is from, but I believe people (myself included) CAN have a bias as to the news coming out of the region in which they live. Nevada has not been nearly as hard hit as other regions of the country, so I may be bias in that regard. Governor Sisolak has relaxed some of the restrictions state wide based on what he calls the best advice of the numbers and science. So far we have not has indications of a surge... Time will tell. I actually got a hair cut (the stylist and I both wore masks, there was only one other customer, and she took the implements out of a large jar of disinfectant) I felt very safe. We have also gone out to eat. Again, half the tables were removed, the menus were disposable, the wait staff wore masks (we didn't, hard to eat with a mask on) and we observed as each patron left, the wait staff sanitized the table and chairs and most things that would have been touched. Again, we felt very safe.

My wife works for a large construction company in Las Vegas and has been deemed essential. Again, I may be regionally biased, but lets look at her situation. The company employs roughly 500 employees. Most are workers in the field, but there are about 30 people in the office. In her position as VP Accounting, she has to interface with the office staff (maintaining proper protocols). Additionally, looking at the big picture, the carpenters, etc interface with the foremen, the foremen interface with the superintendents, the superintendents interface with the VP of Frame, VP of Trim (doors, molding, etc), and VP of Concrete respectively, who then interface with her in the normal course of business. So looking at the big picture, she could be exposed to as many as 500 people + whoever they interfaced with off the job. That is a huge number. Yet company wide, they have only had 2 confirmed cases and both were able to return to work within a couple of weeks (Doctors release required). If we lived in a different region, damn skippy I'd be worried. Here, not so much.

Just my humble perspective...

John
    2018 Silverado LTZ 3500HD CC LB 4X4 DRW Duramax/Allison
    2019 Momentum 381M w/Full Body Paint
    2016 Can Am Spyder F3 Limited Special Series
    2017 Can Am Outlander 1000 XT-P
    2016 Wrangler Hard Rock Unlimited
    1997 Bayliner Capri 1950 affectionately named Skinnydipper
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LV Naturist View Post
    I will admit I did read the essay, but I didn't watch the video. I would respectfully disagree with the good Doctor. I don't see the country as one patient, but more as multiple patients. Some patients (regions or states) are responding differently than others and it is my belief that the treatment needs to be more tailored to the individual patients response. As an example, lets look at Nevada vr New York. We both initially received the same treatment of (using his analogy) antibiotics in the form of lockdowns, social distancing, etc... Yet Nevada seems to have responded much better to the treatment than say New York. The initial dose and duration of antibiotics seems to have worked in Nevada, where the patient in New York has not, requiring perhaps a higher dose, longer duration, or even a different more powerful antibiotic. In short, I don't think the one size fits all approach is appropriate. In Nevada, roughly 90 days into the pandemic, we actually have 3 counties that have had no reported cases. Should those counties follow the same restrictions and duration (antibiotic treatment) as New York currently is?

I didn't catch where the good Doctor is from, but I believe people (myself included) CAN have a bias as to the news coming out of the region in which they live. Nevada has not been nearly as hard hit as other regions of the country, so I may be bias in that regard. Governor Sisolak has relaxed some of the restrictions state wide based on what he calls the best advice of the numbers and science. So far we have not has indications of a surge... Time will tell. I actually got a hair cut (the stylist and I both wore masks, there was only one other customer, and she took the implements out of a large jar of disinfectant) I felt very safe. We have also gone out to eat. Again, half the tables were removed, the menus were disposable, the wait staff wore masks (we didn't, hard to eat with a mask on) and we observed as each patron left, the wait staff sanitized the table and chairs and most things that would have been touched. Again, we felt very safe.

My wife works for a large construction company in Las Vegas and has been deemed essential. Again, I may be regionally biased, but lets look at her situation. The company employs roughly 500 employees. Most are workers in the field, but there are about 30 people in the office. In her position as VP Accounting, she has to interface with the office staff (maintaining proper protocols). Additionally, looking at the big picture, the carpenters, etc interface with the foremen, the foremen interface with the superintendents, the superintendents interface with the VP of Frame, VP of Trim (doors, molding, etc), and VP of Concrete respectively, who then interface with her in the normal course of business. So looking at the big picture, she could be exposed to as many as 500 people + whoever they interfaced with off the job. That is a huge number. Yet company wide, they have only had 2 confirmed cases and both were able to return to work within a couple of weeks (Doctors release required). If we lived in a different region, damn skippy I'd be worried. Here, not so much.

Just my humble perspective...

John
    "For a moment, think of the United States as a human body. Full of heart and mind. Bile and blood. Muscle and fat. Like any body, it has its strengths and weaknesses, and must consistently work to prevent disease and optimize function. It needs to nourish itself, exercise, and take care of its physical and mental health.
    And if the country, like the human body, were to get sick or infected, it should seek the best medical guidance and follow it, as hard as that might be."

I would ask you reread the essay. It wasn't meant to infer that "one size fits all" but as an analogy as to how to address the "symptom" of a disease that has no cure.
    I agree that differing areas, states, counties could / should be treated as case specific. Also as you infer many get myopic when looking at a situation. But they are not the points that the Doctor is trying to make.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.