User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dexter axle 311BHS

I’m going to be performing my first EZ lube service myself and I am not mechanically inclined. I’ve watched a few videos of how to do it, and it seems easy, but my confusion is with regard to lifting each individual tire because I have seen/read so many different ways of doing it.

I was going to lift the rv tire by the frame and chalk the wheels on the other side and then put Jackstands under for safety. I was NOT going to attach it to the truck.

But then I have read where some people lifted the tire by way of a jack directly under the hanger and then I have read where some people attached the camper to the truck. I’m a little confused since I’ve never done this and I would appreciate any feedback because I don’t want to do any damage.

Thanks
    Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Matt, Trish, Conner & Ethan
    2022 Imagine 2800BH
    2022 Ram 3500 Laramie
    Both Retired USAF

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the below jack/jack stand combo when I do my bearings. I place the saddle of the jack between the u-bolts. No hookup to the truck required and wont damage axlesClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20200517-082651_Amazon%20Shopping.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	62.8 KB 
ID:	26542

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    I use the below jack/jack stand combo when I do my bearings. I place the saddle of the jack between the u-bolts. No hookup to the truck required and wont damage axlesClick image for larger version. 

Thanks. I’m sure I’m over thinking it. I currently have it auto leveled in my driveway. I have a 12 ton bottle jack that I was going to place under the U-bolt and then just slightly jack it up enough to get tire to spin and then use jackstands.

2022 Imagine 2800BH
    2022 Ram 3500 Laramie
    Both Retired USAF

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjlebsa View Post
    Thanks. I’m sure I’m over thinking it. I currently have it auto leveled in my driveway. I have a 12 ton bottle jack that I was going to place under the U-bolt and then just slightly jack it up enough to get tire to spin and then use jackstands.

That works, but where would you put the jack stands? There is limited space by the u-bolts to place a jack and jack stands. The frame is fairly high and typical size jack stands dont usually reach the frame. This jack/jack stand combo easily fits where it needs to go and has the added benefit of the safety aspect of a jack stand. It also works well if you need to change a flat tire, I bring mine with me for that purpose.

2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That works, but where would you put the jack stands? There is limited space by the u-bolts to place a jack and jack stands. The frame is fairly high and typical size jack stands dont usually reach the frame. This jack/jack stand combo easily fits where it needs to go and has the added benefit of the safety aspect of a jack stand. It also works well if you need to change a flat tire, I bring mine with me for that purpose.

I have a safeJack jack stand. I was going to place that under the frame. It’s like the one pictured except the very top of it is a flat pad that allows me to put it flat against the frame.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Adjustments.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	85.8 KB 
ID:	26543

2022 Imagine 2800BH
    2022 Ram 3500 Laramie
    Both Retired USAF

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjlebsa View Post
    I have a safeJack jack stand. I was going to place that under the frame. It’s like the one pictured except the very top of it is a flat pad that allows me to put it flat against the frame.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Adjustments.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	85.8 KB 
ID:	26543

That's a viable option, I have one of those as well. Do whatever works easily for you as long as it is safe and wont cause damage. Seems like you have the right idea and should be good to go.

2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I too use exactly the same jack/jack stand when repacking my wheel bearings. Not necessary to have the truck hitched with the RV leveled and wheels chocked as its just normally setting there.
    I would also use the same jack/jackstand to change tires if I had a flat, knock on wood haven't had to change one yet.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel