User Tag List

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cfowler55 View Post
    The big problem is , per the Gd specs , that rv only has around 2200 lbs CCC. Pretty low for a 41’ rig.
    I agree. That particular model does have low CCC.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just for comparisons...

We added 180 to the steer,
    3,540 to the drive (total 3,720),
    and trailer axles were 14,140
    and with the 3500 GMC w/ 8.1 (crowds gasps at the gas engine), our gross is 25,560.
    This was with nearly full fresh water and empty waste tanks. I have not weighed it since the generator was installed. We may have added a few clothes in the nose, but moved straight from the Class C to the 390. When I sit and think, I don't really think that we have added 100# since it was originally weighed (other than the generator). With being over 140# on the trailer axles are almost a rounding error and not really a big concern for me. We have the Westlake "G" and having stopped several times from highway speed and checked tire and wheel temps without finding any potential issue.
    The MorRyde 8k IS and a minimum of 17.5 tires are on the agenda. I'm more concerned about the sideways twist on the spring hangers than the static or dynamic weights on the springs and tires.
    Last edited by ThePowells; 05-17-2020 at 11:53 PM.
    Jerry & Kelly Powell
    Zebulon, NC
    2020 Solitude 390RK-R :target:

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow that's heavy! My Solitude 375 RES is a very similar trailer and I've added the Onan generator and washer/dryer. Mine scaled at 12750 on the axles and 3860 on the pin the last time I weighed it. This was with all bedding, pots and pans, and glass plates and cups etc. This was also with two 40 pound LP bottles full and two batteries. I also have the pull out outside kitchen. That's 16610 pounds against a 16800 GVWR so I'm close as well. You must have some heavy stuff!
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Didn't see any mention of what was in the tanks, potable water, gray water, black water, fuel?
    Seems very unlikely that the RV is so heavy without much stuff in it.
    Scott & Susan
    2016 F250 CC SB SRW 4x4 pulling 2018 Momentum 349M
    Firestone Air Bags & 40 gal RDS Tank Bilstein 5100 Steering & 4600 Shocks

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by joebethbark View Post
    Also.. Yes we check the tires before every drive.. Have only had two other shorter ones. We keep them at the recommended 110 psi.
    Hi. We have a 2016 Solitude 379FL. We have had three blowouts with our last two 5th wheels, one of those in the Solitude with Westlake tires. Depending on who you ask, you will hear that you should always start out with the pressure set to the maximum recommended or to start out with slightly less pressure than maximum. Let me say from experience it doesn't matter. The blowout in the Solitude started out at exactly the max cold 80 PSI and 90 minutes later we were on the side of the road with shrapnel falling off our rig! I checked he remaining tires ad found them near 100 PSI. I let air out of them before continuing. On our previous RV we had load range "C" tires which I changed to "E" after two blowouts starting at lower than max pressure.

The moral of my story is this: I asked my tire dealer about my problem and was told that Carlisle had 16 in, load range "G" trailer 14-ply trailer-only tires rated at 4400 Lbs at 110 PSI (the maximum PSI for my rims as well). They cost less than the tires on my Taurus. I then bought an EZ-Tire Monitor kit for all four trailer tires and the six on my truck. I ended up getting the "repeater" unit also because the Solitude is so long it kept dropping the signal, but has never dropped it since. What I found out on the very first trip was that the trailer tires GAINED 20 TO 30 LBS WHILE DRIVING!!! At the recommendation of my tire guy I started that trip at 95 PSI. An hour of freeway later I had to stop and let air out of all four tires as they were already at the 110 PSI maximum! We left Friday, May 23 (yesterday) for a 2.5 hour trip on all 2-lane roads to a campground. At departure, all four tires were at 87-88 PSI. 45 minutes later at 60 Mph the alarm went off that two of those same tires were already at 110 Psi! We had to stop to let air out again. This is becoming normal thing. The tires on the sun-side run about 5 PSI higher than the shade-side.

So, what I can attest to is that now that I know that the tires were gaining air pressure while driving I can mitigate the problem by starting at a lower pressure and then the EZ-Tire monitor will keep me from blowing any more tires. Conversely, when coming back from Florida this Easter we started the trip at 86 PSI and 85 degrees outside. When we finally stopped for the night in northern Kentucky, it was 35 degrees outside (we were wearing shorts!). The tires dropped into the 70's by morning and I had to add air to silence the alarms on the EX-Tire monitor.

I will never again pull my RV a single mile without a working tire monitor kit. There are a few different brands of tire monitors out there, but get one! All of them are much cheaper than the $500 deductible on the $1750 insurance claim due to the blowout!
    Frank and Char + Maya, Newport, Michigan. 2016 Solitude 379FL/2006 F250 6.0 diesel w/dually conversion. 4th rain-sense roof vent, two ceiling fans, Kodiak disc brakes, Carlisle G 14-ply tires, Water Miser x2, final dump valve, water header tank, fridge cond fan switch, outside range exhaust, elec hot water anode, filtered drinking water, triple battery box,

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What speed were you going? We stay under 60 mph and have not had a problem with Westlakes.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The maximum inflation pressure is cold. So you can inflate to 110psi and not worry about pressure increase while driving, you don't need to bleed down pressure while towing. If you inflate to 110psi when it's 20 deg outside and then drive to a much warmer climate then you might need to bleed down the pressure some to compensate. The G-rated Westlake tires are rated for something like 84mph and I have been driving up to 75mph with them and not had any problems in years.
    Scott & Susan
    2016 F250 CC SB SRW 4x4 pulling 2018 Momentum 349M
    Firestone Air Bags & 40 gal RDS Tank Bilstein 5100 Steering & 4600 Shocks

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fez111 View Post
    Hi. What I found out on the very first trip was that the trailer tires GAINED 20 TO 30 LBS WHILE DRIVING!!! ... At departure, all four tires were at 87-88 PSI. 45 minutes later at 60 Mph the alarm went off that two of those same tires were already at 110 Psi! We had to stop to let air out again. This is becoming normal thing.
    A higher temp, after the tires warm up, is normal. If you read the sidewall, you’ll see that the pressure listed is for “cold”. This means before you start your trip, you haven’t recently driven on the tires, and they haven’t been sitting out in the sun. The tires are engineered to have a higher pressure after they warm up. That is how they are designed. You don’t/shouldn’t need to let air out of tires as they warm up. The pressure noted on the sidewall is not the maximum pressure that the tires will hold.

You may need to adjust the warning temp/pressure on your TPMS. I have this option on mine. If you don’t have the manual, everything is available, in short order, on the interweb. Just go to the manufacture’s site and you should be able to access a copy.
    Last edited by Richter; 05-24-2020 at 06:37 AM.
    Tom and Janice (known as Tom in PGH on the “other” forum)

First came the 18' Comfort bumper-pull, was great for 20 years.
    Now a 2019 Reflection 303RLS, second air, double glass, table and chairs
    2019 F350 Lariat (Diesel) 4x4 Crewcab with lots of goodies
    Andersen aluminum with the puck system holding it all together
    Cranberry Twp. PA, about 30 miles north of Pittsburgh

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fez111 View Post
    What I found out on the very first trip was that the trailer tires GAINED 20 TO 30 LBS WHILE DRIVING!!!
    First let me say I'm sorry to hear about the trouble you've had with tires. The E rated Westlake tires do not have a good reputation for the heavier Solitude trailers. Your experience with them is not unusual. Grand Design now uses G rated Westlake tires and they actually have a very good reputation so far.

As for tire pressures increasing while driving - that is normal. Tire manufactures set their tire inflation charts based on COLD tires. You inflate them to their recommended pressure when they are cold. So, if you have a G rated tire with a recommended cold tire inflation of 110psi, you should inflate to 110psi in the morning and preferably when the tires are out of the sun. As you drive, the tires will heat up and the pressure will increase. That is normal and you should not let air out of the tires during a trip to get back to 110psi!
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Richter View Post
    A higher temp, after the tires warm up, is normal. If you read the sidewall, you’ll see that the pressure listed is for “cold”. This means before you start your trip, you haven’t recently driven on the tires, and they haven’t been sitting out in the sun. The tires are engineered to have a higher pressure after they warm up. That is how they are designed. You don’t/shouldn’t need to let air out of tires as they warm up. The pressure noted on the sidewall is not the maximum pressure that the tires will hold.

You may need to adjust the warning temp/pressure on your TPMS. I have this option on mine. If you don’t have the manual, everything is available, in short order, on the interweb. Just go to the manufacture’s site and you should be able to access a copy.
    Howdy Neighbor (literally). I do not deny anything you say about this. However, we have gone on trips with the tires set to max cold pressure and others with slightly lower pressure. It doesn't matter with our Solitude. The one time I meticulously set all tires to exactly 80 PSI (Westlake max cold pressure on the sidewall) using a precision pressure gage bought specifically for this purpose, we blew a tire after an hour of driving. We pull the Solitude at exactly 62 Mph. That's because that's the speed our F250 purrs nicely at 1800 RPM in overdrive all day long. I agree that tires change pressure as they travel, I'm pretty sure they are not meant to travel with pressures increased 20-30%. Mine surely do. The second consideration is that the rims on our Solitude are rated 100 PSI max
    as stamped on the rim. Our new Carlisle 14-ply tires load range "G" are rated 110 Lbs max cold.

Because these tires are rated at a higher loading than the original Westlake tires, doing the math these new tires see about 3300 Lbs, or about 65% of max loading. The Westlake tires were at about 80% max load. The bottom line is this: I can either set my tires to max cold pressure and bolw a tire (because I've already done that on two different 5th wheels) or I can start low and use my monitoring system to keep them under max pressure of both the tires and the rims which has not yet blown a tire. My insurance company is tired of paying for repairs and I'm tired of going through this. According to General RV in Brownstown, Michigan, there are lots and lots of blowouts, way more than are listed here. Although what I am doing with my tires may seem silly, the peace of mind it brings it worth more than the tires...
    Frank and Char + Maya, Newport, Michigan. 2016 Solitude 379FL/2006 F250 6.0 diesel w/dually conversion. 4th rain-sense roof vent, two ceiling fans, Kodiak disc brakes, Carlisle G 14-ply tires, Water Miser x2, final dump valve, water header tank, fridge cond fan switch, outside range exhaust, elec hot water anode, filtered drinking water, triple battery box,

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast